PDA

View Full Version : Weight up the bow. How much is too much in 4.5m tinny?

Si
31-08-2013, 03:44 PM
I finally managed to make a decision and purchased a boat after having to sell my haines signature. I ended up keeping things cheap and simple and purchased a second hand 4.55 Sea Jay territory with a pull start 2 stroke 50hp yammy. It has a custom made alloy 50litre fuel tank mounted underneath the cast deck. I'm planning on putting a bow mount electric on it and mounting my 100 amp agm battery also underneath the casting deck in the bow area but was concerned whether all this additional equipment (weight) will make it too nose heavy and ultimately affect the ride and general handling of the boat. My new battery weighs 23.5kgs. The existing battery is located on the starboard deck corner in a box. Does anyone have a similar type setup and did you encounter any issues with the ride?

Cheers

grumpy santa
31-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Grab a couple of 20 litre water drums, fill or part fill them with water to approximate the weight of the bow mount ,battery, esky etc., then move them around the boat during a test run.

It's a quicker and cheaper option than doing a heap of work and getting the balance wrong and no 'oops that's not right' extra holes in the boat.

Si
31-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Grab a couple of 20 litre water drums, fill or part fill them with water to approximate the weight of the bow mount ,battery, esky etc., then move them around the boat during a test run.

It's a quicker and cheaper option than doing a heap of work and getting the balance wrong and no 'oops that's not right' extra holes in the boat.

yep great idea mate.

Tangles
31-08-2013, 05:30 PM
I finally managed to make a decision and purchased a boat after having to sell my haines signature. I ended up keeping things cheap and simple and purchased a second hand 4.55 Sea Jay territory with a pull start 2 stroke 50hp yammy. It has a custom made alloy 50litre fuel tank mounted underneath the cast deck. I'm planning on putting a bow mount electric on it and mounting my 100 amp agm battery also underneath the casting deck in the bow area but was concerned whether all this additional equipment (weight) will make it too nose heavy and ultimately affect the ride and general handling of the boat. My new battery weighs 23.5kgs. The existing battery is located on the starboard deck corner in a box. Does anyone have a similar type setup and did you encounter any issues with the ride?

Cheers

Hi MAte,

I did have a Seajay Territory 4.55, 55 min kota and battery up front under the casting deck, other battery was down the back usual spot. It rode great but i didnt have the 50 litre underfloor tank, only the usual tote

Moffy
31-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Pull start - but does it have power trim and tilt? (Assume no - can you get trim and tilt without electric start???) If yes has t'n't - then it should be no dramas at all. If no - then probably still no issue for that much weigh - too much weight down the back is a bigger issue than too much weight up the front ( within reason) I chuck my spare fuel tank right up the front to actually get me more weight up front in my 3.9 tinny (25hp) as it rides at a much better attitude than if I have both tanks and battery down the back.

Moffy.

Si
31-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Pull start - but does it have power trim and tilt? (Assume no - can you get trim and tilt without electric start???) If yes has t'n't - then it should be no dramas at all. If no - then probably still no issue for that much weigh - too much weight down the back is a bigger issue than too much weight up the front ( within reason) I chuck my spare fuel tank right up the front to actually get me more weight up front in my 3.9 tinny (25hp) as it rides at a much better attitude than if I have both tanks and battery down the back.

Moffy.

Moffy, no trim and tilt unfortunately. cheers mate.

Si
31-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Hi MAte,

I did have a Seajay Territory 4.55, 55 min kota and battery up front under the casting deck, other battery was down the back usual spot. It rode great but i didnt have the 50 litre underfloor tank, only the usual tote

cheers Tangles. Good to know. Can I ask why you got rid of it out of curiosity?

Tangles
31-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Basically if it was all just about me then id still probably have it but a half cab suits my better half better so now we have a small CC Explorer 485.

Resale value on the Seajay was good and frankly i love them, great tinny, cant see you going wrong! one of the better tinnies, it was great around the bay.