PDA

View Full Version : quintrex offshore boats

conco46
08-08-2013, 07:44 PM
I read on this forum a long time ago that the large 20ft - 22ft quintrex were not a good offshore boat, that the hull would get lots of small cracks, they drove bad in large chopp, and to stay away from them.

my q? is have they got better? if so from what year did they improve?
and if ET fishing uses them have they gotton better or is it just a sponsor thing for ET?

reason I ask is you can get a good 2nd hand 2007-2010 6.7m deck out with the lot for $50-$60k

so go for it or stay away ?

cobiaman
08-08-2013, 07:47 PM
That doesnt sound all that cheap to me...

Noelm
08-08-2013, 08:08 PM
You would get a brand new Stacer Ocean Ranger with a 4 stroke for that sort of money, and they are a plate construction.

ozynorts
09-08-2013, 07:12 AM
If you want a Qunitrex mate try this.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14956951&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=2&eapi=2
Or as Noelm said above a Stacer.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15076568&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2

Jarrah Jack
09-08-2013, 08:47 AM
The words Quintrex and offshore should never go together.

oldie
09-08-2013, 09:10 AM
the new one ET is in is a new style of hull the older 600 offshore models were bull nose and tended to BULL DOZE into a swell making things uncomfortable, i believe the blade hull has rectified this issue having a much sharper entry and more racked back design,

morphias
09-08-2013, 11:20 AM
For those $$$ you can get all sorts of beautiful boats with all the gear. Plenty of nice 1-4yr old fully decked out Seafoxes around ATM for a lot less.

I think Escape with ET is a sham! 99% blatant marketing and 1% actual fishing. :(

And when you get lines like: "...and with a spark of Century battery power to our fuel efficient eTec, faster than you can say boating, camping, fishing (get it?) we were off in our Quintrex Outsider"

Just about made me vomit...

Ben.

thelump
09-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Yep agree with all above. Plenty of better value boats than that around. Look at these
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?seot=1&R=13589162&silo=-1&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Price_Decim al%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cpCar_Model_S tring%7c0&Cr=&trecs=1&__N=1456%20284%204294905785%204294861492

Get one with all the fruit for less than a second hand quinnie.

Noelm
09-08-2013, 01:10 PM
I guess as a general rule, forget anything you see on a TV show, regardless of what ET or some other "celebrity" says, they are PAID to say how fabulous a motor, boat, reel is.

Justin Rossiter
09-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Yep and next year they have a contract with a another company and THESE outboards, boat, gear etc is just the best they have EVER used.

Puke

ric
09-08-2013, 02:05 PM
I read on this forum a long time ago that the large 20ft - 22ft quintrex were not a good offshore boat, that the hull would get lots of small cracks, they drove bad in large chopp, and to stay away from them.

my q? is have they got better? if so from what year did they improve?
and if ET fishing uses them have they gotton better or is it just a sponsor thing for ET?

reason I ask is you can get a good 2nd hand 2007-2010 6.7m deck out with the lot for $50-$60k

so go for it or stay away ?

you'd be correct, in the of the recent fishing magazines, (can't remember which one now) but I read the review on the quintrex ET has, one of the negatives was the harsh ride. to me, half the point of a boat being 'offshore' is its ride quality.

oldie
09-08-2013, 04:29 PM
try and take one for a ride and make your own decision on how they perform you'll get a lot of responses on here that are based on knowing a friend of a friends brothers great uncles aunties husband who used to know a guy who once rode in one!

There is heaps of boats in that price bracket at the moment so good luck as you do your own head in!!! wish i was shopping in that category,

Daamu
09-08-2013, 05:48 PM
I had a 05' 540 spirit. Loved the boat could have done with tabs to help keep the nose down in the rough and have the hull do what it was suppose to do, wasn't unsafe just a little harsh. I have been in some big sea with it (waves breaking over the windscreen ) and felt safe. Very stable at rest. I did pull the floor out and found a small crack which was not structural just a brace that held the kill bin in ( must have had to many big ones in there ). This is just my experience and opinion so each to there own. Hope this helps

conco46
09-08-2013, 06:00 PM
yer thanks heaps guys great advise

I thought the stacers were worse, I had a mate with a large stacer and hates it

thanks for the links of other boats keep em coming

conco46
09-08-2013, 06:11 PM
mate I just checkout the stacers, they have a 5mm plate bottom, is it good quality plate, do u reckon it would take the bash out of the ride?
plate that thick is it as good as fibreglass?

You would get a brand new Stacer Ocean Ranger with a 4 stroke for that sort of money, and they are a plate construction.

ozynorts
09-08-2013, 07:08 PM
If you are set on aluminium try these.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15044904&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=2&eapi=2
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14769850&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=3&eapi=2
or the originals
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/results.aspx?base=604%20896&vertical=Boat&eapi=2&N=606%204294880976%2079%201586%201587+1599%201588+ 4294868623&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max&sort=default
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=13655155&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2

ozynorts
09-08-2013, 07:11 PM
This is one that I found a while ago. I found the designer/builder and got details of the build.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=13039079&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2

gofishin
09-08-2013, 08:21 PM
mate I just checkout the stacers, they have a 5mm plate bottom, is it good quality plate, do u reckon it would take the bash out of the ride?
plate that thick is it as good as fibreglass? 5mm plate should obviously provide greater durability than 4mm, however 'take more bash out' it won't! The ride has more to do with the deadrise, hull shape/design, weight of the hull, motor setup - height and prop selection, accessories (trim tabs) and of course the person behind the wheel...to name a few.

There are benefits of both materials (dozens of threads over the years), and there are good and not-so-good examples of both too.

It's a buyer's market, so it shouldn't be hard to get a ride in the boats you are interested in if the sellers know that you are serious. And for that sort of money you can buy a number of nice rigs.

Happy hunting.
Cheers
PS. Remember to pay Ozy his commission. :) :) I'm sure he has found many on here some nice boats. He's the 'Rain Man' of Boat Point I reckon :)

...you must have a direct cable connection to Boat Point Ozy!

Noelm
09-08-2013, 08:45 PM
I have been in a Stacer Ocean Ranger a thousand times, and for the money, I can't see why people buy Barcrushers, the Stacer leaves them for dead, the ride as good as anything on the market, and the walk through windscreen is a dream to anchor.

conco46
11-08-2013, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE=gofishin;1498575]5mm plate should obviously provide greater durability than 4mm, however 'take more bash out' it won't! The ride has more to do with the deadrise, hull shape/design, weight of the hull, motor setup - height and prop selection, accessories (trim tabs) and of course the person behind the wheel...to name a few.

There are benefits of both materials (dozens of threads over the years), and there are good and not-so-good examples of both too.

It's a buyer's market, so it shouldn't be hard to get a ride in the boats you are interested in if the sellers know that you are serious. And for that sort of money you can buy a number of nice rigs.

Happy hunting.

yeah good advice mate, but at the end of the day if my budget is a bit over $50k I cant get the best boat and the best ride out there, so I have to settle for 2nd best for that price don't you think?
these stacers look good for under $60k and look well thought out, but how do I find out that they are worth there money?
im looking for a capable offshore boat, (not a top of the line rescue boat) & family friendly boat, and I have a mate that will be fitting me a hard top on watever boat I get.
for that price I would like to go new, or am I better buying a whittley, mustang, hains, 2nd hand for that price?
only thing is when a boat like that at that price will be 5years old, and that's normaly when things need spending money on

conco46
11-08-2013, 01:54 PM
when I see a setup like stacer, yellowfin, barcrusher, they look great, the stacer looks more family friendly to me that's why im leaning more to the stacer, but how do I find out the capability of it going offshore?
the rest of the boat of the stacer looks real thought out, real good heavy duty seats, walk threw screen, a lot of other option included that others don't, good engine choices at high horse power, but how will it go in 1.5m swell 15nts wind, because any offshore boat should handle those conditions ?

2nd question if a boat shop is offering a boat like this boat http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?seot=1&R=15076568&silo=-1&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Price_Decim al%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cpCar_Model_S tring%7c0&Cr=&trecs=7&__N=1456%20284%204294911705%204294858370
how much in price should I expect them to come down?

ozynorts
11-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Yep agree with all above. Plenty of better value boats than that around. Look at these
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?seot=1&R=13589162&silo=-1&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Price_Decim al%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cpCar_Model_S tring%7c0&Cr=&trecs=1&__N=1456%20284%204294905785%204294861492

Get one with all the fruit for less than a second hand quinnie.

I would agree with the lump here. One of these with a 150hp Suzuki 4 stroke, tabs and HDS10 will be around $55k on the water. You may even get a better price as that was 12 months ago that I was quoted that.

ozynorts
11-08-2013, 04:14 PM
and with a 22 degree deadrise it will have no problems with the conditions that you were asking about.

Nicko_Cairns
11-08-2013, 10:47 PM
If you have a look under the floor of a Quintrex and compare it to other offshore boats you'll see there aren't as many structural supports in a Quintrex. Don't know the technical name but the struts that run left to right under a floor. Haven't looked at one for quite a while tho, so maybe they're better now?

gofishin
12-08-2013, 04:35 PM
...yeah good advice mate, but at the end of the day if my budget is a bit over $50k I cant get the best boat and the best ride out there, so I have to settle for 2nd best for that price don't you think?… Let’s call it ‘a compromise’, that’s the term we tend to use a lot with boating, as it is 100% true! Also sounds a lot better than 2nd or 3rd best etc… ;)

Q. Have you gone to a dealer(s) and had a good climb over a few of their boats, both new and second hand?

Firstly it seems you have set a budget, so tick that one off! Next is the intended use – you seem to have ticked that one off too. Then it starts to become a little tricky, as all the ‘compromises’ come into play – as next is to decide if you are going new or 2nd hand…no... let’s call it ‘pre-loved’, again sounds better. :)

New means you can normally have a choice of motors and electronics etc, and hopefully it is nice and shiny and has no faults/problems/bugs etc, and (hopefully) comes with a warranty (or that the manufacturer is still around to honour it!!).

Pre-loved means someone else has shouldered the big depreciation hit for you, and, added some nice options/accessories. In some situations,this is real value! However it may mean you don’t get that much of a choice in motor options, or electronics etc, if you are looking for specific brands/types. Is this important? Some may say you may also get someone else’s problems. Do your homework well, engage the right people if needed before handing over your hard-earned, and pre-loved could mean a lot of value to you too!

...these stacers look good for under $60k and look well thought out, but how do I find out that they are worth there money?… Worth their money to who? Say we have two different buyers looking at ‘this boat’, each with different wants & needs, and different ideas on what each is happy to compromise on. To one it might be well worth the money, to the other it might be a complete waste of money! Only you can decide this.

...im looking for a capable offshore boat, (not a top of the line rescue boat) & family friendly boat… ‘Capable’ under what conditions, what intended destinations or journeys etc? This comes down to hull size, and again back to a ‘compromise’. i.e. are your intended worst case conditions and destination <15kn out from the Goldie, or, <25kn out through the Pin every time? There is a big difference.

...and I have a mate that will be fitting me a hard top on watever boat I get…hmmm, SS or ally hard top frame? Beware fitting any hard top on a mass-produced tinny. It can certainly be done, but the builder will really need to know what he is doing, especially if you are plonking one on a new tinny (warranty).

...for that price I would like to go new, or am I better buying a whittley, mustang, hains, … Again, only you can make this decision. See above.

...only thing is when a boat like that at that price will be 5years old, and that's normaly when things need spending money on Not necessarily true! My boat is five years old, still looks like new, has been immaculately maintained, and has a lot of mods added (some expensive). If I ever decide to sell it, and the buyer knows what he is after (and looking at), we will both benefit! There would probably be 100’s of boats of all sizes like mine too, you just need to do your homework, look very thoroughly, touch, talk, tyre kick, engage people…whatever… until you really know what you want and what presents value to you.

when I see a setup like stacer, yellowfin, barcrusher, they look great, the stacer looks more family friendly to me that's why im leaning more to the stacer, but how do I find out the capability of it going offshore?

…but howwill it go in 1.5m swell 15nts ... It will be fine, just remember to drive it within its limits, i.e. don’t try and keep up to a 233 if one passes you! If you are happy with this compromise, you are on a winner!

…2ndquestion if a boat shop is offering a boat like this boat http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?seot=1&R=15076568&silo=-1&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Price_Decim al%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cpCar_Model_S tring%7c0&Cr=&trecs=7&__N=1456%20284%204294911705%204294858370 (http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?seot=1&R=15076568&silo=-1&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Price_Decim al%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cpCar_Model_S tring%7c0&Cr=&trecs=7&__N=1456%20284%204294911705%204294858370)

how muchin price should I expect them to come down?That I can’t really help with but I would expect possibly they would drop the price a little and look to throw in a few things – maybe to a total value of $1,500 or so!?!?! This is just a guess! In this rock-bottom market there is obviously less profit to play with, so maybe not even this much!

Cheers
Brendon

PS. Not trying to be a smart ar$e, just trying to make the point that we will all begiving ‘our’ opinions (and everyone has one;D), however ultimately it is you that has to decide. Good luck.

Floating Rib
12-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Ive a mate in Townsville who has been eyeing off a 6-7m tinnie with cab secondhand, some interesting views/info here, hes leaning towards a Bar Crusher but hadnt considered a few other makes like the stacer and i think the Surtees and McClays look alright from across the ditch also. Good luck with the search but like a few others i think the price you mentioned buys a lot of boat these days so its all in your favour.
cheers
Rib

conco46
12-08-2013, 05:59 PM
cheers guys, good tips and advice, thanks

Nicko_Cairns
12-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Bar Crushers are a nice boat.

Ive a mate in Townsville who has been eyeing off a 6-7m tinnie with cab secondhand, some interesting views/info here, hes leaning towards a Bar Crusher but hadnt considered a few other makes like the stacer and i think the Surtees and McClays look alright from across the ditch also. Good luck with the search but like a few others i think the price you mentioned buys a lot of boat these days so its all in your favour.
cheers
Rib

Boat Hog
13-08-2013, 05:53 AM
the rest of the boat of the stacer looks real thought out, real good heavy duty seats, walk threw screen, a lot of other option included that others don't, good engine choices at high horse power, but how will it go in 1.5m swell 15nts wind, because any offshore boat should handle those conditions ?

2nd question if a boat shop is offering a boat like this boat http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?seot=1&R=15076568&silo=-1&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Price_Decim al%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cpCar_Model_S tring%7c0&Cr=&trecs=7&__N=1456%20284%204294911705%204294858370
how much in price should I expect them to come down?

Seems like a lot of boat for the money. Ad doesn't mention what trailer the BMT package comes with? So maybe not the Alloy trailer pictured?

Noelm
13-08-2013, 09:02 AM
http://www.sunsetmotorsandmarine.com.au/details.php?pid=73
Including alloy trailer, 4stroke and everything else, including epirb

Fed
13-08-2013, 09:58 AM
For $50-$60K I'd want warranty & a boat that didn't leak.
http://www.sydneyangler.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=34961
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/archive/index.php/t-65585.html

Shame on them.

Jarrah Jack
13-08-2013, 11:23 AM
For $50-$60K I'd want warranty & a boat that didn't leak.
http://www.sydneyangler.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=34961
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/archive/index.php/t-65585.html

Shame on them.

I couldn't imagine anyone buying a Stacer/Quintrex after reading about those problems. Its not only those particular issues but how they deal with customers that's the major concern for me.

conco46
15-08-2013, 03:53 PM
im so confused now

I think stacer r well priced for 5mm plate 175 suzie for under $60k don't you, or should I go fiberglass ?????????????????????

I had my heart set on a fiberglass but there a bit more pricey and heavier to tow
what to do

ozynorts
15-08-2013, 04:15 PM
You might be surprised by the Yalta's mate. The 2200 Fisherman that is in the link that the lump put on here will weigh around 2t BMT. The boat only weight of the Stacer is 940kg and the Yalta 2200 is 850kg so there won't be much difference between the two. The Yalta has a 22 degree deadrise at the transom and the Stacer is 19. As I said you should be able to get one for the same money or less and the nearest dealer to you is in Burleigh.
This is a review of the Yalta.
http://www.marinews.com/boating/boat-test/yalta-odessa/154/

wags on the water
15-08-2013, 06:23 PM
im so confused now

I think stacer r well priced for 5mm plate 175 suzie for under $60k don't you, or should I go fiberglass ?????????????????????

I had my heart set on a fiberglass but there a bit more pricey and heavier to tow
what to do

See what happens when you listen to a bunch of fishermen rather than the voices in your head????

wags on the water
15-08-2013, 06:30 PM
im so confused now

what to do

Fibreglass boats are heavier therefore softer ride than aluminium hulls. They require larger outboards and are heavier to tow around. Your level of worry goes up a notch as well (ask Tangles) when you bump into things or pull the anchor up too fast.

Aluminium boats are lighter, require smaller outboards to run, not as hard on the hip pocket to tow around and are more likely to scratch and dent rather than crack when bringing the anchor up or getting stones thrown up whilst towing.

Each to their own when it comes to buying/owning a boat for you or your family's pleasure. Buy a boat that suits your needs and you'll be happier than buying a boat that a mate said you 'should' get.

lampuki
15-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Test drive, test drive, test drive!