PDA

View Full Version : Honda 4-stroke telltale clogging frequently. What's up?

PeterKroll
26-08-2013, 10:00 AM
My 1990 Honda 4-stroke telltale clogged four times yesterday . When unclogged, the was a good strong stream. Is this a symptom of something deeper, or is this normal?

We were in an estuary, water was not deep, but we did not run aground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fillet`n`Release
26-08-2013, 12:15 PM
When you unclogged it what was the obstruction ? I had a similar problem on my 18 month old Suzuki last week, but once I cleaned it out it was a combination of what looked like white grease mixed with a bit of sand and shellgrit. Not that I've been ploughing through sandbars but yeah the intake does pick it up in shallow water I suppose. I left the tail off for a bit and flushed the motor to make sure all the crap was clear.

cormorant
26-08-2013, 12:32 PM
worst case could be bits of impeller breaking off. unlikely but can happen with a old degraded one. Unless you are clearing the pipe properly it could have been the same bit of grit blocking it each time as you are just pushing it back up the hose to resettle back and clog again?

Spaniard_King
26-08-2013, 03:07 PM
What year/Model Honda??

Some of the tel tales block up inside the block and not just the hose.

Nothing sinister about a tel tale blocking up

PeterKroll
26-08-2013, 06:34 PM
worst case could be bits of impeller breaking off. unlikely but can happen with a old degraded one. Unless you are clearing the pipe properly it could have been the same bit of grit blocking it each time as you are just pushing it back up teh hose to resettle back and clog again?
That's a good clue. I'll take the hose off and have a look.

PeterKroll
26-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Cormorant, not sure, but the flow is strong when cleared. Wait and see, I guess.

PeterKroll
26-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Just looked like a bit of ordinary grit, amte.

PeterKroll
26-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Honda 2000 BF25D, Spaniard.