PDA

View Full Version : Flushing 2000 Honda 25HP 4-stroke

PeterKroll
13-08-2013, 07:19 PM
I've just bought a tinnie with this outboard. I bought a wash plug that plugs into the bottom leg of the outboard because I thought it would be more efficient than using the standard ears.

I tried it out today, and it seems to be just pouring out of the outlets below, the place where the ears normally go when flushing.

The question is, is there a way to tell if the engine is being fully flushed, and should there be a stream coming from the telltale hole when the engine is being flushed in this way?

Have mercy, gents. I'm new to this.

WalrusLike
14-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Sorry Peter I tried to help.... I don't know anything but had a look on google and tried to get your service manual.... failed I am afraid.

Spaniard King on here has a business servicing Honda outboards.... He is widely respected here for friendly and knowledgable advice.

I would suggest a pm to him will get you on track. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Giffo65
14-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Peter

I asked this same question of Garry (Spaniard King ) last week for my 130 HP Honda,he said not to use the port you are talking about,so I am using muffs.With a smaller motor you could drop the leg of the motor into a drum of fresh water and run it,I used to do this for my 25 Yamaha 2 banger on my tinnie.You may have sand in your telltale so push some thin whipper snipper cord upper the telltale to unblock it,and when was the impellor last changed ?

PeterKroll
14-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks, gents. Well, it's back to ears then. I'm not sure about the impeller. I assume not for a long time. However, the telltale was blocked when I took it on the water for the first time, but there was a strong stream when I gave it a clean, and it stayed like that for the hour that I ran it.

The reason I got the wash plug was that, using ears when flushing, the telltale wasn't running so I though I'd get smart.

Seems that being smart when I don't actually know what I'm doing is not that smart.:P

sharkymark2
14-08-2013, 10:36 AM
How often has the saying "a little bit of knowledge is dangerous" been proven true. Best of luck with your new purchase.

Malcolm W
14-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Another way is to use a bucket of some kind. The advantages are a stronger back pressure and flush, quieter for the neighbours and possibly using less water.
I bought a wheelie bin, cut it down, re-attached the handle and drilled in a garden hose fitting to the bottom. This works very well and will fit most outboards up to 150 hp without foils. Total cost around $80. When I travel it goes in the boat with gear in it then I put a liner in and use it for a bin as well. The lid will go back on.
The small bucket is just there as the boat is backed up to the garage door. Notice how strong the telltale is.
After using this and muffs I don't think I would go back to using muffs. This thread just gave me motivation to give the old Yamaha 115 2 stroke a run as it's been a few weeks idle.

PeterKroll
14-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Great idea about the bin.

I thought I'd share some info I got from Honda regarding my original question:

"We wish to advise that the flushing point integrated into the engine, is designed mainly to be used for flushing where ear muffs are not able to be used. For example moored boats, house boats etc.

Ear muffs are the best way to flush your engine. The engine should be turned on while flushing with ear muffs, a steady stream of water should flow from the tell tail and always run the engine long enough to reach adequate operating temperature. This allows the thermostat to open and allow proper water flow to water jackets above the thermostat.

The other benefit is the water pump in the engine is flushed with fresh water as the engine runs during the flushing procedure. Static flushing does not flush all areas of the water jackets including the pump, therefore you cannot run the engine during this procedure. It is for limited access situations only."