PDA

View Full Version : Bow Mount Elec... Left or Right side ??

tjotter
08-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Hi,

I am measuring & looking at options etc to squeeze an 55lb 48" Electric Bow mount onto a Aluminium 4.5m Runabout [ie it has a windscreen], &
realised I have been assuming it will go on the Left side of the bow eg 11oclock.
Q) What are the pros/cons of Left or Right ?.

Also, to get around space issues & reduce loss of access to anchorwell/walkthru cover,
will probably bolt a mounting Plate onto the foredeck that will overhang [like a 2nd bowsprit], unsure but maybe overhang 6? inches.
Q) Has anybody done this, & how
much overhang/what strength plate did they use ?

Thanks for your input.

tjotter
08-08-2013, 10:43 AM

burleygu
08-08-2013, 11:57 AM
mount it on the opposite side in which you drive.

Mike Delisser
08-08-2013, 04:25 PM
As Burleygu said, you don't want it to obstruct you view. I recon at least 90% of the time they get mounted on the left. Try to position the electric so when it's up it runs along your gunnel, hopefully not overhanging so it could be bumped by trees or pontoons, and not too far inside the gunnel as to take up valuable room inside the boat. Also for better control and economical use of your battery the shaft should be as close as you can get it to the center line of the hull when deployed.
Cheers
Mike

bigpat
08-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Agree with Mike's points. As far as how far the plate protrudes, I dummies up the leccy in the down (fishing) position, so the shaft was about 20mm or so clear. On my Stacer, only the skeg of the motor protrudes past the bow.....

tjotter
09-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the input.

I rang BLA "advice line" as they are the M/K importers ?.
They were pretty good, they said
- yes, gets more efficient & get more performance the closer to the bow,
- must be stowed flat/horizontal [so can click-lock at base plate],
- shaft is measured from top of prop-housing to bott-motor,
- for bow mount, shaft should be minimum 10-12" in water,
- if have to can hacksaw :( shaft [to make shorter] & re-thread wires "if careful" [didn't say what this does to anti rust coatings],
- base plate should be as flat/horizontal as possible, wedge etc f need be [I think this is partly so GPS works better],
- when stowed motor & prop-housing can be different directions, eg 1 horizontal & 1 vertical, does not matter.

Some of this probably sounds basic but I have never seen one in action.
& Mike, I never thought about the "better control", thanks.

bigpat
09-08-2013, 03:36 PM
I would think cutting the shaft is a bit drastic. The shaft should have an adjustable depth collar on it...

Mine (54lbs Watersnake) is mounted so the drive point is only 200-300mm off centre, so it still pulls nice and true. I made sure that the baseplate (8mm ally) was nice and level with the gunwale line, with wedges, before I welded in on.

Just look at pics on the net, take your time dummying it all up, and make sure it doesn't interfere with anything else, or passengers.

Also, from experience I recommend running a lightly tensioned bungy cord or occy strap from around the shaft near the control head, hooked down to the gunwale, to stop it bouncing up and down when driving on the road to protect the electronics, and not stressing the shaft.

Cheers,

Pat