PDA

View Full Version : Top Ender 470 or 490

Bassmaster1
27-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Hi All

I am currently searching to purchase a new boat and have narrowed my search criteria down to the Quintrex Top Ender range, either 470 or 490. We do mostly eastury/bay/river and some inshore fishing.

I am looking to buy a new used model, so anything from 2008 onwards would suit my criteria, budget upto 33k for the right 490.

Does anyone know what HP is needed to sufficiently power the 470 and 490. I have checked the specs and the 470 is max rated to 60HP which I though would be a little light on, but by no means am I a marine engineer. Also, the 490 (preferred vessel) max rated to 90HP but I have seen a few with 60-70 HP 4 strokes, it sounds like these might be a little underdone regarding hole shot with a few blokes and some gear.

Does anyone babe any experience in fitting out these boats with suitable HP? Also any other purchasing information / general advice would be welcomed.

I will also be listing for sale shortly my Mustang Tournament 1600 Johnson 4 stroke 2004 model with all the extras and fittings, looking for around $24-$25 k PM me if you are interfered. Located close to Brisbane CBD.

Cheers

Bruce

Bassmaster1
27-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Hi sorry if forgot to add please share your experiences with either vessel. It looks like the 470 is a bit cheaper but it has the narrower beam width, and a few less options. I thought the extra length may come in handy for any bar crossings or offshore trips but not sure if it will really make much difference at all?

Cheers

Giveitacrack
27-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Forget the Quintrex buy a Clark Dominator 485 or 515 starting from $26 k new! Much better boat not mass produced,more features,fully welded.Also for a little more $$ look at the Tabs Territory Pro.Just my opinion

rodneyk
27-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Forget the Quintrex buy a Clark Dominator 485 or 515 starting from $26 k new! Much better boat not mass produced,more features,fully welded.Also for a little more $$ look at the Tabs Territory Pro.Just my opinion
You obviously have never ridden in or owned a quintrex top ender they would leave that crap for dead in every way

Bassmaster1
27-08-2013, 07:02 PM
All reports I have read the top ender is the front runner in this class of boat. I checked out the Clark Dominators they look good, all 2013 models as they must be a new model? Karee Marine is just down the road from my work so I will go and have a chat to them, although they are all set up with 2 strokes where I am really after a 4. I also checked out the Mako Frenzy but the reviews suggest it doesn't handle that well in the chop/rough conditions which is where the top ender apparently comes into its own.

Bassmaster1
27-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Also if someone is lookin to sell or knows someone who wants to sell thier top ender please feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Camhawk88
27-08-2013, 07:27 PM
You obviously have never ridden in or owned a quintrex top ender they would leave that crap for dead in every way

I wouldnt know- I havent been in either.

But have you been in a Dominator to verify your statement?

myusernam
27-08-2013, 08:00 PM
been in a 460 many times with 60hp yammie and a 455 top ender with 50hp etec.
the 60 is a nice fit. I think somone up here has a 470 with a 70. Not the fastest boat in the world with 60hp but adequatley powered. I oubt the extra foot will worry it too much. Bit more weight but the can carry a fair load. If you intend to travel long distances (i.e. nt rivers) it might pay to get the largest outboard you can. From memory we cruised in the 460 at between 19 and 21 knots for 4000 rpm fully loaded. Yammie 60hp is such a sweet motor though... for the 490 dont know what I'd stick on. Suzi 80?

Bassmaster1
27-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Cheers for the post myusernam. It's handy to know first hand experiences how the various combos available perform, particularly with a load on board. My mentality has always been to get the max HP (or close to it) for the hull rating. Nothing worse than buy a slouch then looking at changin motors.

I would think the 490 would get alon with 80/90 HP, there are 2 for sale with 90HP ETeC, only thing I'm not completely sold on the eTEC from a resale and ongoing maintence perspective. I have also been informe the 480 is a good boat, rated upto 80HP with 95ltr underfloor fuel tank, that does sound appealing for those longer trips.

Also any advice on fitting a minn Kota too, size lb thrust etc.

Cheers

sporty1
27-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Hi
I have just recently purchased the 480 Top Ender with 70hp yamaha. With two 85kg males full fuel fishing gear maxes at 30 knots and nearly 6000 RPM. The hull is IMO the best on the market in this class of boat and I couldn't be happier with the rig. Looked at bigger top ender with 90hp Suzuki but trolling speed too fast, weight too much for me to handle alone or retrieve. And as most of my fishing is no more than 2 persons the 480 is perfect. Mine only has 70l tank and I have 55 lb ipilot as standard and it works fine.

upstart
27-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Dunno if this will help.....
A good mate has the 510 Top Ender with a 75 Optimax on it.
Turns out that it has plenty of power. Four blokes. Big esky. Crab pots Etc. no dramas.
I've been really impressed by its ride and fish ability. I've got a Haines 565F so I'm comparing the ride to that.

myusernam
28-08-2013, 07:43 AM
actualy the rig I was thinking of was 480 with 70hp yamm.
Mate has a 90 etec. I have heard lots of reports of the 90 in particular having issues and know another guy that had his junk at 700 hours. I have had a ficht since new and am happy so am not a traitional etec basher. Good or bad their resale isn't the best. The 90 and even the 50 dont have as good as economy as some of the fours. Mate with the 90 (admittedly on a large boat) gets 1nm per litre. I would have thought a four stroke 90 even on a large boat might get better economy. The 60 yammie is a great motor, but I don't know if you gain much with the 70.
I think theyammie 80 is too big/ heavy being a derated 115. Not a clear winnerfor me in the 80/90hp class but the suzi might be ok?
Anyway I think the quinnies are the best boat in this size range. They really do work well and the hull makes them very dry and they are very comfortable and have excellent resale. I would always stay with 55Ft/LB. Once you go to 24 it gets very expensive. 55ft/lb on a sub 5m boat is fine and even if your boat is bigger just get bigger battery and onboard charging to compensate. The 460 was still fairly big to handle onto the trailer and up small creeks, so I'd be wary of going too large. They are a heavy boat.
The 480 with a 70hp yammie might be a good compromise between both.

Giveitacrack
28-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Obviously a Quintrex owner.I have been in many a Quintrex (not Top Enders) with millennium hulls and whilst not disputing there ride just giving old mate Bassmaster1 options. What makes the others crap and have you been in them ??

RayLamp
28-08-2013, 09:40 AM
The weight of a 490 shouldnt be an issue. One person should easily be able to launch and retrieve it solo. They would be easy to drive on/off the trailer.

The 490 would be the better buy - if you want to use the boat in NSW waters, the boat has to be over 4.8 metres in length for you to not have to wear a life jacket whenver in the boat solo. Quintrex have recently made a 481 lazeabout for that very reason.

The 490 would give you a few more options to go further out if so desired. You'd be a litte more limited in the smaller model. And get a yamaha 80 4 stroke, Suzuki DF90A or Honda BF90. Sweeeet.

ericcs
28-08-2013, 10:53 AM
actualy the rig I was thinking of was 480 with 70hp yamm.
Mate has a 90 etec. I have heard lots of reports of the 90 in particular having issues and know another guy that had his junk at 700 hours. I have had a ficht since new and am happy so am not a traitional etec basher. Good or bad their resale isn't the best. The 90 and even the 50 dont have as good as economy as some of the fours. Mate with the 90 (admittedly on a large boat) gets 1nm per litre. I would have thought a four stroke 90 even on a large boat might get better economy. The 60 yammie is a great motor, but I don't know if you gain much with the 70.
I think theyammie 80 is too big/ heavy being a derated 115. Not a clear winnerfor me in the 80/90hp class but the suzi might be ok?
Anyway I think the quinnies are the best boat in this size range. They really do work well and the hull makes them very dry and they are very comfortable and have excellent resale. I would always stay with 55Ft/LB. Once you go to 24 it gets very expensive. 55ft/lb on a sub 5m boat is fine and even if your boat is bigger just get bigger battery and onboard charging to compensate. The 460 was still fairly big to handle onto the trailer and up small creeks, so I'd be wary of going too large. They are a heavy boat.
The 480 with a 70hp yammie might be a good compromise between both.

the yamaha 80 4st is a derated 100. the 115 is a bigger powerhead and much heavier.
brother inlaw has a 100 on his 500 topender and it flies, so the 80 wouldn't be far behind

Bassmaster1
28-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks Sporty1 for your post. What year model is the 480 you bought and is the yammie 2 or 4 stroke? I am glad to hear you are very happy with the rig!

Cheers

Bassmaster1
28-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks upstart. The 2 stroke power delivery would be somewhat different to a four in the same category, the opti would get up on the plane a whole lot easier than an squivilent 4 stroke? How does the 510 handle up creeks etc, does it feel like a big boat or still a tinny? Soo many options..

Cheers

Bassmaster1
28-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks for that and also the other info on the ETec, it seems for every good story I hear about them, there are 10 bad ones!

Cheers

Bassmaster1
28-08-2013, 03:53 PM
The weight of a 490 shouldnt be an issue. One person should easily be able to launch and retrieve it solo. They would be easy to drive on/off the trailer.

The 490 would be the better buy - if you want to use the boat in NSW waters, the boat has to be over 4.8 metres in length for you to not have to wear a life jacket whenver in the boat solo. Quintrex have recently made a 481 lazeabout for that very reason.

The 490 would give you a few more options to go further out if so desired. You'd be a litte more limited in the smaller model. And get a yamaha 80 4 stroke, Suzuki DF90A or Honda BF90. Sweeeet.

Thanks Raylamp some good info particularly on NSW waterways, don't suppose you know how they measure the vessel for the purpose of the ruling, ie now rail to engine or raw hull length?

Cheers

RayLamp
28-08-2013, 04:11 PM
They dont include the engine. Its hull length. And I am pretty sure the guys out on the water are familiar with a lot of hulls so you couldnt pull the wool over their eyes!

I've got a 455 and its just under 4.7 metres. The guy on the water knew that.

sporty1
28-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Mine is last years model with 4 stoke 70hp yammie

rodneyk
28-08-2013, 05:44 PM
AH were too start clark v quintrex finish innovation better ride resale value better paint job rotor moulded inners in storage areas for the last twelve years fully rigged harnesses etc hydraulic steering . Yes I have owned a few not at the moment though but will again . To answer your question once you ride in or fish from one you will understand why they are sort after

Bassmaster1
28-08-2013, 06:04 PM
They dont include the engine. Its hull length. And I am pretty sure the guys out on the water are familiar with a lot of hulls so you couldnt pull the wool over their eyes!

I've got a 455 and its just under 4.7 metres. The guy on the water knew that.

Yeah I bet there are a few people out there who don't actually know the length of thier own boat (ie your 455 almost 470). Still very handy knowledge to have as we do slip into blues territory down to the tweed / Clarence rivers when we can.

Cheers

ericcs
28-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Dunno if this will help.....
A good mate has the 510 Top Ender with a 75 Optimax on it.
Turns out that it has plenty of power. Four blokes. Big esky. Crab pots Etc. no dramas.
I've been really impressed by its ride and fish ability. I've got a Haines 565F so I'm comparing the ride to that.

i can imagine the 75 opti would have heaps of grunt, as they are the same engine as the 90,115 and 125 opti's. weight is comparable to the 80/100hp 4st yami's

oldie
28-08-2013, 08:21 PM
if you like travelling nose down buy a clark they just bury pretty badly from what ive seen basically no trim range at all

ericcs
28-08-2013, 08:39 PM
sent you a pm

Bassmaster1
29-08-2013, 12:48 AM
if you like travelling nose down buy a clark they just bury pretty badly from what ive seen basically no trim range at all

Hi Oldie thanks for the tip ill keep the Clark in mind if I decide to travel directly into the northerlies this year! LOL

Cheers

Bassmaster1
29-08-2013, 12:50 AM
i can imagine the 75 opti would have heaps of grunt, as they are the same engine as the 90,115 and 125 opti's. weight is comparable to the 80/100hp 4st yami's

Thanks mate yep the 2 bangers have a lot more grunt out of the hole but unf I am a 4 stroke stalwart (:

Cheers

Kev_McC
29-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Mine (470) has the Yam F60 and it's been fine for everything estuary and some inshore. Big loads (eg eskies and 4 adults) don't make much difference to it's cruising speed, it's not propped for pace. Usually cruise at 18-19 knots and it's very economical at that speed. Maxes out at 26knots on a good day.
I've fished in a lot of tinnies (not a Clark though...) and while several of them have had better finish and sometimes better features, none of them have matched the topender for ride and dryness. I've never had any issue with mine at all
cheers

upstart
29-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Hey Bassmaster,
The 510 feels like a good solid boat underfoot. It's got high sides so it doesn't really feel small at all.
I think the 75 Optimax has the same block as the 90 so that probably explains the good get up and go. It's a great engine I reckon.

myusernam
29-08-2013, 10:55 AM
at 174kg the 80 is a bit of a pig. the 115 is 15kg's heavier.

kaspa2009
29-08-2013, 11:30 AM

really? my clark kakadu pro doesn't bury the nose, I'm intrigued to know if this is a common clark issue.

oldie
29-08-2013, 12:42 PM
the kakadu is a vnose punt style isn't it? different hull than a standard mono

kaspa2009
29-08-2013, 04:30 PM
the kakadu is a vnose punt style isn't it? different hull than a standard mono

The current kakadu range is the same hull as the previous estuary series so vnose punt style, my boat is identical to the current dominator 435 so the standard mono hull. not meaning to high jack this thread just interested if others have experienced the same thing with clark boats.

davo
29-08-2013, 08:58 PM
The Quinnies ride OK but are like a wobbly boot to ride in. They flex badly. A bloke I work with has one with about 200hours on it and has heaps of problems. The Clark's are excellent. I own a Fisher 480 and Clark 396 Magnum. Both with bowmounts etc.... I towed the little Clark 7000Km and fished all over the Gulf and across to Townsville and down the coast back to Brisbane. The best one was two up loaded to the hilt with gear etc... for four days with a stiff NE wind heading for Cape Upstart. I loved it. They are solid dry and ride well and that is coming from a plate alloy owner. In fact it beats my father's TABS 4.2 in ride and handling. If my Fisher was stolen that would be the first pressed alloy I'd look at.

I've just seen too many Quinnies fall apart and they are over priced.

upstart
30-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Davo,
I know that NE wind across upstart bay very very well. That's why I bought a Haines Hunter!
If you have to do that trip again take a hard right as you come out of molongle and run up the bay in just two feet of water. Then take a hard left and run in the troughs across to the sand spit. You might get a bit wet but you avoid the banging.

hooknpull
30-08-2013, 11:05 PM
My friend has the 490 with a yam 70hp. It's a great little boat and I would buy one in a beat. His wot is 60kmh and jumps out of the water fine. The 490 has a few extras such as live bait in casting deck and a few other things I can't remember. If u can afford it get the 490. These boats are the best riding boat for that size. I had a seajay and have mates with formosas tabs allycraft stacer and the 490 is best of them all. Don't forget under 480 everyone needs to wear a life jacket it's the law. Good luck with the shopping!
And it's the driest tinny I have been in too!

Bassmaster1
31-08-2013, 06:38 PM
My friend has the 490 with a yam 70hp. It's a great little boat and I would buy one in a beat. His wot is 60kmh and jumps out of the water fine. The 490 has a few extras such as live bait in casting deck and a few other things I can't remember. If u can afford it get the 490. These boats are the best riding boat for that size. I had a seajay and have mates with formosas tabs allycraft stacer and the 490 is best of them all. Don't forget under 480 everyone needs to wear a life jacket it's the law. Good luck with the shopping!
And it's the driest tinny I have been in too!

Hi Hooknpull thanks for the post, helpful. The next step for me is to start road resting a few different models when im back in Aus next week, will be between th 480 & 490 with a decent sized 4 on the back.

Cheers,

Bassmaster1
31-08-2013, 06:42 PM
HI All thanks for everyone for thier good / bad / ugly stories regarding the top enders and thier equivilents. From here the next part for me is to road test a few when back in Aus, now looking for a good 480 or 490 with close to max rated 4 stroke outboard, side console etc. Its very hard to differentiate between all the various models and manufactures so peoples real life experiences are very valuable in helping me research the various models.

Tight lines everyone and ill keep you updated with my progress and any more interesting research i come across.

Cheers,