PDA

View Full Version : Alloy hull opions please

Howso77
22-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Hi all,

Looking for forum member opinions on a future hull to suit my fishing needs!

I am currently really enjoying my Side Console Trailcraft 465 Profish (4.95 LOA) but am starting to consider my next boat largely due to some minor limitations of the traily.

As I am reasonably inexperienced in the alloy boat world I was hoping to get some opinions from boaties who have first hand experience with some of the boats in the market. My previous boats were a Yalta 555HC and a 7m long boat, both glass, but I am really happy with the utilitarian nature of alloy.

So to be fair I have been extremely happy with the Trailcraft;

The Pros
1 - Alloy hull
2 - Fully sealed deck with scuppers
3 - Small and easily trailerable
4 - Fits in a single car space
5 - Tough as nails
6 - Solid/heavy for its size

What I would like to improve in the new hull
1 - a larger fuel tank. Currently a 65l, newer models had 120l.
2 - More storage space in the boat.
3 - Little large LOA but still single axle trailer and preferably single garage size. I am happy to consider a swing away hitch but thing LOA of 5.25-6m would be better.
4 - Slightly higher sheerline and gunnel to floor depth.
5 - Ability to take a larger donk (current traily has 60hp Merc 4 stroke) I'd be keener with a little more push for those clear days but also want a good ratio of fuel per hp. The newer model with 2:1 ratio (120l fuel:60hp would be good.

Having just done a Wathumba Creek camp/fish run from Urangan I think the above would be more desirable.. Esp. with a fully loaded vessel..

I guess I would like to say that I am really happy with my trailcraft and very impressed but there are one or two things that I would do differently and I want to see if anyone has idnetified a hull that fits the bill. I am considering a larger Profish but interested in other alternatives.

Anyway keen to hear the thoughts and opinions.;D

Howso

Mrs Ronnie H
22-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Hi

Have you looked at Formosa. We own one and so far cannot fault it. Available in different models,CC,side consol, etc. Side walls are alot higher than some boats. Worth checking out.

Mrs H

Luke G
22-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Origin 4x4 series

Si
22-08-2013, 08:49 PM
nice boats and I would love to have one but a little overpriced in my opinion. Around for 50k for a aluminium bowrider :-? Wish I could afford one......

Dan5
22-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Origin Axis series...

outwide1
22-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Custom built Performance Plate Boat.

bluefin59
23-08-2013, 04:25 AM
Talk to col at ORIGIN he will build what you need ,or go in to the search engine up the top and put origin in and have a look you will be surprised what you will find ...Matt

Malcolm W
23-08-2013, 07:17 AM
If you are happy with the trailcraft, the 525 has everything your after.

johncar
23-08-2013, 09:44 PM
+1 for Origin AXIS, probably a few more $$$ but the benefits will be quickly revealed particularly if you can arrange a proper sea test.

davo
24-08-2013, 06:51 PM
The biggest problem with both the Trailcraft and the Formosa Tomahawk is lack of storage. I have a Fisher 480 side console. I fish up at the Gulf with a bloke with a 475 Trailcraft side console. I find the Trailcraft way behind my boat. Under the casting desk is the kill tank and that's it. No storage for any battery to run a bowmount or anything else. The Trailcraft is a very flat hull and rides hard compared to mine. The list goes on. In fact my mate has bought a Formosa Tomahawk as he is sick of the Trailcraft. The Formosa on the plus side is a much better hull shape but still very little storage in the front. The other problem is a very low useless casting deck. Sorry but that my opinion after fishing from my boat for over 10 years and fishing out of a lot of other similar sized boats.

Try an Origin. Col knows how to design and build a plate boat. Ask for kill tank, self draining hatches on the casting desks, offset the front batteries on the bowmount to balance the side console and proper rod storage.

Howso77
25-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Hi davo, you pretty much nailed the lack of storage and yes the weight balancing issue is a real one with a dual battery setup. I mounted both my batteries up in the console on the left side but it still has a real lean when I am on my own. The storage is a real killer and I guess the combination of those two plus my desire for a bit more punch and length overall prompted this post. I can't fault the toughness of the trailcraft but I think the hull is more suited to inshore than offshore. I have so many things I want to do to the Traily I am wondering whether I don't start with another hull that ticks some of the boxes upfront. Especially things like larger fuel tank and more storage which would be a major operation in the existing trailcraft!

Thanks all for your contributions. Clearly the Origin Axis comes well recommended and I will go and check them out. I've had a good look at their website and it is probably one of the most comprehensive. Also the build thread on "mini me" has given me a good indication of the build.

I wouldn't rule out the larger Trailcraft necessarily as the specs on the 525 offer a greater sheerline, more power etc. Still a lack of storage though.

Anyway thanks all. I would be happy to continue to receive any ideas. Oh and please don't take this thread as a negative against the trailcraft. I have been more than happy with her I think I might just be outgrowing her!! ;)

Dantren
25-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Hey Howso, do you have a budget in mind? Are you looking at pre-loved or does it have to be new?

Howso77
25-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Hi Dantren,

I'm open to all options. You'll note I refer to the "hull" cause I feel if I find the right hull (new or used) I can fit it out exactly how I want.

I've even considered some of the older Profish's in the bigger size and I would sell of any unwanted items and refit with new motor, electronics, etc.

A Trailcraft 525 can be had new for circa. $38k (hull and motor) and I imagine the Origins are nearer to $50k..

Luke G
25-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Hi Dantren,

I'm open to all options. You'll note I refer to the "hull" cause I feel if I find the right hull (new or used) I can fit it out exactly how I want.

I've even considered some of the older Profish's in the bigger size and I would sell of any unwanted items and refit with new motor, electronics, etc.

A Trailcraft 525 can be had new for circa. $38k (hull and motor) and I imagine the Origins are nearer to $50k..

Give the boys at origin a call, you might be surprised.

A 5m axis hull will probably be around 24k depending on options, cheeper again if you just want them to just do the hot works, then add your motor 90 suzuki 13k and trailer 4k $41K For an extra 3k you have a brand new plate ali rig, rather then a pressed ali. I know what I'd rather have. When I was doing my reaserch I found a formosa was dearer then an origin (This is in WA mind you) I had a origin booked in to be built but then came across a 5.5 Axis with less then 100 hours 15K below replacement - I eneded up buying that boat.

Cheers

craigk1
25-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Have a look at Mclay Fortress very strong boat, good outside and chasing barra up creeks good allrounder

Cheers Craig

davo
25-08-2013, 07:47 PM
I'm with Craig on the McLay too. I was thinking of them after I posted. The Mclay will draw a bit less water and they will customise. I was hoping you weren't offended with my post but that was my honest opinion.

I also hate high sides on a boat. Most new boats suffer from this. You may ask why? High sides make a boat difficult to work from and they lean into the wind and make the whole electric outboard thing a real problem. Remember my old Fisher is a 2002 Wynnum built boat pre laser cut model so the sides are about perfect. On that point the Mclay is much better. The Kiwis build a much nicer proportioned hull with less power to push them.

eyeskeenas
25-08-2013, 07:53 PM
My 4.9mt Blue water CC, ticks all your boxes. 115hp 4st merc, 170lt fuel, 200lt flooding kill tank, loads of storage in casting deck. under 6mt BMT, and much more capable than me. sorry not for sale but happy to show you if it helps you see what you can get in a small package