PDA

View Full Version : IMO - Mooloolaba Pick vs Manson Sarca

Goldfinch
19-08-2013, 04:57 PM
For those who wish to hear my feedback on these two anchors, here's my story.

I lost my sarca anchor just over a year ago on a wreck in my previous boat (dumb mistake on my behalf) and a couple of locals advised me to get a Mooloolaba pick so I decided to try one. I looked online to see which size was suitable for my boat (9lb - 4.2m to 6.8m) and proceeded to order one from an online supplier. When I received the anchor I thought it looked pretty small to hold a 5.8m glass boat but who am I to question the manufacturers recommendations. So I followed the instructions on the best way to set it up for my size boat and after a few attempts realised it was pathetic. It wouldn't even hold in 25-30 metres of reef. The guys I fished with said "it's too small, you should have got the next size up". I said that I had followed the recommendations from the manufacturer. So I decided to give it a second chance and buy a bigger model. I went two sizes bigger to the 20lb model, suitable for boats 8.4 to 10.8m and once again, followed the instructions to a tee. It would hold sometimes, drag other times, hold for a while, then drag if the wind picked up a few knots, especially on coffee rock or rubble patches. I put more chain on, put more rope out and I seriously considered giving up anchoring all together as it was just getting too hard to get anywhere near the spots I wanted to fish on. I was convinced that I just had no idea when it came to anchoring. I would do some drifts, adjust my line to get it spot on before dropping anchor and I just couldn't get near the spots, especially in 35-50m which is where I fish the most. It would only hold when there was around 5 knots and minimal swell which is rare in Noosa. In the end I'd had enough so I reluctantly spend another $250 on a Manson Sarca No.2 to see if it was me or the Mooloolaba pick that was the problem. I headed out to the usual mark I had been having troubles anchoring on, I did the same drifts to get my line and then I dropped anchor. The sacra held first time, kept the boat on the correct line with less rope in 15 knots and did not budge. The wind shifted from an Easterly to a Noreaster and it swung but did not budge. It also came up way easier on retrieval. Happy days !!!! So now I have two Mooloolaba picks to sell on ebay to someone I hope isn't fishing any deeper than 20meters in a tinny on serious reef. I am definitely no "pro" when it comes to anchoring so hopefully now I can improve my skills by having a decent tool to start with. I'm sure the M Pick works fine for many people, it just didn't work for me or my boat.
Cheers
Dave

ShaneC
19-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Check your PMS mate, I'm a big fan of them and I'd like to buy your 20 lb one off you.

fishing111
19-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Little confused GF. Is it a Sarca or a Manson anchor your referring too?

Noelm
19-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Can't imagine a Mooloolaba pick working on rubble type of bottom.

mutineer
19-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Nearly pulled my boat under trying to retrieve mine , it loves getting really stuck on reef , I took it off and put a good old reef pick on it .. much easier to deal with ten metres of chain keeps it down and when push comes to shove I throw on a anchor retriever and it will pull it up , I will keep it in the boat as backup if things go bad and I loose the anchor ..

Oh and same thing it was recommended to me ....never again

wags on the water
19-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Can't imagine a Mooloolaba pick working on rubble type of bottom.

Have you tried it?

scoota
19-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Mooloolaba anchors are great for medium reef to heavy wire weed but fail in sand, weed, light reef etc..
Manson/Sarca anchors are great but an expensive loss. I find the old heavy sand anchor efficient and secure in up to 100m with a suitable long chain in non reef circumstances.

Scoota...

jtpython
20-08-2013, 06:50 AM
Use the Mooloolaba Pick up here and works a dream and with 6 m of chain I can t fault it. Are u tripping the anchor right with zippy ties?
Lot of guys in this area use them Kaypee in his 21 cat my brother in law could never hold in his 25 foot sea fox and up graded to a Mooloolaba pick and worked a dream in all depths here .
Love em but each to their own

outta line
20-08-2013, 07:37 AM
was it only the one mark (your usual mark) that the MB pick had trouble holding you on? could it be a sandy bottom you are throwing your anchor on in front of your mark causing it not to hold?

Noelm
20-08-2013, 07:50 AM
Have you tried it?
Yep! work a treat on hard bottom, but anything "soft" it was/is useless, don't even have it in the boat anymore.

Mister
20-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Sounds like and issue of using the wrong type/style of anchor in the wrong type of bottom and conditions then blaming the anchor!

Goldfinch
20-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Sorry, my apologies, it's the Manson Supreme I am referring too. It looks quite similar to the Sarca in design. And yes, I tried the Mooloolaba pick on many, many, many areas and yes, sometimes it would hold but I just could not trust it in the end. It was fine on Sunshine Reef but I could use a brick to anchor on Sunshine reef. Any other less reefy terrain and it struggled in any kind of wind, current and swell. It would hold for a while then start to drag.

Yes, I had the Zip tie setup perfectly.

Malcolm W
20-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Never used the Mooloolaba, but it just looks like a reef pick only. It would be of no value in my area, we fish small lumps surrounded by sand.

The manson I have used, it's more of an all rounder and will work on most types of ground.

The manson for your size boat is not that expensive at approx $250. Just keep one of the cheaper Mooloolabar's for reef work if your worried about losing the Manson.