PDA

View Full Version : Beach Worming

wazza10
05-08-2013, 04:37 AM
Decided to try beach worming, watched the you tube videos, got my stink bag organised, decided to spend the day on the sunny coast and went to Mudjimba. Tried on the last 2 hrs of the run out tide. Saw my first worm (ugly critter) after about 1 minute. I even managed to get the worm arching at the small piece of hand held bait. But I missed him by that much when I tried to grab him, this was repeated for the next hour or so. A local that was on the beach with his kids came down and showed me how he catches them - oh wasn't it easy for him. So, now I'm hooked on beach worming - I have to catch one. My question is, are there beach worms on the surf side of bribie - as I'm on the north side of Brissy, Bribie is a lot closer than the sunny coast.:-?

Noelm
05-08-2013, 08:31 AM
almost any beach has worms, it is quite tricky hey!

Fillet`n`Release
05-08-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm on Bribie and I've been "gunnadoo" the beachworming thing over at Woorim for god knows how long. Considering it's about $2 per worm at the local tackle shops, and it's a top bait. If you can master the art you're set.

Actually it's a mid-late afternoon runout atm, see if I can be assed to give Wed arvo a try. (to be continued ..... :) )

Noelm
05-08-2013, 09:21 AM
If the conditions are good, then worming is great fun, kids love it, and the rewards are good (fresh bait) I always try to use a small piece of Squid or something tough for my hand bait, use fish flesh and the sneaky buggers will nip a tiny bit off and zip back into the sand again, when learning, two people is the way to go, one to use the "bag" and one to actually worm.

Giffo65
05-08-2013, 10:31 AM
We were over the beach at Tugun yesterday getting some,the kids love it as well.Not a lot around over there though,but was more a day out than serious bait gathering,going out shortly to feed the fish with them,just finished work.

fandtm666
05-08-2013, 10:32 AM
i have also been a GUNAA give it a go and am actually going this arvo
with a mate who knows how its done to learn because i went for a fish
on saturday and it cost $3.50 a worm at the servo.

Giffo65
05-08-2013, 10:54 AM
$3.50 a worm ! Wow did not know they were that expensive.

gunna
05-08-2013, 12:47 PM
I once watched an aboriganal lady in waist deep water catching them with her toes. Now thats skill !!!

RayLamp
05-08-2013, 12:56 PM
I use combantrin as bait... no wonder I got nothing!

Agrav8_and_Lulu
05-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Just remember to walk up softly to them, to fast and you'll compress the sand they'll feel the pressure and go back down. Another hint if you miss it the first time move on to the next one it will save you Heep's of time.

Cheers
Darren

MrNanks
05-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Hi,
I always use a whiting tail or a similar fish tail as my hand bait.
I am a right hander but for some reason when I started beach worming at 12 years of age I started using my left hand as the catch hand.
Over the years I have taught many friends but I am not saying I am as good as the aboriginal lady waist deep. Now that is bloody good.
My basic tips are, try worming at the bottom of the tide. When you can see the worm heads coming up wait a few more waves and keep waving the stink bag and you may entice a worm higher up the beach. That gives you a bit more time and not having to rush while getting pounded by the next cold wave.
Then walk slowly down to the said worm and wave your bait to get them really excited as water washes back past them.
Next put your hand bait slowly near the worm so it gets a little taste.
The next step is crucial and you put your thumb and pointer finger in the sand either side of the worm. DO NOT TOUCH THE WORM OR MOVE SAND SUDDENLY TOWARDS IT.
While he /she is excitedly eating the bait slowly bring your fingers in, ensuring that you have sand between the worm and each of your thumb and pointer finger. I always bury my fingers and try to hold my thumb horizontal to the sand. This gives you a larger catch area when they retreat back into the sand.
Next learn to be patient until you get confident at this. At this stage you should feel the worm munching away on your hand bait with an ever so slight feel of the worm .You should still feel sand between the worm and fingers. If not you will lose a lot while you are on your "L" plates.
Next thing you will feel is the worm arch up all the way though your fingers and his head will arch up as well.
At this point of the head being at the top of the arch is the squeeze time. Then hopefully drag it out of the wet sand slowly. Big ones sometimes need the help of a wave washing back. That is for the next lesson though.
I am not saying this is the only way but this is how I have always done it.It was my part time job as a kid while my mates workes on Thursday nights and Saturdays a Kmart earning 25% of what I got and I had heaps of fun. It was a great afternoon with my mum.
Good luck.

MrNanks
05-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Sorry also, I find there are fewer worms in short deep gutters and beaches where the surf isn't as big. Allso try less popular beaches as far as people trafic goes. I would be surprised I Bribie doen't have them but definitley try the low tide. High tides will limit the amount of worms even at prime spots.

thelump
05-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Yep Mr Nanks is on the money. Everyone has a slightly different method and if you can catch them then you have the right method for you. I prefer a pippi to fish as a finger bait as they cant rip small bits off. A part of stingray flap is also good.
I put a foot either side of the worm a comfortable distance apart facing straight toward the sea. The worm should be in the middle of my stride about a foot or so in front of me. Once spotted and straddled they pretty much will stay there unless you touch them or they are very timid, which they can be at certain times. Wait for a wave to wash between your legs and as it starts to recede waive the finger bait slightly behind your legs so as not to hit the worm. Now the important bit. Keep an eye on the worm and the ocean while doing this. If it looks like a break in the waves then proceed if not then just wait till the next opportunity arises. As I said they wont go anywhere. If all good and you go in for the kill as the last of the wave is running off and the worm is up asking for the bait slip it down to it and let it get a good bite on it. Then proceed slowly as stated above. One thing I find is if when you get hold of it you pull the finger bait and worm together they are less likely to bury in. If you grab the worm and remove the finger bait a gazillion little legs will lock in causing you to rip the head off. I have attached a picture of my preferred grip being the second photo although my Mrs catches them nearly as good using the first grip shown. Hope this helps someone.

Noelm
05-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Once you grab them you also usually need to feel the worm relax before you try to yank them out of the sand, I am no expert by any means, but there is a definite relaxation, and then you can just slide them straight up, if they are tense and "grabbing" the sand, you have got no hope of pulling them out.

netmaker
05-08-2013, 03:30 PM
and it's best not to wear overly bright clothing (like pink tights) or you may make them skittish (or sick)

WalrusLike
05-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Nettie go back to your sums and stop fantasizing about men in tights. :)

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

MrNanks
05-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Are you a lefty to Lump, Macca ?

thelump
05-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Nah mate same as you a righty who catches them with my left. My old man is a lefty and he taught me so......

fish'n'chippy
05-08-2013, 07:34 PM
This is a vid I did a couple of years ago showing my method

http://m.youtube.com/?layout=tablet&client=mv-google&ytsession=B22XDSYh1PnVtyILAH-Z_0AKNyhsKKJ69BLeUJ7PgLbe-5g9ckOiD5Sth_nNt8ZD2nIKehwDiHrQ2nMJjspwIeC8rctjdSS kXQZzzaRq-slawsNWPZ7TN5cqybWldbA5tI5VqjKi8qj2h01M3PSlfld0phF-rqO3PgYex4iqD4s7oLvn1WAcLuRTPrkGkqpnwMRNaj4OcZ9H1f LRIcGk_yDlPt9tdI-VyrtxjU0SUJ2KCaTN10x64Adt6m4DfI9h0MyD1BC6aU_uiNhNZ TEkPg#/watch?v=a-As8ppan6g

Might be a good excuse for a beach M&G if there is enough interest, happy to teach anyone who wants to learn.

G

MrNanks
05-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Nice idea F &C . I reckon that will get thumbs up everywhere.

death_ship
05-08-2013, 08:51 PM
If your doin it right you and the worm don't realise he's caught, the big clue is always keep sand between your finger and the worm. The rest is hours of practice. Also secure your beer with an around the neck strap or you'll definitely lose it!

Still_Dreamin
05-08-2013, 09:06 PM
As everyone else has said but I also try not to let my shadow fall across the worm as I approach.

Noelm
06-08-2013, 08:17 AM
do beach worms have eyes? not sure about the shadow bit, but hey, if it works, it works.

mowerman
06-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Don't go dancing on the dinner table.

Think about it.

Rod

rtp1984
06-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Beach meet and great. Maybe when the whiting roll in at Inskip.

Thanks
Rob

chisel
07-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Has anyone in this thread actually confirmed they are there on Bribie's surf beach (Woorim/southern end) ?

rando
07-08-2013, 11:29 PM
I have found they come out easier if you pull sideways instead of straight up.
Also resist the urge to make that sudden grab right when you have have the worm between your fingers .pinch slowly till you feel you have a good grip but as soon as you do get good contact pull him out.
But it's that sudden pinch right at the end that will make them dive back down whereas a slow steady close tends not to alarm them as much.

reelcrazy
08-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Used to catch heaps of worms for pocket money when I was a youngun, there is one trick to catching them.

Same technique as mentioned before, either side of the head, then after the worm hooks onto the finger bait the worm will arch up to snap a piece of the bait off. When it is arching UP is the time I pinch/grab it about half and inch below the head, sand and all. You have to be quick.

At that point it is arching up all of the worm is on an upward move, so once your fingers close around it, just gently and quickly lift out, if you encounter resistance, just hold it steady, do not pull or you will break the worm in half.

If you keep a steady but light upward pull the worm will eventually release.

For the finger bait I used the round corm found in mullet gut, with the rest of the mullet gut in the end of a stocking or panty hose.

It is dynamite bait for worms (and bream)

jim_bream
08-08-2013, 04:07 PM
It's cheating I know- but a pair of worming pliers is definitley the way to go! (Any decent tackle shop should have them) You just trade off the lifespan of the worm for the numbers caught as sometimes they dont last too long after having their heads squashed... After seeing how the pliers work I found it easier to catch them by hand.

littlejim
09-08-2013, 05:53 PM
I started teaching myself how to do it on a holiday at Surfers.
I bloke came up and started chatting to me and giving me few tips.
Turned out he'd done it after school, and on weekends, as a kid. he sold them to bait shops and ended up buying himself an MG when the rest of us only had pushbikes.
(Despite his help I used to have to dig mine out after getting hold of them.)
Guess the other thing you have noticed, when you start getting them people swimming at the beach are stunned that the things are there, under the sand, where they are swimming.

lampuki
10-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Ticked this one off the list 3 days ago. I went from having absolutely no idea how it was even possible and getting rather frustrated, to now understanding how really good wormers can pull 5 out with one receding wave. After getting a few out consecutively I feel as though I can get the job done.

Being an L plater, I am extremely reluctant to provide advice, so please take it as just my experience.

Definitely agree about approaching the worm softly. I actually found that you could touch the worm softly without them freaking out and spooking them- its how I caught mine anyways. The trick for me was to let them have a good go at the bait before attempting to pull them out. They ended up being spooked a lot less if they felt a good meal was in the offer. Definitely a sense of achievement having a little bucket full of worms. One last thing, they are just bait, don't let worming eat into good fishing time :)

fandtm666
10-08-2013, 10:15 AM
i finally understand how its done now , we went to tugun and was shown how
It is so much easier understanding by watching live than any YouTube video.

After a few hours i finally caught a couple .

Jackinthebox
10-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Ahh beachworming, more fun than catching the whiting sometimes.

Got to put a time limit on it or i could do it all afternoon :)

Cheers,

Mick

fish'n'chippy
10-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Don't forget that there is a bag limit of 30 (whole or part)

nathank92
10-08-2013, 10:46 PM
i went beach worming once i failed but suprisingly people around me caught big tailor lol i went n did it near sunset at a beach where there were beach fisherman