PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a new boat

marzoe
21-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Hi all. I have about $15,000 to spend on a new boat. I have a quandary as to which way to go. Recently my fishing has been chasing flatties on the Gold Coast and down the Tweed. I have a little 3.85 m tinny and before that a 460 Freedom Sport. I've been looking at some of the side-consoles up to 4.5 metres and recently looked at some Clark boats. I would like something that I can still fish the estuaries but also venture outside from time to time. Am I better looking for a bigger, 5 metre plus secondhand or going for a 4.5 metre boat which I can take outside on really flat days. Which brands should I look at. I realise that it's a big question like how long is a piece of string, but just looking for some direction. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers
Tim

PixieAU
22-08-2013, 07:01 AM
for a decent boat and motor over 5m I reckon you'll need a few more clams. closer to $20k I would have thought

otherwise under 5m should be fine

lukhaus
22-08-2013, 08:30 AM
I'm no boating expert but I can share my experience of spending the same amount on a new boat 12 months ago.I opted to buy and set up a new Quintrex 4.2 Renegade. Went for the tiller as it has more deck space to fish without a console. It has a 40hp Two stroke Merc which gets it to about 24-5 knots when there's no chop.Have taken to the 24's and fish Mermaid and Palmy on the reg. Never had any trouble in up to 1m of swell, it get's a little hairy in anything over 1.5 especially if there is wind chop. It's such a good rig to fish out of with the floors and all the under floor storage It has a plumbed live well too. Couldn't afford a Minn Kota so opted with a Watersnake. If I had the choice again I would just save a little more and buy the Minn Kota as the Watersnake has been nothing but trouble. If your chasing flatties and fishing with plastic's the electric is essential in putting you on the spot and position your boat on drifts. Best money i've ever spent in my life.

Lukhaus