PDA

View Full Version : help inentifying this half cab....

kennzo
16-08-2013, 07:11 PM
9557795576hi all. spotted this 16ft/4.7 half cab.95575 looks very haines`ish, was told its a vixen? never ever heard of vixen, only vixens google turns up are seafarer or yachts. any ideas?
cheers,
ken.95574

solemandownunder
16-08-2013, 07:28 PM
G'day kennzo and welcome from us.;D

But MATE, real men dont use "haines-ISH" ok.....the term is Haines Like, or like a Haines :P

That said :D it does look like a cuddy of some sort, just not sure which :-? DEF not a Haines. The particular boat I have in mind escapes me for the mo.....

Others will chime in here to help I am sure, but I know that type of boat is not very stable in rough weather.

Depends what you want to do with it I suppose.

waits for flack....:D

Cheers, Ray.

crikey macca
16-08-2013, 07:32 PM
G'day kennzo and welcome from us.;D

But MATE, real men dont use "haines-ISH" ok.....the term is Haines Like, or like a Haines :P

Dunno wtf your on but do you care to share with everyone?

solemandownunder
16-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Dunno wtf your on but do you care to share with everyone?

NUP...MY stuff ONLY :P ;D

crikey macca
16-08-2013, 07:38 PM
NUP...MY stuff ONLY :P ;D

No wonder no one else understands a word you say

kennzo
16-08-2013, 07:39 PM
um...ok. haines like, if you prefer. thought looked a little like a v16. looking at the stern, i wouldve tought it would be rough riding, but stable.
its going for 3k with no motor. i have a 70 ptt late 90s yam, looking to pull it off my old bellboy, and wack it on something a touch deeper, stronger and safer for trips out to the drops. penny pinching for home deposit atm, so not keen on more debt for now.

Shark Poker
16-08-2013, 07:53 PM
The windscreen, cabin windows, cabin structure shape and even the cabin gelcoat colour look "haines-ISH"

ifishcq1
16-08-2013, 07:56 PM
it isn't a vixen because they have a level down the side where the side goes in an inch or so
I would like to sea a front on shot to see how much flare the hull has
it looks like a 79ish nova or even crest craft
cheers

rosco1974
16-08-2013, 08:09 PM
maybe a bellboy

Shark Poker
16-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Is anybody else having trouble logging on to Boat Point?

davo
16-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Bell boy. Definitely.

oldie
16-08-2013, 08:33 PM
3k for that mate is a rip off don't do it, its worth $1500-2k max

oldie
16-08-2013, 08:35 PM
the bow V looks like a Belboy style, could be an early stejcraft too

solemandownunder
16-08-2013, 08:57 PM
3k for that mate is a rip off don't do it, its worth $1500-2k max

and that is only IF it has a top trailer...NO rust or work to be done 8-)

solemandownunder
16-08-2013, 08:59 PM
The windscreen, cabin windows, cabin structure shape and even the cabin gelcoat colour look "haines-ISH"

hehehehehehe :P;D

deckie
16-08-2013, 10:00 PM
i;ll go with a bellboy bluefin

kennzo
17-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Looking abit closer at the stern pic, it clearly says "vixen" on the right side. Has anyone heard of or had experience with a vixen?
It's a 1980 build. I've had 2 bellboys, and seen plenty more they're generally a lot flatter across the stern from my experience.

ozscott
17-08-2013, 04:46 AM
Do real men say 'mo'??...im trying to picture a bloke on the diamond drill or on the deck of a north sea long liner telling their boss to "wait a mo"...

Cheers

Crocodile
17-08-2013, 07:35 AM
Hello Kennzo,
More pictures please.
What make and model, does it really matter for a boat of that age?
There were many builders around at that time, it seemed that everybody was making 'glass boats back then.
Whereabouts geographically? may have been some local builder.
$3K, I would say more like $500 and that's only because the trailer looks OK.
A boat of that age that has clearly had a minimum of care and maintenance will very likely have rotten transom, floor and stringers.
A lot of time and money will go into the repairs.
Without a test run you are buying an unknown performer, it may pound or be wet or be unstable or all of the above.
IMHO, approach this deal with your eyes open and make decisions with your brain, not your balls.

BigE
17-08-2013, 03:45 PM
It's a Bell Bouy, I did one up a few years ago, took it back to a bare hull and did stringers floor and transom. There a real solid boat and punch well above there weight. a 60 yammie four stroke is the perfect match for the hull. I regularly ran from moolabar to double island and back in mine and fish off Gladstone and Bowen a couple times. the 60 f/s ran at 65km flatout but the real gem of the rig was at 35-40 kms and returning 3 - 3.5 Km to the liter she actually managed to run back with the tide once and got 80km from a single tote (only ever got that once ) but i could always count on a genuine 60km from a tote in any conditions. It would be a long way back but my itchy and scratchy thread has the whole rebuild with pictures (may have to ask Mr Ausfish to dig it up) Excellent boat would have another in a heartbeat. only down sides to it were it's a narrow boat 1.95 m from memory and it difficult to mount rod holders in the rounded gunnal tops. caught plenty of reds that boat.

Big E

BigE
17-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Bought back some memories here are some pic's of my old Bell Bouy.

BigE

Crocodile
17-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Hellp BigE,

The orange boat has;
one planing strake at the stern
wide chine lip
concave topsides at the stern
the cabin extends aft past the windscreen
gunnels that you can walk on(very narrow)
guages in a binnacle above the line of the dashboard

The blue boat has,
two planing strakes at the stern
narrow chine lip
convex topsides with a crease at the stern
the cabin top is in line with the end of the windscreen
narrow gunnels that are impossible to walk on
low-set gauges below the line of the dashboard

On the basis of these observations it is possible that they are different boats.

BigE
18-08-2013, 01:27 PM
The blue boat is a 1976 model - I would guess the orange will be an 80 ish model they tried to square up the later models the giveaway is the bunk configureation and the moulded line near the side window and down to the gunnel. the blue one (mine had the dash modified more that once in it life before I owned it and I changed it again) I am confident it is a Bell Bouy, but like all things nothing life is certain.

BigE

kennzo
18-08-2013, 02:28 PM
So the "vixen" label on the stern means nothing then? It's advertised as a vixen but a search turned up nothing so thought I'd ask you ausfish gurus. I have a bellboy currently, it's an old half cab, ugly old thing but way overbuilt weighs a ton. I also have a rover half cab and this feels very flimsy in comparison.

smclaren
18-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Reef Craft .... P.O.S. !