PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Boat boat of the year 2013

fisho8
22-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Well it was an awesome day Yesterday and a great experience for me. My New Surtees has featured in this years Trailer Boat, Boat of the Year awards held on the Gold Coast. I went down with the guys at Northside Marine with my 6.1 Game Fisher and Stabicrafts 1850 Fisher. The line up was the 2 boats above A Crestliner, barcrusher 615 gen 2 hull, Quintrex 650 trident, and a sailfish cat. All great boats and it was good to go for a ride in a couple of them. We all spent Tuesday night at the Treasure Island caravan park and had an early start the next morning. We had put the boats in Tuesday night at one of the local marinas ready to go the next morning. We were on the water heading out at 5.30am bound for the seaway for formation shots with the helicopter. That was a very memorable experience that is for sure the helicopter got super close to us to the point he could have landed on the roof of my boat at some points he was a great Pilot. After that we went off to Wave Break island where we were to spend the day doing photo shoots and action shots while we were waiting for the judges to get ready to take the boats out and test them. I had 5 judges test my boat for the day and they really put the boats through it's paces I went out on every run and was asked to explain the features of the boat along with the Part owner of Surtees part owner Cliff Schick and Bill Hull the manager of Northside Marine. All the judges were very impressed and loved the boat so fingers crossed we get the goods. I got to speak with a lot of well known people in the boat building industry to such as Junga (owner of Evoloution Boats) Alan Whittley, tim from Stabicraft boats and of course cliff from Surtees to name a few. It was a day I will never forget.:)

fisho8
22-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Here's a bit off footage I got we are travelling in a straight line but it gives you a look at the chopper and what it does...Please excuse my vid taking skills haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR0aD0rTV2g&feature=youtu.be

Matt76
22-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Nice boat mate!

honda900
22-08-2013, 06:08 PM
why no sounder?

Geez yamahahahas are noisy... :-X

Nah only joking..

Regards
Honda.

kaspa2009
22-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Its a top boat Mick, best of luck in the comp!
Brendan

Dicktracey
22-08-2013, 07:05 PM
I bet the Talk with Junga was an interesting one, I suppose him & I are best mates ?

fisho8
22-08-2013, 07:08 PM
why no sounder?

Geez yamahahahas are noisy... :-X

Nah only joking..

Regards
Honda.

Haha Yeah I know mate the depth was set wrong on it when I looked at it, it was set on 10mtrs and we were in a lot deeper than that and Yeah those Yammis are a bit noisy but it is a sweet noise. Cheers mate

Gon Fishun
22-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Wow. what a blast man. Video footage from the chopper would look great.

fisho8
22-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Its a top boat Mick, best of luck in the comp!
Brendan

Thanks big fella you up for another fish soon.

fisho8
22-08-2013, 07:23 PM
I bet the Talk with Junga was an interesting one, I suppose him & I are best mates ?

PM sent big guy.

Dicktracey
22-08-2013, 08:01 PM
PM sent big guy.
Did Evo have a boat in this Year Mick ? Their 2011 Trailer boat of the year wasn't all it was cracked up to be ;)

honda900
22-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Did Evo have a boat in this Year Mick ? Their 2011 Trailer boat of the year wasn't all it was cracked up to be ;)

well maybe cracked up..

Regards
Honda..

fisho8
22-08-2013, 09:13 PM

Yeah they had the 600 Extreme hardtop in the glass category had a bit of a look at it in the Marina saw a few things that I thought could have been a bit better but overall it looked ok Bill reckons I am too fussy but it is the little things that count the most to me. quality control defiantly needs to be taken seriously with some builders if they want to last. I tell you but this Sailfish Cats are awesome the one they had down there was spot on and they guy from Webby Marine and the builder were great fellas. What a weapon they had. Cheers DT.:)

littlemac
23-08-2013, 06:57 AM
nice work mick,
love the boat and good luck

cheers

brett

myusernam
23-08-2013, 08:45 AM
looks a bit calm in that screenshot. No way to test a bluewater boat.

Tickleish
23-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Nice boat mate, looks fit for purpose that's for sure but how come there's no shots of the Quintrex - The true blue water boat::)

On a serious note, whats the air flow like at the helm - is it going to be enough for a Brissy summer.

Bull
23-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Hope you go well with the comp Mick, The new rig looks great. I saw you driving along Sandgate rd last week. I was scarry looking bloke hanging out the window of my work ute yelling out to you.
Cheers Brett

Redhunter
23-08-2013, 11:56 AM

Dick you no what to do, time to get a platey ;D

steve

fisho8
23-08-2013, 08:40 PM
looks a bit calm in that screenshot. No way to test a bluewater boat.

The screen shot was taken at Wave Break Island That is where the boats were parked awaiting test by the judges. The seaway had plenty of swell the whole day and outside. They all got a good work out mate that is sure.

fisho8
23-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Nice boat mate, looks fit for purpose that's for sure but how come there's no shots of the Quintrex - The true blue water boat::)

On a serious note, whats the air flow like at the helm - is it going to be enough for a Brissy summer.

Yeah you get good ventilation right through the whole boat but it will be interesting to see how I go with it this summer...Should not be a drama...As for the quinny that boat was a nice one it had plenty of space and a huge cabin I went for a run in it and it rode a lot better than I thought it would...Very nice boat mate.

fisho8
23-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Hope you go well with the comp Mick, The new rig looks great. I saw you driving along Sandgate rd last week. I was scarry looking bloke hanging out the window of my work ute yelling out to you.
Cheers Brett

Yeah Bull I recognised you mate haha took me a second look to realise lol will have to go out for a fish mate.

fisho8
23-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Dick you no what to do, time to get a platey ;D

steve

Yeah I can hook him up onto a good one anytime you want a test drive DT let me know haha.:)

oldie
23-08-2013, 09:19 PM
in the film clip you can see the quinny holding its own but the crestliner is also holding its own

thelump
23-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Yeah would be interesting to see the Crestliner in not so nice conditions!! Love the look of ya boat Mick. Deserves a win.

Tangles
23-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Must admit it would be good to see an Origin, an AMM or Riptide etc in these, honestly who wants to see a Crestliner in a test for Aussie plate boats?

fisho8
23-08-2013, 10:12 PM
in the film clip you can see the quinny holding its own but the crestliner is also holding its own

I will have to say the Quinny is defiantly a contender as is the crestliner no matter who wins they are the best 6 boats in the judges eyes this year so to make the 6 all have done well. It was a great day out.

fisho8
23-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Yeah would be interesting to see the Crestliner in not so nice conditions!! Love the look of ya boat Mick. Deserves a win.

Yeah Macca being a boat with low sides it would be a very wet ride...Bear had to back off a few times in the formation shots due to copping a lot of spray it is a very nice boat but is not really suited to offshore conditions.....It would be a fantastic bass boat but very well thought out. Fingers crossed mate all the judges loved the Surtees but all I can say is I do not envy their job. They all deserve to win in my book they are all fantastic boats.

fisho8
23-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Must admit it would be good to see an Origin, an AMM or Riptide etc in these, honestly who wants to see a Crestliner in a test for Aussie plate boats?

I guess if they wanted their boats in something like this they would have put their hand up...I am surprised aswell as they all build quality plate boats I would also love to see a Performance Plate boat out there aswell It just depends if the brands are interested in putting their hands up and approaching Trailer Boat and offering up their brand for testing....Maybe next year.

Dicktracey
23-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Yeah I can hook him up onto a good one anytime you want a test drive DT let me know haha.:)
My marriage wouldn't take a 3rd boat in 12mths would be safer back bike racing ;)

fisho8
23-08-2013, 11:43 PM
My marriage wouldn't take a 3rd boat in 12mths would be safer back bike racing ;)

Haha well I am thinking you sell the evo buy a nice big chunky diamond ring Park the 6.1 Surtees out the front walk up the stairs knock on the door get down on 1 knee and when she answers say I am sorry Dear Mick and Jason told me to do it haha. All good I am in the same position Lana is already making a bet with me this one will last 2 years and I will want a bigger one lol gotta love em haha.

Dicktracey
24-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Would have to be the 6.7 Mick the 6.1 would be smaller than the Evo, with the level of after sales Evo offer I would be lucky to trade it on a IRB

Malcolm W
24-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Fisho, what's the difference now between the Surtees and the Barcrusher gen 2 now? I looked at both of them a few years back at our local boat show and they where pretty much a clone of each other.
The Surtees seemed to have a better finish and extras back then, this was after the Surtees/Barcrusher partnership had broken up. Both Excellent deep V boats, love the layout and design for fishing, anchoring and diving. The dive bottles fit just nicely in the gunnel storage pockets.

Also what length was the Sailfish, was it a Canyon Runner? It looked to be traveling very well.

fisho8
24-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Would have to be the 6.7 Mick the 6.1 would be smaller than the Evo, with the level of after sales Evo offer I would be lucky to trade it on a IRB

Na I reckon someone would buy it DT you have done a fair bit more to it mate than what they offered you anyway. They guys have a 6.7 demo down there they will let go for a good price haha ;)

fisho8
24-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Fisho, what's the difference now between the Surtees and the Barcrusher gen 2 now? I looked at both of them a few years back at our local boat show and they where pretty much a clone of each other.
The Surtees seemed to have a better finish and extras back then, this was after the Surtees/Barcrusher partnership had broken up. Both Excellent deep V boats, love the layout and design for fishing, anchoring and diving. The dive bottles fit just nicely in the gunnel storage pockets.

Also what length was the Sailfish, was it a Canyon Runner? It looked to be traveling very well.

Mate All I can say is either boat is good as you said they both have good deep v hulls. However as time has gone on Barcrusher have made a lot of changes to their design. The 615 BC is actually looks to be their old 575 hull as the 615 is about the same size as the Surtees 5.8 ride is nearly on par with the Surtees for mine. Surtees have a lot more innovative finishes and options but wasn't hard making a decision to grab one that is for sure...There is a lot of tension between Surtees and the BC Brand the BC is the copy of the Surtees but within there own right are still a great boat.

As for the Sailfish it was a Canyon Runner all 140k of it I reckon it will get the win the finish was second to none and it went just as well as it looked....All I can say is what a weapon mate I love Cats and I would own one of them in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Cheers Mick.

Hemo25
24-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Not much of a Line up in the plate section, 3 imported boats, 1 pressed tinni and 2 Aus builds. :(

brock13
25-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Boss just bought the surtees 6.7. Best single hull plate boat ive been in. Gets my vote

fisho8
25-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Not much of a Line up in the plate section, 3 imported boats, 1 pressed tinni and 2 Aus builds. :(

Yeah mate I noticed that to if more aussie manufacturers to have their boat tested it may have been a different story.

fisho8
25-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Boss just bought the surtees 6.7. Best single hull plate boat ive been in. Gets my vote

Yeah mate the 6.7 is a very nice boat I would have owned one but it was out of my budget range....Hope he has many good fishing adventures in it they are a great rig.

Cheers Mick.

kaspa2009
27-08-2013, 05:20 PM
always up for a fish mick. You'll have to come out with Mossy and I on my boat when you are free next.
Out of interest when is the trailer boat of the year awarded?

fisho8
12-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Well Issue 301 of the Mag is out and the Crestliner got the goods being AGB Boat of the year was a bit surprised to say the least but the points difference between Crestliner mine the Sailfish was 4.5 points with my boat and the sailfish tied for 2nd place so close yet so far but I had a blast and it is good to see my Boat in a Mag. Cannot wait to see the DVD.:)

Cheers Mick

Boat Hog
13-11-2013, 04:31 AM
Did the Crestliner have snapper racks and a Sarca anchor fitted? Just saying ......

chocolatemoose
13-11-2013, 05:44 AM
my vote would of gone for the benetau baracuda 7. thats an awesome boat
or that handsome fellows custom polycraft in that edition :)

FisHard
13-11-2013, 06:03 AM
Hey Fisho, how many copies did you buy??? Lol
Congrats mate, it's certainly a schmik rig.

MEG-A-BITE
13-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Hey Mick,the new rig looks great.

fisho8
13-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Hey Fisho, how many copies did you buy??? Lol
Congrats mate, it's certainly a schmik rig.

Got a few here mate haha I got given some before the Mag was released Thanks Fishard.

fisho8
13-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Hey Mick,the new rig looks great.

thanks Wayne I have got it the way I want it now and after all the promotional stuff and the boatshows being over I can finally put some hours on it....Cheers mate.

fisho8
13-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Did the Crestliner have snapper racks and a Sarca anchor fitted? Just saying ......

No Hog it is in no way an offshore boat mate but it was well appointed and decked out...The sarcas come standard with my boat but I bought the snapper racks separate...Cheers mate.

MEG-A-BITE
14-11-2013, 04:51 PM
See you out on the water some time,Sat is looking good.But its going to be busy....