PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Alternative for 'Youbee' Please?

Shark Poker
03-08-2013, 05:35 PM
My Diawa Sealine 900H is attached to an old Powerod broomstick rod.
The broomstick was shortened and given a roller tip to make it less sensitive and with more leverage.
The rod/reel combo weighs almost 4kg without any line.
The rig is supposed to be loaded with 80lb line to give us maximum drag and best chance against the 'ones that get away' in 60m plus thru the reef.
A mate named it "Youbee" meaning "You be ####ed if you get hooked on this"
The drag capacity and winching capacity is great, but mostly applies to the first 20 seconds of a hookup.
Surely there are lighter and more subtle options.
Any suggestions on more modern rigs that still allow muscles rather than skill would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance fellas!
Pauly

Horse
04-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Any of the good quality jigging style reels will do the job. A Talica would be a good choice but mates use bigger Toriums for the same sort of work. A heavy jig stick such as a T curve 400. Wilson Venom or Fin Nor Offshore 80lb would suit but I prefer a bit more length for general work and would probably go for a Terez 6'6" 40-100lb running 100lb braid over it. There are plenty of top shelf outfits that would be ideal but you would need a significant investment to get into them.

reggy
04-08-2013, 04:59 PM
If it`s less weight you are looking for, a TLD 20 or 25 will hold as much line and will pull as much drag as your 900h, but will be quite a bit lighter due to the graphite frame. The Penn Squall lever drag reels are also an option in this class.
If you want to stay with a star drag reel, the Penn 330 gt is available as a combination rod/reel, also graphite bodied.
These are cheaper, lighter options that will pull as much or more drag than your 900h.
If you want to spend more, then what Horse has said is good advice.

Shark Poker
04-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks Guys,
I did bugger a TLD25 a few yrs back.
As reggy said, the drag capacity was great. It even straightened hooks on its' first trip.
The winching capacity was not as robust. When locked up over structure, and with the rod in the holder so that you could crank a few turns (on the extended handle) as the boat floats down with the next swell, the TLD was not up to that treatment.

Thanks Horse for the tips of where to start looking.
I think I will apply some new 27kg mono to 'Youbee' and use it a couple more times while making the decision for its replacement.
And then I will keep it hidden somewhere for a rainy day....
Cheers
Pauly

reggy
05-08-2013, 03:06 AM
If you visit Alan Tani`s site, he shows how to upgrade the drag on the 900h.

marto78
05-08-2013, 08:31 AM
I've got an old Penn 330GT you can have for a 6 pack of beer if you want.

Shark Poker
05-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Hey Thanks, Marto,
Is that similar to a Penn 45 GLS lever drag?