PDA

View Full Version : electric motor (minn kota) alternatives

myusernam
19-08-2013, 01:15 PM
HI, Im interested in electrtic trolling motor alternatives to the standard brands. A month or so ago there was a seafarer barra boat fully decked out and it had a new american brand trolling motor. Does anyone remember the brand? they looked pretty good. My watersnake has shxt itself but I dont want to spend big bucks on a minn kota as they have issues as well.....

bigpat
19-08-2013, 01:28 PM
I think you be thinking about Motorguide. Some US bass boats fit them as standard.

I think that you can buy a basic MK for about $1100. A motorguide would cost the same I would think.

For a basic motor, the snakes are good value for the money. Mine's been going for 3 years now, no problems.

myusernam
19-08-2013, 01:36 PM
no wasnt motorguide, but thanks

myusernam
19-08-2013, 01:47 PM
found it - i saved as link. was a rhodan. Any good? any other alternatives out there?

RayLamp
19-08-2013, 02:02 PM
If you were close by, you could have my old watersnake. Nothing wrong with it. It would be too expensive to post though.

myusernam
19-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Nice of you to offer ray - Thanks! lower unit let water in around the motor. only 1.5 years old, and lightly used. will see how I go with customer support and report back here.

Bear001
30-09-2013, 12:28 PM
any futher comments on this thread? My minn kota terrova has jsut sh*t itself again. The first time under warranty, its now 6yrs old & would expect a longer lifespan but repairs quoted at approx $600. Everyone I know in my neck of the woods has Minn Kota but has returned it for repairs under warranty at some stage or other. So looking at alternatives before I have to hide the evidence from the hubby :-)

Chamelion
01-10-2013, 02:33 AM
any futher comments on this thread? My minn kota terrova has jsut sh*t itself again. The first time under warranty, its now 6yrs old & would expect a longer lifespan but repairs quoted at approx $600. Everyone I know in my neck of the woods has Minn Kota but has returned it for repairs under warranty at some stage or other. So looking at alternatives before I have to hide the evidence from the hubby :-)

I'm sorry, that's so back to front I think the universe just imploded. o_O

Bear001
02-10-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm sorry, that's so back to front I think the universe just imploded. o_O

lol - I know - & I had to marry the only man in Australia that hates fishing & camping

davo
03-10-2013, 09:43 PM
The Minnkotas are not the be all and end all. You name it I have had it fail. If it wasn't for the autopilot I wouldn't own one. I have owned four of them. I haven't used a watersnake but I have used the wireless Motorguide. They seem OK but that guy had also had problems. I must say the service from BLA is very good and fixing the Minnkotas hasn't been too expensive but I have heard good things about the Jarvis Marine service too.