PDA

View Full Version : Trolling with a Yamaha F70

Austin
19-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Hi Guys,

I've just bought myself a Stacer 489 Baymaster with a Yamaha F70 that I will be using mainly to troll the alpine lakes in NSW. My previous boat was a Quinnie Center Console with a 75 ETEc so this set up is worlds apart. It's my first experience with a Four Stroke so please be kind to me when I need advice.

My question is does anyone have a similar rig that slow trolls with this engine and are there any heads-up you can offer?. The engine will come with the Command Link LAN guages so I'll have access to Yammies VTS trolling control and if need be I can tack on a troll-o-matic baffle but I'd rather not. An odd review I've dug up states that the engine can vibrate a fair bit at low revs which can apparently be sorted with a SS Prop?. One reviewer was a bit disappointed with both the vibration and sound of this engine indicating it was not as quiet as other four strokes on the market. Any comments or opinions, good,bad or otherwise, on any of this would be great. My research generally (apart from the above) seems to point to it being a great engine for it's displacement?.
Cheers

Austin

Tangles
19-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Hi Austin,

Trolling with it has been fine for me and i havent found any vibration, at idle and trolling its pretty quiet but i will say that when it gets up in the rev range i wouldnt call it a quiet motor at all, and not as quiet as other 4 strokes when hammering around.

You will however love its fuel economy, absolutely sensational, getting the prop right on this 70 is in my experience a bit of a journey with a heavy glass boat,

Mike

deckie
19-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Have one but only 20+hrs on it so i'm effectively still running it in. Have used to downrig liveys trolling for maybe an hour and a half just ticking over, and it was sensational. No vibration worth talking about.
Reviews arnt worth the money thats paid for them these days. Cash for comment is more the norm than not and you'll be the last to know the real story.
You;re right to ask and there are a lot of guys in here who have picked up this all new model over the last yr or two...havent heard a single bad thing yet.
Like all the major manufacturers these days...they simply cannot afford to put out a new model that isnt good. Can recommend for slow trolling and seems very smooth at very low revs...but then i havent had it long.

Agree with what tangles says...i;ve been on other rigs where the 4stk might be a FRACTION quieter but thats nothing...and even during break in before the good fuel economy numbers it already is just sipping fuel. Out of the hole it surprised me how good. No complaints thats for sure.
Steve.

scoota
19-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Hey Austin, Have to agree with Tangles and deckie about the F70. It is pleasantly quiet but not the quietest however economy and hole punch are impressive. As for vibration, it does have a characteristic of vibrating when pulling up from speed or anything above idol. I read that this has something to do with the engine management with use of low octane fuel and lasts for a few seconds then idols smooth. My motor has done that since new and I have 280 hours on it in three years and no issues at all. I only use unleaded and not E10 or other similar fuels. Trolls for hours then top speed in seconds no worries.
Great motor and getting 2.8km/litre on average with standard prop.

Scoota...

rainbowrascal
20-08-2013, 06:23 PM
I have two of these motors on my cat, upgraded from 2 stroke to 4 stroke about 18 months back. I have done about 75 hours with them now and they are as quiet as other brands of 4 strokes, have had to check sometimes to see if they are going. There has never been any vibration at all from either motor across the full range of revs from 0 to 6000. They troll very well when just in gear and in my opinion are the best in its class. They use half the fuel that the 2 strokes used with almost as much power. They get on the plane as quick as the 2 strokes but probably lack a little at the top end in comparison. Not enough to complain about. Great motor, look after it.

deckie
20-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Austin...make sure she's achieving 6000+ rpm. Just a matter of inital tailoring to individual boats. Preferably around 6100+...and thats invariably a simple matter of swapping props. Hopefully your dealer has done this but worth checking during break in period with a short burst.

Also, every dealer can be different or have their own thoughts, but mine told me to never use ethanol based fuels, and use 95,not 91. Thats fairly common to all 4stk outboards/brands sold in oz...in some parts of the world its not even a concern, but just be aware of it here.

Also the little tilt latch/bracket for trailering. Some dealers say you can use it for trailering, but apparently others say not...go figure. Most outboard/brands have the same thing but usually guys also either make up their own trailering bracket or try to pick up something off the rack...especially if u travel highways or rough ground. If you check the Yam site accessories they do a heavy rubbery compound "thingy" that u simply slot onto the tilt mechanism then drop the donk down onto it. Like all boat/motor accessories its some silly price for what it is...but worth a thought or ask your dealer. Some guys have made them up out of trailer keel rollers.

Like all break in periods, vary the revs. Dont just do 2 hrs of continuous trout trolling at 2 knts if u know wot i mean.

Austin
21-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the replies gents. Most helpful and informative. I'm confident I've made a good engine choice on paper and now hope the F70 is as good to me as it has been to everyone else.
Cheers
Austin