PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude Tilt tube

cgibbo308
15-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Hey guys.
I finally have the old 1978, 70hp evinrude off the boat while i work on the structure.

I was going to strip the tilt trim pump and clean everything up.
the prob is i can't get the tilt tube out..

I removed the nut of each end and removed the grease nipples just in case.

i gave the whole lot a good spray with a release agent then gave it a good whack with a leather ended mallet. Nothing moved.
i even tilted the base up to help with moving the weight, but achieved nothing lol .

surely i haven't missed something.. or have i???

Fed
15-08-2013, 04:35 PM
The tilt and trim comes out the from under the motor when tilted up. Put the tilt tube back together before you
damage it.

cgibbo308
15-08-2013, 10:09 PM
still needs to come out so i can clean it up for paint. also need to get to the nuts that old the steering arm on so i can get it apart to remove the rust and repaint.

Fed
16-08-2013, 11:35 AM
If you're determined to get it out then you could try putting some big washers on it then use one of the nuts to pull it with.

Do you have enough room to pull it without hitting the boat?

cgibbo308
16-08-2013, 06:49 PM
thanks Fed. it's not on the boat. i had the lower leg off and was giving it a "wobble to move it over as to give room to pull the steer rod out.. it came out at about the same time as the motor kinda sorta fell off into my arms lol

Good news is, it never hit the ground. bad news is, im walking like an old man lol..

I tried similar to what you suggested. I used a big ring spanner over the tube then tried to tighten against that, causing a sharp pain in the elbow.

Since i didn't have internet till now, i decided to pull the plate off each side. 2 bolts came out and one snapped. no big drama with that. i can drill and re tap it if need be..

once that plate came off tho, one of the 3 wires into the tilt motor snapped. this unit was sooooooo not looked after that well. having said that, it runs like a dream.

what i didnt know and was going to ask is.. it makes a different noise when hit from one direction to the other. so i thought it might only come out one way?

Fed
17-08-2013, 08:38 AM
With the motor off lay it on its side & build a little dam around the tube then fill the dam with penetrene, leave it for a day or so then do the other side.

Did you use some big washers as spacers under the nut?

Last resort is heat but be aware there are nylon bushes in there.

cgibbo308
18-08-2013, 10:06 PM
thanks fed, i have it soaking now.
the previous owner really didn't look after anything other than the running of the engine it self.
Only just found missing grease nipples for the rams pivot arm and moving it by hand i now think this is where my god awful noise and "jittering"
when tilting is coming from.

Since i have it down, if i can find them, i will be replacing the nylon bushes..
looks like i need a new pump, or at least a good rust free 2nd hand one :)