PDA

View Full Version : Fines for no cargo net or prop cover

Callop
08-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Heard a rumour that fines were handed out at Raby Bay ramp on the weekend for not having a cargo net or prop cover.

Can anyone confirm this rumour ?

Archer63
08-08-2013, 01:21 PM
I was there on Sunday morning between 6.00am & 10.00am and I didn't hear or see anything.
Maybe they came later ?
What do you mean by a prop cover ?
Do you mean a red flag around your prop ?

solemandownunder
08-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Fines...by whom...police ?

Fisheries were there last Monday when I came in around 3pm....checked the catch & emergency gear - PFD, flares etc.

One particular officer asked me if I had ever been pulled up by the police re: cargo net on the boat....I replied "NO and I dont intend to, because I have had one since the hoohah started".

Although, AND I also mentioned to said officer that I think they would mean absolutely nothing if a major crash occurred...it is STILL the law & I have no problems with that.

Also I have a red flag on my prop when travelling....have not been pulled over for a prop guard as yet ????

Ray.

Giffo65
08-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Do convertible cars also have to have a cargo net,handbags and stuff can fly out and kill someone.Same thing really.

Gon Fishun
08-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Do convertible cars also have to have a cargo net,handbags and stuff can fly out and kill someone.Same thing really.

A local woman was pulled up in chinchilla (i think it was) and hit with a $200 fine for having her handbag on the front seat.
I was told to take my collapsible fishing rod off the dash.
Anythings possible.

cormorant
08-08-2013, 02:27 PM

No No Giffo the 40 y/o balding male handbags in convertibles have to wear a seatbelt like the rest of us who aren't folically and genitalia challenged. Now those manbags they carry have a handle strap and such cars designed for them obviously have a special manbag hanger as to not damage all the important hair care and cosmetics inside.

What about if the sunroof is open - the number of times I've been on the road and seen things sucked out a sunroof - all sunroofs should have nets as well. Need to weld up all those windows as well as after all we have aircon these days

Those damm pesky motorcyclist are a real issue as well. Every time I see one in a accident that piece of unrestrained meat on them separates from the bike and is so dangerous it sometimes dents guard rails and gutters . I vote all motorcyclist have a cargo net over them on their bikes so it is safer on the roads for all of us.

Welcome to the nanny state - and you thought it couldn't get any worse.;D

Benben86
08-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Where can I find this info about cargo nets and prop covers? The only load restraint info I can find is this....
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Loads-and-towing/Load-restraint.aspx
The way I read that, is if everything is secured and not going to fall out of the boat, there shouldn't be a problem.

Archer63
08-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Far be it for me to get involved in something that I am only partly sure of, but from what I understand, anything unsecured needs to be restrained in some way. Obviously the first thing boaties think of is smaller tinnies with loose stuff. I would suggest that anyone could get fined if they have loose items in any towable boat no matter what size. Think it's safer to store rods, eskies, tackle boxes etc in the car. In regards to the red flag on the prop, if your prop protruded further than 1200mm from the extremity of your trailer, then you must have a red flag attached.
Problem I have with all this is remembering this on my way home from the ramp !!
Cheers
Rob

WalrusLike
08-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Still haven't seen a first hand report of a boat over 5m being hassled about a net.

Won't believe it till someone actually has it happen to them.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Boat hog 2
08-08-2013, 05:33 PM
1200 mm overhang from the extremity of the trailer or the trailer lights.

cormorant
08-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Archer - put the prop flag on your car steering wheel when you pull it off the prop - can't miss it.. I put everything in a milk crate as I pull it off and that way I know if I have left a strap off etc as the crate isn't empty bar winch handle. Have a drybag in the crate to remind me to throw wallet ,key and phone in as a reminder rather than let them go swimming. Just a routine so no matter how tired etc I even have a couple of short bits of broom handle in there to remind me to pull rods out of rocket launcher - seems some idiot has lost a couple of them to trees on the way home. .....hmmmm.

solemandownunder
08-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Where can I find this info about cargo nets and prop covers? The only load restraint info I can find is this....
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Loads-and-towing/Load-restraint.aspx
The way I read that, is if everything is secured and not going to fall out of the boat, there shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah M8.....thats the way it works...it is only to cover anything that is NOT secured...like MY boat....ALL loose :D

Cheers, Ray.

Archer63
08-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Yeah, always careful on the way to the ramp, but less so on the way home.
Will have to get into a habit of creating a return routine before it costs me. Maybe if I keep the red flag with the tie down ratchets will help.
My understanding of the 1200mm rule is from end of the main frame, but I am a little unsure as well and would only be too happy to be corrected.
Cheers
Rob

JEWIENEWIE
08-08-2013, 07:10 PM
A bloke near the Byron region got done for having a coke can in the back of his ute. That's it, just a coke can. Nothing else. UNSECURED. He did give a bit of lip when the officer talk to him about it but copped a fine...
JN

Archer63
08-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Cormorant, things tend to happen when ya tired hey.
Washed boat and flushed motor when I got back but forgot to raise the motor back up to clear the gutter when reversing boat back out onto the road. Result is a gouge in the bitumen from the bottom of motor !!
Also forgot to put fold out steps back up and ended up bending them.
Never done that before and hope there isn't a repeat.
Cheers
Rob

solemandownunder
08-08-2013, 07:20 PM
A bloke near the Byron region got done for having a coke can in the back of his ute. That's it, just a coke can. Nothing else. UNSECURED. He did give a bit of lip when the officer talk to him about it but copped a fine...
JN

Recon THAT didnt help...and prolly a bit more to that story :P

Cops are a funny species...give em lip and they have the authority to up the anti. 8-)

Give em the respect they deserve....and the chances are a LOT better of receiving just a warning...:)

I find the same goes with ANY person with relevant authority...IN the main that is.

just sayin'......;)

Ray.

Short Fuse
09-08-2013, 12:39 AM
I have a number of family members and friends who are serving police officers within Queensland. They are currently stationed here in Brisbane, around Mackay and up in the Gulf. I have spoken to all of them in the last couple of days and they have all told me that they have not seen anything official telling them to target "unsecured" loads in boats. They also say they are not aware of any Transport Department crack down happening on this. One of these works at a busy suburban station on the southside, and says they get one or two people a week coming to the counter asking about this occuring. They continue to advise that the Police are not cracking down on boats without cargo nets covering them in transit.

Cheers

Jeff

deckie
09-08-2013, 01:19 AM
Cargo nets for boats when trailering ?
You arnt serious i hope.
...and i thought NSW was the queen of the nanny states :hanged:

WalrusLike
09-08-2013, 07:21 AM
..., They continue to advise that the Police are not cracking down on boats without cargo nets covering them in transit......

So can we all please just STFU about this rumour before someone high up decides it actually IS a good idea. :)

kingcray
09-08-2013, 07:27 AM
sorry Walrus but it is no rumour. Just because they aint 'cracking down' doesnt mean they are not issueing fines at all.
They were getting them down at horizon shores couple wkends ago and people have been fined at shorncliffe's cabbage tree creek ramp also.
It is mainly for things like thongs, towels, bags, bottles ... light stuff that could fly out

Richo1
09-08-2013, 07:35 AM
It's state wide, they are doing it in Cairns now too. My brother won't leave home without the cover on....he's only 10mins from the ramp!

WalrusLike
09-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Cray that's fine but I still haven't seen a first hand report of a 5 m plus boat being fined.

I could be wrong but sincerely hope not.

sharkymark2
09-08-2013, 07:48 AM
What about tip trucks going to the dump. How many of these dont have tie downs?

Short Fuse
09-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Following on from my late night post..... All of the Police that I spoke to about this own and regularly tow open tinnies between their homes and local boat ramps. They use a load rated tie down strap across their boats, and 1 has a hi viz cover over his prop. They make sure that there are no light objects that could blow out in transit left in the boat, but ice boxes, tackle boxes, gaffs in side pockets etc are in the boat. They do not use any sort of "cover" over their boats while towing locally. My mate in Mackay tows his 4.5m tinnie to Proserpine regularly to chase Faust barra. He does not use a cover during these tows. These are the people who would be the first to start covering their boats if this was happening because of their jobs. Is sort of frowned upon in the Force to be receiving traffic offence fines.

Since I retired from the Public Service to be a full time recreational fisherman, I am towing my boats around the northside on a very regular basis. I have been pulled over twice late at night while towing for random breath tests, and licence checks while the boat was on the back. They never looked at or checked the boat. Had a Transport Department Utility follow me up my street one day. I parked outside my house to open the gates. He slowed down took a look at the boat (load rated strap, orange cover on the prop, light board with new LED lights) gave me a nod and kept driving.

I also tow my Shark Cat up to Tin Can Bay fairly regularly as well as to the local ramps. It also has the covers on the props and a good load rated strap over the boat securing it to the trailer. Never been pulled over to be checked for unsecured loads within the boat.

I often wonder how much of this is the old Urban Legend mythology taking place. We have all heard about the Tradie getting booked for having his work boots laying in the back of the Ute, and the lady for having the handbag on the front seat of the family sedan, but do we actually know anyone personally who has received these fines. There is a huge number of members on this site who regularly tow their boats to ramps and back. If any of them have been on the recieving end of one of these fines, can they let us know what the fine was actually for. It should show what section of the transport act was covered by that fine. I will pass that along to my mates in the Force to get a follow up on it.

cheers

Jeff

WalrusLike
09-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Well said Electrical Fault. :)

LittleSkipper
09-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Has anyone bothered to contact 'MythBusters'?

Moonlighter
09-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Well said Electrical Fault. :)

Nice one Walrus!

He certainly is a faulty unit, I can assure you! :)

Prone to blowing up, especially in meetings with traitorous ex-fisheries greenies:-X

Short Fuse
09-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Many years ago, I owned a Sportfish CC in partnership with my brother Ray. It had the name Short Fuse written down the sides. At the old Scarby ramp one day when a bloke walked over and said "with a name like that, you must be Electricians?" "Nope mate" I replied, "the boat is named this because of the temper of one of its owners". The bloke looked at me, looked at my brother up in the boat, and walked off without another word. My brother asked me later what the bloke wanted - I replied "His house rewired".

Short Fuse
09-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Grant.

No faulty bits left. Surgeon removed them a while ago. Mind you, it was a big operation.

Planning to take the Cat out past the Cape on Sunday. Is tomorrow an option for the Tings?

Jeff

Crunchy
09-08-2013, 01:00 PM
There will be a different focus between a cop on patrol (Perhaps mainly targeting drink driving, hoons or whatever) and a cop that specifically goes to the ramp to book people for trailer offences. Just because you are not getting pulled up in your general travel with boat on the back doesn't mean that somewhere else they are not targeting boaties trailers.

But no I haven't met anyone who has been fined as yet either.....but then they are fining for a range of other very minor infringements like the bloke at Scarby fined for being in the rigging area too long even though there was not another boat in sight.

kingcray
09-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Crunchy, yeah heard about that bloke at scarby, also they were set up at Nudgee ramp while the prawns were on nabbing blokes for backing their trailers down , or driving through carpark without a seatbelt on.
Check out Symetre's new post. It will be sure to throw a spanner in the works!

The-easyrider
09-08-2013, 02:06 PM
If the law is targeting boaties not covering their boat then this and the time they are putting into nabbing Jay walkers and guys filtering on bikes then surely the crims will be quaking in their boots knowing that if they steal something then they are bound to get busted with such a diligent police force
What a waste of tax payer dollars maybe we should rename the police to the state government random tax collection department.

wags on the water
09-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Rules schmules - if this is what has to be done, why argue about it - stop ya whinging and cover ya load or are you going to spend a day in court and argue the point to a judge who doesn't give a fu ck?

PixieAU
09-08-2013, 03:15 PM
State Government is in need of money...that's about it

gunna
09-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Maybe they are planning to put the proceeds towards better boat ramps LOL.

jtpython
09-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Happened in Moranbah the last month copper pulled my boss up and same thing cargo net ......... So if it's out in the digglies 150 km SW of the ocean get ready for it
JT

ch1ppy
16-08-2013, 12:20 PM
most everybody comments are on the money, revenue raising, pedantic, cops wield their power like spoilt children on crack if they get the slightest aussie backchat that comes natural to some blokes (we need another Ballarat, Southern Cross rebellion, that'll teach em lol), also true that if it is a rule theres not much point worrying about, just do it or do your best and let things happen how they will, times used to be simpler, cops often more sensible and used common sense , now they look for ways to write tickets and only engage in conversation seemingly to tick boxes or hunting for more things to nab you on

i've always used a red flag even though it may be correct that its not needed (under 1.2m), i've always used one happily because i didnt want some drongo running into my prop or worse, just spent ages cleaning my boat at the ramp i dont want have to clean some persons blood off it later

went to a Off Road Caravan and camping show the other week and there was the Police giving a talk and power point presentation about vehicles and towing safty, this red flag and cargo net talk is much like what they talked about although they didnt go into boats they were on about 4WD and weight, and towing caravans etc and weights.

they said that many of the Nissan Patrols, Cruiser and all the others that have the extras on them like Roo bars etc are often over loaded with weight (GMV on the compliance plate) before you even sit in them, a Patrol for instance can carry a pay load of about 650-680kg from memory, but if you add up the weight of bull bar, roof rack, tow bar, winch, spotlights, awning, high lift jack and the list can go on and on , it doesnt take but a few of those items and already the car is at its limit,especially when you hook something onto the tow bar, say your boat weighs 2000kg and many people with large boats can easily weigh a LOT more than that, not hard to reach 3000kg, especially with all the extra ice and equipment on board, as a rule of thumb about 10% of that weight goes onto the tow bar which is counted as payload on the vehicle. so it can be possible that you have 300kg on the tow bar, the Nissan Patrol can take about 680kg, that leaves 380kg if the vehicle is stock standard, not even carrying seat covers, let alone heavier tyres or other add ons, stick four good size blokes in the car and the cops have you cold. then consider the boat trailer, what is the ATM of that, quite often its not that much so some trailers are awfull close to carring their max capacity, dealer packaged it that way to make the price better at the start and it often goes un-noticed.

the cops can be pedantic, this boy in blue the other day said if they want they can, because it is an offence, if you do not remove the tongue on your tow bar if not in use. the way he said it was like , hey we will if we feel like it, it is the law, he also showed vehicles in the outback that were overloaded , you know people with their cruiser full of sleeping gear, fridge, bit of fire wood on the roof racks and said if seen they do and will direct the person to the nearest way bridge (even if its hundreds of klm away). funny thing was he showed us a picture of his own nissan patrol parked outside the Prairie Pub at Parachilna , it was loaded to eyeballs with luggage, wood on top and had all the off road gear, he showed it no doubt to show we all do this .

difference is he gets away with it, as will most of us, but not all of us.

cheers
chippy

Marlin_Mike
16-08-2013, 12:23 PM
The only ones making money here are the cargo net manufacturers. Where does it say you MUST use a cargo net? Doesnt it say LOAD RESTRAINT?????????????????????

Mike

cormorant
16-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Chippy

Is that towball tongue removal one a QLD one or a national one? Haven't heard of that one for years but knew they enforced it in the 1970's

Coppers may get you but the real worry is the insurers and coroners if someone is severly hurt. That can be devastating financially, reputation and years of courts or goal time. Look at the 21 year old army bloke now charged I think when he rolled the troop carrier in Victoria. Was on a track, off road on a base but now charged by police for dang driving - bodily harm as at least one bloke riding in back died. Not sure if teh army is hanging him out to dry or the public prosecutor is on overtime. Hope he had all his signs, stickers and towball tongue in the right spot.

Gon Fishun
16-08-2013, 02:49 PM
The only ones making money here are the cargo net manufacturers. Where does it say you MUST use a cargo net? Doesnt it say LOAD RESTRAINT?????????????????????

Mike
I have 2 tool boxes in the back of a ute ( not bolted down) drop side tray, an a Frame with various odds and ends indside. The a frame is bolted to the tray body, the tool boxes have ratchet straps on them. At times I have milk crates with a lead, router in it's case, rolls of glazing channel etc, But I have ratchet straps over these. I do not have a cargo net. I have been pulled over a couple of times for breath and drug tests and at the same time the officers have looked in the back and have not given it a second glance. So to my mind if it's restrained it's ok.
Different strokes for different tradies though, depends on what you are carrying.

Marlin_Mike
16-08-2013, 04:27 PM
I have 2 tool boxes in the back of a ute ( not bolted down) drop side tray, an a Frame with various odds and ends indside. The a frame is bolted to the tray body, the tool boxes have ratchet straps on them. At times I have milk crates with a lead, router in it's case, rolls of glazing channel etc, But I have ratchet straps over these. I do not have a cargo net. I have been pulled over a couple of times for breath and drug tests and at the same time the officers have looked in the back and have not given it a second glance. So to my mind if it's restrained it's ok.
Different strokes for different tradies though, depends on what you are carrying.

My point exactly Gon Fishun.....................it says restrain your load............... it doesnt specify you MUST do it with a cargo net.

ch1ppy
16-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Chippy

Is that towball tongue removal one a QLD one or a national one? Haven't heard of that one for years but knew they enforced it in the 1970's

Coppers may get you but the real worry is the insurers and coroners if someone is severly hurt. That can be devastating financially, reputation and years of courts or goal time. Look at the 21 year old army bloke now charged I think when he rolled the troop carrier in Victoria. Was on a track, off road on a base but now charged by police for dang driving - bodily harm as at least one bloke riding in back died. Not sure if teh army is hanging him out to dry or the public prosecutor is on overtime. Hope he had all his signs, stickers and towball tongue in the right spot.

howdy cormorant,

i was lead to understand it was a national law, i dont remember them enforcing it in the 70's but i am not surprised..obviously the hayman Reese type towbars remove quite easy but some others are impossible and some bolt or screw on underneath..i do remember seeing quite a few new cars sold in the 90's (at least from country dealers, sedans and such) with standard towbars installed, the tongue would be removed kept in the boot along with the wiring and had to be bolted on when you wanted to use it, a royal pita, maybe not for a capable bloke but what about non mechanical types or some women or disabled folk, could probably lead to more accidents than any problems leaving the tongue on the bar.

you have a point about the insurance people, it is well worth noting if you have an accident towing your boat if your vehicle and or trailer is overloaded you can be in a real predicament where the insurance will/can look for ways out...the police seminar did go into that as well, although i noted that they made a point of stating that the fault (say overloaded weight) would have to be deemed to have been a major or significant factor in the accident or insurance claim-perhaps thats more so for the police benefit of whether to lay charges against you but the insurance will jump on anything they can.

the army thing, heard about it, don't know a lot about that particular case in detail. but the army have had some dodgy vehicles by normal standards for many years, a situation that is probbly changing as we speak, i know many of their old (70's 80's 90's) troop carriers were notorious for rolling, and you can still buy ex-army troopy land rovers that seat near a dozen , no seat belts needed if they are facing centre or some such thing, non of that really bothers me personally just that people need to use extreme restraint and common sense when driving others...young hot blooded aussies in the army though, things are bound to happen, contingencies the powers that be need to take responsibility for nowadays..same with many of the mining companies, many are ditching the hiluxs and turning to fords new ranger because of 5 star ancaps safety requirement which their insurance carriers demand

cheers
chippy

ch1ppy
16-08-2013, 04:48 PM
exactly, just a little common sense i would think, wouldnt stop a cop with a hangover and a short disposition booking you but you could come back at court (before court probably) with a triviality argument (something like its called, a genuine thing you lodge with the police), they look embarrassed if they get many of them against them.

funny , i remember one day couple of decades back asking a senior policeman about seat belts and number of people in the car (and yes i know the compliance plate says X amount of passengers) and he specifically told me that it didnt matter how many bums on seats there were so long as all seat belts were being used and that everyone had to be sitting on the seat, not someones lap, then it was ok ...at the time i took his word for it , he was convincing, but looking back a reckon it just doesnt add up...but hey in those days we used to sit in the back of utes' without a second thought lol

ericcs
16-08-2013, 06:49 PM
I have a number of family members and friends who are serving police officers within Queensland. They are currently stationed here in Brisbane, around Mackay and up in the Gulf. I have spoken to all of them in the last couple of days and they have all told me that they have not seen anything official telling them to target "unsecured" loads in boats. They also say they are not aware of any Transport Department crack down happening on this. One of these works at a busy suburban station on the southside, and says they get one or two people a week coming to the counter asking about this occuring. They continue to advise that the Police are not cracking down on boats without cargo nets covering them in transit.

Cheers

Jeff

i'll second this, my brother inlaw works at a major station on the southside, and he is aware of these rumours circulating. he has spoken to colleagues and transport officers, and no one has been instructed to crack down on unrestrained loads

Moonlighter
16-08-2013, 06:49 PM
As i mentioned in another post, these days the law is written as a "performance standard". What that means is that they tell you that the load must not be able to fall out and if it could, it must be appropriately restrained.

But they dont specify exactly how you might restrain it. As long as you can show that it is unable to fall out or move around and destabilise the vehicle, you are OK. So, a lightweight net will suitable to restrain some light items, but it will not be suitable for larger heavier items.

Again, if the items in your deep sided 6m boat cant bet blown out and wouldnt be likely to destabilise your trailer if they moved under heavy braking or swerving, then they dont need anything.

But if you have a low sided tinny with empty buckets, and crab pots stacked in there, you will need to do something to remove the possibility that they could blow out with road wind or if you jump on thepicks. Maybe a net, maybe tie them in, or something else. It is up to you to decide!

The thing with towbars is and oldie but is also largely a phurphy. They are only an issue if they restrict visibility of the number plate or the tail lights, or if they are sharp or protrude dangerously. This is from the Qld Transport website:

 Towbars and couplings must not obscure the towing vehicle’s number plate or rear
lights when the trailer is not connected.
Towbars, including towbar tongues, must not protrude dangerously or have sharp corners

ch1ppy
16-08-2013, 07:10 PM
performance standard sounds about right...phurphy though, depends on how you look at it i guess....if you have a senior Police officer, holding a seminar, instructing or informing the public on what is law, or least what they see as something they act on if they want to, then i guess it doesnt matter what you call it...as that quote says protruding dangerously or sharp...and as this police officer said at the seminar, how many people have knocked their shins on tow bars! so it seems according to him that justifies it

cheers
chippy

solemandownunder
16-08-2013, 07:18 PM
At the end of the day.....U know our old friend commonsense :-?

Well, although he has been away fer a wile, he has now resurfaced.

Simply make sure that everything is restrained in SOME shape or form, and everything is well 8-)

Go for a bit of overkill....put a red/fluro flag on the prop....ONCE anyone in authority sees this, they will deem that the person in charge is very dedicated to being as safe as he can, and the chances are that IF you are pulled over for ANY reason, at least it wont be the boat.

Cheers, Ray.

TheRealAndy
17-08-2013, 06:59 AM
As a motorcyclist who has had buckets and drinks fly out of tinnies at me I fully applaud the cops for doing this. I cant count the number I times I have had to dodge shit flying out of boats and tradesmans vehicles...

And yup, I have been guilty of it before myself (as a boatie and a tradie) but I am a lot more wiser to it these days.

Tracker
17-08-2013, 07:04 AM
saw a hunk of steel fall from a bin on the logan motorway one day.about 6 cars with damaged tires. not nice.(i missed it)

netmaker
05-11-2013, 07:27 AM
good mate of mine manages repco at wynnum. one of his customers was pinched recently for an unrestrained load in his tinny. my cargo net is now on order(at mates rates;))

Fed
05-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Do you know what was unrestrained mate?

netmaker
05-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Do you know what was unrestrained mate?

his fishing rods were laying loose on the floor of the boat.

snapperbasher
05-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Still havent actually heard any first hand accounts of anyone being fined??

Its always somebody someone knows??

can anybody here actually confirm they have been fined?

Netty...Sounds like your mate at Repco just upsold you a cargo net.... :-)...

Fed
05-11-2013, 09:07 AM
A clever netmaker would start a rumour like this to sell more nets.

netmaker
05-11-2013, 09:14 AM
hahaha. he has been a good mate for 25 years now and that is beneath him. I will be complying so I don't become a first hand account.

fed - I no longer sell nets. I only make my own.

snapperbasher
05-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Im sure it is Netty however my question still stands.....

I am happy to be the Guinea Pig as I'm refusing to cover my boat with a net until I get fined.....I will be sure to let you all know if and when it happens....

Shawn 66
05-11-2013, 09:21 AM
At the end of the day.....U know our old friend commonsense :-?

Well, although he has been away fer a wile, he has now resurfaced.

Simply make sure that everything is restrained in SOME shape or form, and everything is well 8-)

Go for a bit of overkill....put a red/fluro flag on the prop....ONCE anyone in authority sees this, they will deem that the person in charge is very dedicated to being as safe as he can, and the chances are that IF you are pulled over for ANY reason, at least it wont be the boat.

Cheers, Ray.
Only trouble with that is ,commonsense is not very common.
Shawn

Fed
05-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Better get some small ones for your car windows just in case.

snapperbasher
05-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Dead right Shawn...

Problem is we are creating a society lacking in commonsense....its only going to get worse!

cormorant
05-11-2013, 11:27 AM
As a motorcyclist who has had buckets and drinks fly out of tinnies at me I fully applaud the cops for doing this. I cant count the number I times I have had to dodge shit flying out of boats and tradesmans vehicles...

And yup, I have been guilty of it before myself (as a boatie and a tradie) but I am a lot more wiser to it these days.

Finders keepers , what is the problem.;D That's why sports bikes have such good brakes and swerve so well. Just overtake everything so nothin is ever in front of you was my younger days solution. Free drinks and I haven't bought a hat or lifejacket in 15 years.::) If only I had the matching eskys for all the esky lids . What was the problem again. Sort of like Darwin awards. Those who can dodge quick enough never ride again.:o

Triple
05-11-2013, 01:09 PM
I will chip in for anyone on here that gets fined for unrestrained load for loose objects in a deep sided boat to contest the fine and challenge it in court..

LittleSkipper
05-11-2013, 01:42 PM
I will chip in for anyone on here that gets fined for unrestrained load for loose objects in a deep sided boat to contest the fine and challenge it in court..

Triple! Are you serious? Chip in and contest the fine in a court of law? You must have very deep pockets?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Triple
05-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Haha Short arms with deep pockets.. I said chip in not pay for the lot!
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?rd=1&word=chip+in

Short Fuse
05-11-2013, 03:18 PM
See this old thread has surfaced again.

We just towed a 4.5m tinnie from Brisbane to Proserpine and back. The boat is owned by a senior policeman, no net or cover on it while on the road.

Just sayin.....

cheers

Jeff

LittleSkipper
06-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Triple! I. never used the words "pay for the lot" but you said you would contest the fine/s in a court of law so that may as well be "paying for the lot" cause the court costs alone will hurt you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

NArmstrong
07-01-2014, 04:30 PM
When the laws first changed a mate of mine got fined for a pair of gumboot on his trailer (meat workers!). Sad part is, copper wrote two tickets, 1 for each boot! That was an expensive ride home from work

snapperbasher
07-01-2014, 05:47 PM
When the laws first changed a mate of mine got fined for a pair of gumboot on his trailer (meat workers!). Sad part is, copper wrote two tickets, 1 for each boot! That was an expensive ride home from work
Gumboots on his trailer? Or the tray of his ute?

NArmstrong
07-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Tray of ute sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

snapperbasher
07-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Yep so we are still yet to find someone who has first hand experience with getting fined for a boat without a cargo net.... Don't think we will either....

bazza65
07-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Try driving a truck, if you have anything on the dash eg docket book, refidex, pack of fags, piece of rag you will be booked. bazza

snapperbasher
07-01-2014, 07:20 PM
I'm not disputing that bazza.... But as far as cargo nets over boats go I don't think we will find anyone who has been personally booked....

Crunchy
07-01-2014, 08:15 PM

Just as well he kept his socks on or would have been really costly.

dluxv6
07-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Was booked once for 4 x bald tyres , the cops later turned up at my place and required 3 x fines back apparently under the law u cannot get fined for more than once for the same thing so I would be taking the gumboot either the left or right fine back My2c drew

Casey Ison
07-01-2014, 09:10 PM
yep they were hitting tin can hard over the holidays, many got done for no nets, loose items. This was transport department by the way not Police.

Crunchy
07-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Got a photo?

Casey Ison
07-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Crunchy was that directed at me? Na no photo mate, I would of been able to get one if I thought it was necessary, they have been hammering us up this way even for anything in back of utes etc, only over the last 6-8 months really coming down hard up this way.. they are fining per item loose aswell, over $100 per item. Not sure if its not going on down the coast or what? Cheers!

Triple
07-01-2014, 10:24 PM
The overriding load restraint requirements in Queensland require that any load carried on or in your vehicle or trailer must:

not be placed in a way that makes your vehicle unstable or unsafe
be secured so it won’t move or fall from your vehicle while driving—including driving consisting of emergency braking or turning suddenly
not project from your vehicle in a way that is likely to injure a person, obstruct the path of other drivers or pedestrians, or damage another vehicle or anything else
be restrained using an appropriate load restraint method.

Examples and tips:
All furniture (unless it does not extend above the sides of the ute or trailer and is tightly packed) should be tightly restrained using rope or webbing straps.

If boxes are tightly packed and are not loaded above the sides of a ute or trailer, then rope or webbing straps will not be needed to restrain the load.

Larger tools (e.g. garden tools like shovels) should be restrained by ropes, straps or a cargo net if they are not adequately contained by the body.

So how could heavier items that would not affect vehicle stability if moved and cannot blow away and are adequately contained by the sides of the boat or ute tray with sides when driving consisting of emergency braking or turning suddenly, not in the event of an accident be deemed an unrestrained load?

Mike Delisser
07-01-2014, 10:27 PM

On what grounds would you base your challenge of a fine Tripple?

Triple
07-01-2014, 10:35 PM
as above....

And i would hope others on here chipped in too so no precedent is set and we have to strap down nearly every item in the boat as netting would not be a suitable restraint for heavier items.. Then what would happen with items in a convertible?

Yes, they need to crack down on unsecured loads that are a danger to others but a bit of common sense goes both ways.

snapperbasher
08-01-2014, 06:19 AM
Still no first hand examples only the same old story of I saw it happening or a mate of a mate got fined.... Surely with the number of people on ausfish towing boats everyday most without nets I wold say we would have a first hand account of a fine if it were actually happening....

Fed
08-01-2014, 07:16 AM
Good point basher, maybe they're taking a common sense approach towards boats.

Tinspo
08-01-2014, 07:42 AM
I was pulled over last friday by an unmarked traffic Cop. My lights weren't perfect, the rego stickers weren't applied and my number plate was missing.

He was initially concerned that the trailer was unregistered, I produced the receipts and with that out of the way he focussed on the weight of the boat that is massive on the trailer behind a little 2.7 hilux. I explained that BMT was 1.4 (Ali trailer and Sailfish Boat). Interestingly he said the weight mattered when full, I said but its not full, he insisted it didn't matter and I needed to consider the weight full of fuel even though it was empty. Anyway another 200 kg for fuel I didn't have and I was still legal. He then moved on to the tow hitch on the car that is Hayman Reece but without a capacity stamp. He didn't think it would take 1.6. Anyway after some back and forth he just walked off saying enjoy your day.

No looking in the boat, no issue with the number plate or the couple of items in the back of the ute.

I have only just bought the boat and was waiting on the new labels, had forgotten about the number plate that the previous owner had never attached in 5 years. I put it dowm to good Karma::). All items are now fixed though!!

Crunchy
08-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Crunchy was that directed at me? Na no photo mate, I would of been able to get one if I thought it was necessary, they have been hammering us up this way even for anything in back of utes etc, only over the last 6-8 months really coming down hard up this way.. they are fining per item loose aswell, over $100 per item. Not sure if its not going on down the coast or what? Cheers!

Just being a smart arse, as we like to say on here sometimes if no proof then it didn't happen. No malice intended

netmaker
08-01-2014, 07:53 AM
Still no first hand examples only the same old story of I saw it happening or a mate of a mate got fined.... Surely with the number of people on ausfish towing boats everyday most without nets I wold say we would have a first hand account of a fine if it were actually happening....

you won't get it from me now either. i spent the $30 and now spend an extra few minutes rigging and derigging. i figure if i look responsible they probably won't give me a second glance...

Moonlighter
08-01-2014, 11:25 AM
The overriding load restraint requirements in Queensland require that any load carried on or in your vehicle or trailer must:

be secured so it won’t move or fall from your vehicle while driving—including driving consisting of emergency braking or turning suddenly
not project from your vehicle in a way that is likely to injure a person, obstruct the path of other drivers or pedestrians, or damage another vehicle or anything else

Examples and tips:
All furniture (unless it does not extend above the sides of the ute or trailer and is tightly packed) should be tightly restrained using rope or webbing straps.

If boxes are tightly packed and are not loaded above the sides of a ute or trailer, then rope or webbing straps will not be needed to restrain the load.

Larger tools (e.g. garden tools like shovels) should be restrained by ropes, straps or a cargo net if they are not adequately contained by the body.

So how could heavier items that would not affect vehicle stability if moved and cannot blow away and are adequately contained by the sides of the boat or ute tray with sides when driving consisting of emergency braking or turning suddenly, not in the event of an accident be deemed an unrestrained load?

Exactly. Something that is adequately contained by the sides of the boat, is unlikely to destabilise if it moved, and is not light enough to blow out is, by definition, suitably restrained. NFA required.

The example of garden tools above - substitute fishing rods and the same applies. If they are adequately constrained by the sides of the boat - no need for extra restraints. Simple.

Same as eskies - if they are contained within and below the sides, and cant blow out or cause instability if they more, then no need for extra constraints. Simple too.

So you can clearly see that a deep sided larger boat is a completely different proposition to an open tinny.

So it is horses for courses. And a sensible interpretation has to apply.

Netmaker with his smaller tinny with lower sides might need to restrain his fishing rods, buckets, and other loose, light gear so it cant fly out as he flings the 4Wd thru the chicane. He doesn't HAVE to use a net, but it would be one suitable solution. Or, he could take that stuff out and shove it in the boot of his car.

In my 5.5m deep sided cuddy, the only thing i might need to do is put any empty buckets up the front in the cabin, or in front of the seats where they cant possibly blow out. Or like I usually do, slip a bungee around them hooked somewhere to keep them in.

A net over my boat is thus totally unnecessary. In fact it is hard to believe that a net would be appropriate in any deep sided boat unless it was filled with loose lightweight things. And thats not likely, is it?

Something many people don't know is that if you think the ticket you have been given is unfair or unreasonable, you can immediately approach the OIC of the Police station of the issuing officer and ask for it to be reviewed. If the OIC finds anything wrong or in doubt, the ticket gets cancelled immediately.

Same applies to Qld transport tickets. Approach the senior officer, put your case, and ask for it to be withdrawn. Costs you nothing, too.

But need to do it asap after the ticket is issued.

I have talked to senior police officers about this concept that people claim to have been booked and given separate tickets for each loose item in the ute/boat/trailer/ and they say that is rubbish and not only would the ticket be cancelled, the issuing officer would get a serious "please explain" from the hierarchy. Really guys, think about it! How would they count all the pieces of rubbish in a full trailer load that was unrestrained! It is just too silly to comprehend.

netmaker
08-01-2014, 11:38 AM
does have it's advantages too. i don't need to get all the loose crap sorted before i go home - just chuck the net over and leave.

timddo
08-01-2014, 12:42 PM
OK guys

I witness the Department of Transport give my mate a fine for a few boxes in the Ute tray. It was like $150 or so. The only reason he got a fine was there was a few boxes above the tray sides that had not been strapped down. The boxes below the tray was all good.
The fine was a set amount not per item.

Crunchy
08-01-2014, 01:12 PM
OK some good info coming though now, that's the last time I carry the bloody esky full of ice in the boot and break my back trying to get it into the boat at the ramp, back to being transported in the boat.

Mike Delisser
08-01-2014, 02:10 PM

On what grounds would you be fighting it Tripple, I didn't think the legislation had a lot of wriggle room.

On various occasions over the years I have personally seen quite a few buckets, a fishing rod, esky lids, a Nally Bin lid, life jackets, a raincoat, one of those cutting board/rod holder things, a swag, and rubbish all blow out of boats travelling on the highway. Any one of these could have caused an accident and the possible death of other road uses, but none would have blown out at all if the owner had a net or cover across his boat. Just sayin

PeterKroll
08-01-2014, 03:35 PM
It isn't a boat, to be sure, but when I was about 17, I saw the aftermath of an accident on the Bruce Highway that was caused by the failure of a front strap of a surf board on a roof rack. The board was lifted by the wind, and pivoted on the rear strap. The rear strap then broke, and the board speared nose first through the windscreen of the following car and the bloke behind the wheel.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Triple
08-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Read above posts mike, answered you the first time with what the guidelines are and what is deemed reasonable restraint like what moonlighter has stated. The legislation does not have much wriggle room and that goes both ways it's either legal or not. A heavy esky or rods n reels in the floor that cant blow out in a deep sided boat is suitably restrained without the needs for nets or tie downs. If an officers interpretation of the law differs to what I deemed reasonable by following their guidelines then i would contest it and let either the officer in charge at the cop shop or the judge if it went that far to decide. If you would happily bend over and pay the fine for what any reasonable person would disagree with and be clearly a revenue raising tactic then that's ok too. But like I and others have said, if they start on boats for clearly legally restrained items by their guidelines then what about loose items like handbags and loose change in the console etc in convertibles? Sunroofs? Windows down?

Mike Delisser
08-01-2014, 07:16 PM
But what grounds will you use to have the ticket overturned tripple?
The legislation doesn't say reasonably restrained......it says "must be restrained using an appropriate method",

You don't have to meet some of the dot points in that law, you have to meet all the dot points. And to prove you have complied with the legislation as it stands and have the ticket rescinded you'll still have to get around that last point. And you need grounds to contest it, if you just say to a judge "I contest it" you will lose. An object is either restrained or it isn't.

I recon most boats being towed would contain a lot more than the heavy eskie and rods n reels you use as your example too.
I'm not having a go at you tripple, I just can't see how anyone would possibly beat a ticket if one was written up for unsecured items in an open boat, considering what almost everyone carries in their boat.

chris69
08-01-2014, 07:41 PM
My neighour got harrassed a while back and the cop told him that even though the shifter was too heavy to bounce out.............................. its if the ute rolls.................... and or trailer,when he told me that it started to make sence on how there justerfying fineing someone per item other than to meet quotes in a fast way.

rayken1938
08-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Whilst traveling from Reddy Bay to Mudgeerbah at 4am last Monday i boogie board,one landing net couple of buckets and misc stuff like eskys but they all would have been secured wouldnt they.The boogie board was secured to a roof rack by occy straps and came loose when the driver went past a semi. Very scary experience as it kept changing direction.
Cheers
Ray

Triple
08-01-2014, 07:48 PM
But what grounds will you use to have the ticket overturned tripple?
The legislation doesn't say reasonably restrained......it says "must be restrained using an appropriate method",

If you read their guidelines the sides of the ute tray are an adequate restraint method for a lot of items and individual items don't need to restrained for the event of an accident only emergency braking and swerving.

Examples and tips:

"Most" items in a boat or ute that cannot blow away or become dislodged and are not heavy enough enough to deem the vehicle unstable if they move and are within the height of the sides of the ute/trailer/boat would be deemed a "contained load". Fig e.24 pic shows what I am getting at.
http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Reports/LoadRestraintGuide2004FullCopy.pdf

Casey Ison
08-01-2014, 08:46 PM
no worries about the comment Crunchy haha, well I know a lot people that should be in court against police up my way because as a local chippy, concretor we have been getting hammered weather its below tray sides or above $100 plus per item that is loose and no cargo net over the top.... I work FIFO but when im home the next person I know that gets a fine for this ill take a pic and post it up for you guys. I don't agree with the law what so ever I believe if it cant get out of the ute tray or blow out then why should it be restrained... But yeah good luck getting out of the fine. Cheers

Marlin_Mike
08-01-2014, 08:46 PM

snapperbasher
09-01-2014, 07:28 AM
no worries about the comment Crunchy haha, well I know a lot people that should be in court against police up my way because as a local chippy, concretor we have been getting hammered weather its below tray sides or above $100 plus per item that is loose and no cargo net over the top.... I work FIFO but when im home the next person I know that gets a fine for this ill take a pic and post it up for you guys. I don't agree with the law what so ever I believe if it cant get out of the ute tray or blow out then why should it be restrained... But yeah good luck getting out of the fine. Cheers

Im more interested in fines for unrestrained items in boats not ute trays..... however would still be interested to see a ticket for either...

Moonlighter
09-01-2014, 08:20 AM
Especially like to see a ticket with multiple fines for multiple items unrestrained!

andoland
09-01-2014, 12:42 PM
I was with some mates having a few drinks a little while ago when someone mentioned that a "mate of his" had been fined for having a pair of thongs in the back of his ute unrestrained. At the time there were a lot of stories going around town about police cracking down on unrestrained loads, the local paper was doing reports on it, etc.

Anyway, one of the blokes in our group was the officer in charge of the local police station and his response was "next time your mate mentions it, ask him to see the ticket and tell him to bring it down to the station and we'll tear it up for him. I bet he can't produce it."

So while I believe that there are people around who have been fined for unrestrained loads (whether in a boat or a ute) for large, heavy, dangerous items, e.g. tradies with a tray full of loose tools and toolboxes, the police are't issuing tickets for trivial things like fishing rods and gumboots.

Moonlighter
09-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Especially like to see a ticket with multiple fines for multiple items unrestrained!

Crikey!

I got a "like" from Fed!

NArmstrong
09-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Well I can tell u a guy got a fine for leaving his windows cracked to cool his car down in ipswich on the weekend. Is that trivial enough for u?

Triple
09-01-2014, 02:49 PM
And a bloke got fined $146 for lifting his foot off his motorcycle foot pegs.. http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/motorcyclist-fined-146-for-lifting-his-leg-off-footrest/story-fnihsrf2-1226797016499
And this just reiterates the fact that these sort of fines are nothing but revenue raisers and need to be contested.

Moonlighter
09-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Well I can tell u a guy got a fine for leaving his windows cracked to cool his car down in ipswich on the weekend. Is that trivial enough for u?

Yes, very trivial stuff there.

But am i alone in thinking that in one or more of the trivial examples quoted, perhaps there might just have been something that the receiver of the ticket might have said or done to the copper involved that changed the situation from a warning, to a ticket?

Maybe not, but maybe, the recipient's attitude was a contributing factor....

Just sayin.....

snapperbasher
09-01-2014, 03:46 PM

But am i alone in thinking that in one or more of the trivial examples quoted, perhaps there might just have been something that the receiver of the ticket might have said or done to the copper involved that changed the situation from a warning, to a ticket?

Just sayin.....

A MOTORIST fined for leaving his car window down got off lightly, the state's top cop says. Commissioner Ian Stewart said the car was also parked illegally on a footpath on the wrong side of the road.

Spot on Moonlighter......

snapperbasher
10-01-2014, 07:57 AM
Speaking of load restraint....I was following this guy home yesterday and in light of this thread I snapped a photo.....

Not very clear but he had a stack of timber on the back of the ute tray with no sides and had 2 ropes thrown over the top....however the rope was only touching the top two pieces of timber so everything else was loose...... dont know why he even bothered trying to tie it down.....99514

this one deserved a fine.....bloody dangerous!

Mike Delisser
10-01-2014, 04:45 PM

Just sayin.....

A MOTORIST fined for leaving his car window down got off lightly, the state's top cop says. Commissioner Ian Stewart said the car was also parked illegally on a footpath on the wrong side of the road.

Spot on Moonlighter......

The indecent Narmstrong mentioned occered in Ipswich, the indecent you're referring to happened at Deception Bay, where 4 other cars that were legally parked also received tickets for having the windows down. There have been quite a few tickets issued all over Qld for this and other very minor offences since the Gov introduced the new Clayton's "quota system".

Vitamin Sea
10-01-2014, 05:07 PM
So what was the pinch for, having windows down or being parked illagally? Or both? Since when is it an offence to leave windows down or part way down?

VS

Horse
10-01-2014, 05:30 PM
So what was the pinch for, having windows down or being parked illagally? Or both? Since when is it an offence to leave windows down or part way down?

VS
Under Queensland law, if a driver is more than 3m from their car, the vehicle must be "secured" with the engine off, hand brake applied, ignition key removed (if no one over 16 remains in vehicle) and windows up with a gap no more than 5cm.

Vitamin Sea
10-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks Neil

What a load of sh#t. The purpose of that legislation is?

Bill
Ps: what if you drive a convertible, which i use to. Do thry get booked to if the roof and windows are not up?

Mike Delisser
11-01-2014, 01:51 AM

VS

In that case he was only fined for having his windows slightly open, not for how he was parked, but like I said there's been dozens of fines issued in Qld over the past couple of weeks for having the car locked but the windows more than 5cm down.

Vitamin Sea
11-01-2014, 07:27 AM
In that case he was only fined for having his windows slightly open, not for how he was parked, but like I said there's been dozens of fines issued in Qld over the past couple of weeks for having the car locked but the windows more than 5cm down.

As i said, what a load of crap and they know it, thats why newmans pupet obviously felt the need to try and justify it.
I would try that out in court if i was pinched.
This state is going to sh$t
As i said, what if you have a convertible, or a targa top?
Dont want to hijak this thread.

chris69
11-01-2014, 09:49 AM
I have never thought about a convertible,if you were pulled over the cop could get you for a hat on your head, mobile in your pocket and your bottled water and sunglasses case in the center console and your 2 double pluggers you took off to drive bare foot,going by what other guys have been fined for in utes and boats not covered the convertible would be good revenue for a cop and lots of browny points to fill there quoter.

Jsmfun
11-01-2014, 11:23 AM
If the law is targeting boaties not covering their boat then this and the time they are putting into nabbing Jay walkers and guys filtering on bikes then surely the crims will be quaking in their boots knowing that if they steal something then they are bound to get busted with such a diligent police force
What a waste of tax payer dollars maybe we should rename the police to the state government random tax collection department. the problem is all the actual crims
that get caught can't afford to pay the fines issued (be it pitiful amounts for the hartache they cause )buy the courts .
there for they need fine adverage jo-blow for pidly things to get the revenue in.
in other word,s every one will pay the boss a lump some sooner or later it's just a mater of time

Vitamin Sea
11-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Just heard this morning on the radio another newman classic: every licenced tradie in Qld is going to get a background check, specifically targeting electricians and plumbers.

If it is shown that they have or have had any bikie association they will be given 6 months to disassociate or their work licence will be cancelled, WTF!!!!!!

They are telling you now who you can have as mates???

It might be just me but i believe that is outrageous.

Police state, lookout everyone!!!

Cheers

VS

bluefin59
11-01-2014, 12:36 PM
I am a long term construction worker and just renewed a ticket and previously it was handed over immediately at main roads but I just had to wait 2 weeks so they could do a criminal history check 😩😩😩so it's everyone not just plumbers and sparkies . And yes Newman is a dictAtor and is turning QLD into a police state , you can blame john Paul Langbrook for all this crap as he was in the cafe next to where the bikies had there scuffle what an over reaction😡😡😡😡😬😬

Horse
11-01-2014, 09:16 PM
What if a family member is a member of a motorcycle club? Newman is a Goose

Dignity
13-01-2014, 05:35 PM
As many bikies are Viet vets, will they not be allowed to partake in any marches or gatherings to commemorate Anzac Day.

novice23
14-01-2014, 11:11 PM
My boat is deeper from the gunnel to the floor than my car is from the window to the back seat. I'll put a net over my boat the day we need to put nets over our car windows.

tunaticer
27-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Ebay is flooded with nets that are cheap and easily modified for your boats.

gruntahunta
27-01-2014, 09:26 AM
My boat is deeper from the gunnel to the floor than my car is from the window to the back seat. I'll put a net over my boat the day we need to put nets over our car windows.

LOL Novice......actually there is a law for that as well, of course there is lol....anything in a car has to have a net or restraint to protect passenger and driver from unrestrained items in car....especially designed I am thinking with station wagons in mind.

ozscott
27-01-2014, 10:57 AM
One thing is for sure - as a result of a few tickets and a HEAP of rumour - such as with this thread - I have never seen so many loads covered with nets and tied down. Having copped/nearly copped the odd article blown out of the back/fallen out of the back of utes and trailers over the years I reckon its great. It would be a pain at times if you had a ute full of gear for a living, but for a few extra mins its much safer.

CHeers

Jeremy
27-01-2014, 12:06 PM
anything in a car has to have a net or restraint to protect passenger and driver from unrestrained items in car.....
What? Are you in Australia? Maybe a big night last night?

Jeremy
27-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Why is this thread still going? Topic has been covered again and again and as a collective the answer has been clearly provided.

ozscott
29-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Why is this thread still going? Topic has been covered again and again and as a collective the answer has been clearly provided.

Nice...'covered' again and again...I like it!!! Covered with a net!! Haha haha

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

PeterKroll
29-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Actually, that's good to know about unrestrained things INSIDE the car. With this in mind, I'm going to get a net for myself. There's no doubt that me unrestrained is a danger to others in the car, even with a seatbelt.

goona
23-03-2014, 01:38 PM
The thing with towbars is and oldie but is also largely a phurphy. They are only an issue if they restrict visibility of the number plate or the tail lights, or if they are sharp or protrude dangerously. This is from the Qld Transport website:

 Towbars and couplings must not obscure the towing vehicle’s number plate or rear
lights when the trailer is not connected.
Towbars, including towbar tongues, must not protrude dangerously or have sharp corners.

My brother got donefor his towbar however it was for the reason stated above and not just because it wa there,

goona
23-03-2014, 02:04 PM

Examples and tips:

Thanks Tripple for the Link. Very informative and I will print this off and keep in the glove box of the car just in case I get pulled up so in the event you can then politly argue the point. One thing that I found very ammusing is the transporting of boats section. Transporting boatsAs the Load Restraint Guide (referred to below) notes, a safety chain should be used in addition to the wire rope from the trailer’s winch to the bow of the boat and the boat should have a strap over the stern, attaching it to the trailer. If the boat is fitted with an outboard motor and its mounting to the stern is not designed to withstand bumps and other shocks encountered in road transport, it may be necessary to separately restrain the motor or remove it during transport.

There are a couple of shoulds there. Not you must have's. I guess this makes the strap issue a little ambiguous as have heard (Only heard not witnessed) there are a lot of people getting done for non rated straps up here in Gladdy. Also heard no rated shackles are also getting hit.

Goona

Mike Delisser
23-03-2014, 02:11 PM
A 10lt Tin of yellow paint jumped out of the back of an irresponsible painter's ute at the railway xing on Northgate Rd last week. Hundreds of cars would have paint splashes now.

Crunchy
03-04-2014, 04:53 PM
No evidence, merely heresay, third hand, take no responsibility for its accuracy, but I heard that there was a blitz at Clontarf boat ramp on this very issue recently?

boboncc
03-04-2014, 06:48 PM
You would think that with such a large membership to this forum that some may actually be police officers, and yet none seemed to have commented.

Makes me think in all probability it is all just a bit of rumour and hearsay!

2DKnBJ
03-04-2014, 09:03 PM
You would think that with such a large membership to this forum that some may actually be police officers, and yet none seemed to have commented.

Makes me think in all probability it is all just a bit of rumour and hearsay!

Exactly.
It's not that they don't want to comment but more they can't. Over the years on this forum I have met many of the water police at different rallies(boaties and fishing protests)and they are more than happy to help out on the job but are unable to speak out so to speak.
Cheers Dazza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angryant
03-04-2014, 09:25 PM
My industry association had a meeting last month and 2 compliance inspectors attended to discuss load restraints. Short answer is ....yes they are tightening up on this regulation.
For the Tradies among us I suggest you read the following link:
http://www.ntc.gov.au/viewpage.aspx?documentid=00862

I caught the guys after the meeting and asked what the go is regarding boats. They were pretty forthcoming and advised that if it a half cab/cuddy cab (my boat) they wouldn't have an issue with it due to the high sides. Outboard props are a different story...they will enforce.

Cheers
Angry

snapperbasher
03-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Still yet to here a first hand report of someone being booked. The police were at manly ramp on Sunday morning and happily watched me drive away with no cargo net over my open boat...... I did see two other boaties scrambling to get there cargo net out of the back of the car to cover up cause the fuzz was there.....

Crunchy
04-04-2014, 07:48 AM
With the prop flag thing the rules are if more than 1.2M from the end of the trailer and I think the end of the trailer is where the lights are, I use a light board resting under the motor on the trim & tilt mechanism and my prop is only 0.8M from the light board, anyone know if this argument will stack up?

Triple
04-04-2014, 08:26 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/search.php?searchid=1549202

MTAQ/BTAQ
04-04-2014, 09:44 AM
I was talking to a pro crabber at Redcliffe and he was fined $700 and trailer had to be inspected by Transport for a wheel nut missing, no rear tie down (even though there are 1 meter upright bars to stop the boat from jumping over), too much rust (so sand it down and paint over it) but no mention of cargo net or prop flag

Mike Delisser
04-04-2014, 06:34 PM
It's my belief a prop flag is only required if the distance between the tip of the prop and the rear cross-member (or back of the trailer) is greater than 1.2mts.

This is the reg here

Loads projecting from the back of a vehicle or trailer that are more than 1.2m from the back of your vehicle or trailer must display a warning device that is 450mm X 450mm. Anything less than 1.2m doesn't require a warning device.

DAVE_S
04-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Just spoke to a mate and he got pinched for his cargo net being to big ( 200mm mesh ) , $200 and no points .

snapperbasher
04-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Any chance of seeing the ticket?.....

DAVE_S
05-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Any chance of seeing the ticket?.....

Next time i see him i"ll ask , he tells me they were pulling them up on ricketts road .

greyfox
06-04-2014, 08:49 AM
I was at the Brisbane Boat Show yesterday (5.04.14) and asked the water police about the current status of these two issues. They said in Qld you need a marker/cover over anything that is more than 1 metre behind the rear of the trailer chassis whilst towing. They advised a simple method was a cheap brightly coloured safety vest used on construction sites by workers. I got one for a few dollars at the flea market today and it covers the prop/bottom of the leg. I just put a stretch strap around it. They said cargo nets over open boats whilst towing on a trailer is not mandatory but it is a requirement to secure anything that could be seen as a loose object. They said an example would be a stretch strap to secure buckets. It seems easier to use a net for peace of mind (even though it is annoying but better than being fined). Hope this all helps to clarify the present situation.

astro66
06-04-2014, 11:08 AM
pulled over by a transport inspection a couple of weeks ago with boat in tow ....told there is no need for a net...secure anything that could blow out........brother inlaw is a traffic officer and has told me as long as it cant fall out under emergence braking/swerve then you don't need to secure it .....

LittleSkipper
06-04-2014, 11:45 AM
This thread is starting to become very amusing because it's been going for so looonnnggg.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kiwifisho
06-04-2014, 12:54 PM
unfortunately it is a $100per item that is able to be lifted out of ute trailer boat as one concretor I know who was in Chinchilla working and got fined $2000 for his pegs he used to hold formwork in place. if the officer can put his hands thru the net then that cargo net is deemed useless also saw one bloke on the ipswich motorway get pulled up and the cop was emptying the ute and counting so no doubt a huge fine was on its way horrible start to the weekend.

Mike Delisser
06-04-2014, 03:44 PM
pulled over by a transport inspection a couple of weeks ago with boat in tow ....told there is no need for a net...secure anything that could blow out........brother inlaw is a traffic officer and has told me as long as it cant fall out under emergence braking/swerve then you don't need to secure it .....

And that's the same law that applies to utes. No law (boat or ute) says you need a net, it says items must be secured. The easiest way to avoid a fine is to use a net rather than tie each individual item down.

Fish Face
06-04-2014, 06:51 PM
And yet you keep reading..... And help make it looooonger... ;D

Barry Ehsman
06-04-2014, 07:33 PM
And yet you keep reading..... And help make it looooonger... ;D

& so do you apparently

Fish Face
06-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Not apparently,,, obviously.... But I'm enjoying it ::)