PDA

View Full Version : Cable Ties on Rocna?

stevemid
20-08-2013, 10:15 AM
I've been reading up on trip lines for Rocna anchors, and considering the implications for the cable ties method vs a separate trip line. This post contains an ingenious idea (IMO) for keeping the trip-line anchor buoy directly above the anchor.

On the occaisions that I set a trip line for my 35Ilb CQR (sorry luddite) I use 6mm line with one end tied off on the anchor the line threaded through a small pick up buoy and then tied off on a heavy shackle ~2Ilb weight which is then closed around the line to the anchor ie it runs up and down the tripping line and keeps the buoy above the anchor with a taught line at all states of tide.
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?237238-Making-an-anchor-trip-float-line

I suppose having settled on the Rocna, I might as well get the slotted fisherman style thus avoiding the need for trip lines and cable tie solutions all together??? Comments?

Steve

Malcolm W
20-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi steve,
The slot is not quite as far forward as the hole used by people who use cable ties. It looks like a good compromise between the cable tie breaking and the anchor not re-setting after a direction change. With the slot it should reset if it breaks free after a direction change.
But with the hole further forward than the slot in extreme hook ups I think the chances of retrieval are higher with the cable tie method.
If you get the slotted one you can use both methods depending on conditions.

PS, the method of using a float above the anchor seems cumbersome. Large boats with expensive anchors use this one especially on overnighters.

ozscott
20-08-2013, 10:48 AM
With my Supreme I run the swivel on the rock slot, but cable tied the swivel in place at the aft end of the slot - best of both worlds. I have 6 x 7mm cable ties notched hard up to stop the swivel travelling along the slot to the sharp end of the anchor, but if stuck I can power over the anchor hard and cause the cable ties to brake and the swivel to travel allowing me to lift it head first...

Cheers

Tangles
20-08-2013, 09:32 PM
I would do further research on Rocna's, personally if you want to spend the money on the Rocna, I would look at a similar anchor from Manson for similar money. The early Rocna's had a great rep but recently too many reports of them bending and having issues. Your choice, all im suggesting is do a bit more research, maybe they have sorted it.

Still reckon a tripped plough is a great option.