PDA

View Full Version : Wide Bay Bar

blueyj
22-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Hi Guys
Heading to tackle the Wide Bay Bar for the first time this weekend(weather permitting). Anyone out there heading outside who wouldnt mind a tag along through the bar crossing or have some up to date knowledge of the bar atm?
cheers

thelump
22-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Mate if you go to Tin Can Bay VMR they will give you info plus the latest co ordinates for the best channel through.

liltuffy
22-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Hi Guys
Heading to tackle the Wide Bay Bar for the first time this weekend(weather permitting). Anyone out there heading outside who wouldnt mind a tag along through the bar crossing or have some up to date knowledge of the bar atm?
cheers
Went through two weeks ago. Not sure of your rig and experience but the so called fisherman's gutter that hugs Inskip will see you in about 4.5 metres and no problems at all.

clevelandv8
22-08-2013, 09:34 PM
yup, chase that gutter out, ask prior and vmr will send you via text. even if you're heading north after exiting, take gutter out, then swing out wide.... we watched a decent glassy battle in the washing machine conditions through the guts, while we skittled through the gutter, went out wide and missed it all.

liltuffy
23-08-2013, 05:47 AM
A lot seem to use this and other bars, shame no-one posts any fishing reports anymore....

blueyj
23-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Thanks heaps fellas will let you know how we go.

clevelandv8
23-08-2013, 11:32 AM
You don't have to go far. Find bait you find fish!

Casey Ison
23-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Giday mate yeah its up to you either way, the only place I go fishing is out from DI and I haven't bothered using the gutter as it hasn't really saved any time for me heading NE/E. In good conditions the bar is fine, if you decide to go through the bar (not the gutter) I would highly recommended only using the waypoints for a guideline and hang north of them on the turn point as the leads are not right at the moment! If you follow them theres a good chance it wont be pretty on the turn point!

Enjoy the fishing mate I gotta work this weekend!!!

Cheers Casey

blueyj
24-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Went out through the bar today no worries. Did some bulk miles and only caught a hand full of little shit. Gonna have another go tomorrow, Anyone got some waypoints or suggestions for an amateur offshore fisherman? Might have to head to the local watering hole and con someone into coming who know there stuff.:)

rosco1974
24-08-2013, 07:33 PM
A lot seem to use this and other bars, shame no-one posts any fishing reports anymore....
I might throw a report up tomorrow when I get back,done a few trips out of spb this month done ok

Schulzy
24-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Went out through the bar today no worries. Did some bulk miles and only caught a hand full of little shit. Gonna have another go tomorrow, Anyone got some waypoints or suggestions for an amateur offshore fisherman? Might have to head to the local watering hole and con someone into coming who know there stuff.:)

Buy reef masters DVD mate even gives you the marks

Boat hog 2
24-08-2013, 07:57 PM
I might throw a report up tomorrow when I get back,done a few trips out of spb this month done ok

That would be cool

It's been a while since youve graced us all with a picture of 4 squire and 2 bonito

rosco1974
24-08-2013, 08:01 PM
yeah I know boat hog 2,might even put up a few pics of the bigger fish we got this month..but more than likely just a couple of small squire and bonito pics and a pic of the 1 that we let swim away

clevelandv8
24-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Blueyj your message box is full.

blueyj
24-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Sorry mate I had to upgrade. Plenty of room in it now.:)

blueyj
26-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Hey fellas thought I'd post a quick report on our trip. Tackled the bar crossing early sat morning without any dramas. Went and fished a heap of points gathered from the net. Got a good size sweet lip, smallish mussar, undersized Maouri Cod, and a few little reef fish, nothing to get excited about. Fished the channel back inside tin can on the way back to camp on dark. Had a good play with some big sting rays, got one gummy shark and was snapped off by something big with sharp teeth.(the one that got away). Sunday saw us head outside again with similar results lots of small stuff but nothing to keep. Went out to the 19 mile but had trouble finding any good structure and trouble getting to the bottom (50m) with the gear we had. The bar was pretty messy on our trip back in as we came in on last of run out tide but had no dramas.
All up we had a good weekend, found plenty of waypoints but struggled to find any good jump ups and structure to fish. The Northstar sounder didn't really cut the mustard as it only showed good imaging at idle, I'm presuming the bubbles from the prop provided too much interference and we were left with a full red screen and depths of 800m + whenever we were traveling above walking pace.
We still have a lot to learn about offshore fishing, but a bad days fishing beats a good days work every time.
Thanks again for the advice and pms u guys sent thru.
Bluey