PDA

View Full Version : al-ko axles

mick.j
09-08-2013, 09:05 PM
hi all
just purchase a boat that is about 12 years old its only done three hundred hour and the trailer it sits on has alko axles my q is this does anyone have axles of similar age and are they trust worthy bearing in mind the axles are old but done little work.

wags on the water
09-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Check the load rating of the boat and
1. get another axle if you are concerned with rust and integrity.
2. scale off rust and check thoroughly and reapply anti rust coating
3. Check bearings and replace if necessary
4. stop worrying if axle has no rust - but check bearings.

tunaticer
10-08-2013, 04:15 AM
My uncle had a 20' yalta on a trailer with an ALKO axle. He lived at newport and removed the axle and replaced with trolley wheels and a winch to put his boat in on his private ramp. The Alko axle had seen the water once in its life. He sold the BMT and refitted the as new looking axle to the trailer and the new owner got 400km away and it snapped in half in the middle. These axles rust from the inside outwards if you dunk the axle. There is no way of removing internal moisture. My uncle met the new owner 1/2 way for the price of a replacement axle.

kaypee
10-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Bought my boat and its 12yrs old. The previous owner had done everything to make the Alko axles last. Covered in tektol and fitted fresh water flush to them. They honestly look brand new, but, as said above they rust from the inside and I snapped one the other day.
U would never see it coming. Luckily i was only round the corner from home.

And with a month wait for new ones, I'd do it if I were you.