PDA

View Full Version : DIY T-Top for centre console

ozzyfishaman
26-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Hi everyone, i am new so thought i would start a discussion on a topic that is driving me nuts.
I want to build a T - top for my centre console, mainly because the pre packed ones are so flimsy and the good custom made ones have quotes around 1500.
Anyone built one before - stainless or ally?? i am thinking of welding it all up myself but have only worked with plain steel before. I know i can hire a TIG or MiG for a few days and buy materials for around 500.

gpz1991
26-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Hey ozzy,
Built my own hard top using 32 dia 3mm wall alloy
I bought a pipe bender and tig welder
You can hire the bender from hire shops but for what it was going to cost me for a weekend I bought it for $20 more and did not need to rush
Tig welder s that can weld alloy are very hard to hire, I needed a new welder so just bought 1
Only certain types of tig welders can be used to weld alloy, you can mig it but I have not tried this,
Do lots of research on the net before you start, good luck

Paul

balefish
27-08-2013, 05:58 AM
You need an AC tig for aluminium and DC for stainless, you will need some practice to get a good finish on your welds. With all welding clean all foreign material before welding. Good luck. :)

Shark Poker
27-08-2013, 06:06 AM
I agree that the 'pre packed ones' can be rather flimsy, but they sell some of the tube mount, connection and other useful bits as individual items.
Could be very handy for you to use.
Pauly

burleygu
27-08-2013, 06:06 AM
stainless rods on a arc welder?

rowanda
28-08-2013, 07:35 PM
i bought one of the "flimsy" ones from a mate who got it new with his boat (he is a welder and was building his own) we strenthened it and made it so it can be taken down and the covers still go on. Put 2 bars from the front and back that go to the console. Cost less than $100 for the tube and fittings to strengthen it and now is great....maybe a cheaper option?

MrNanks
28-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Hey ozzy,
Built my own hard top using 32 dia 3mm wall alloy
I bought a pipe bender and tig welder
You can hire the bender from hire shops but for what it was going to cost me for a weekend I bought it for $20 more and did not need to rush
Tig welder s that can weld alloy are very hard to hire, I needed a new welder so just bought 1
Only certain types of tig welders can be used to weld alloy, you can mig it but I have not tried this,
Do lots of research on the net before you start, good luck

PaulHi Paul.
What type of tube bender did you buy?
Did you fill the aluminium with sand before bending to stop crimping the tube ?

I was looking at a cheap one for a similar job but I wasn't convinced it would do the job. Same with the bloke in the shop.

Cheers Dave

gpz1991
28-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Dave,
Bought a cheap 10T press bender, filled tube with dry fine sand, make sure you fill it completely then tap it and top up, only had 2 failures when my son did not fill correctly .

Paul

MrNanks
28-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Hey Paul,
It is good to be able to blame your son. I will have to get mine to help too.
Was the bender from a place like Trade Tools ?? About $160 for a 12t.

Cheers