PDA

View Full Version : Keen Angler Program 2013

Lucky_Phill
01-08-2013, 05:32 PM
July 2013 Keen Angler Update

Dear member,

On behalf of Fisheries Queensland, I would like to thank you for your participation in the Keen Angler Program.

A big thank you to all of the Keen Anglers out there who have donated their fish frames this year. So far in 2013 there have been 290catches donated to the program, which is great! Hopefully there will be some nice winter westerlies ahead for August and plenty more fish caught….and frames donated.
Remember, even if it is only one fish it counts! When you have your next bag of frames feel free to call to arrange pick up, even on weekends.

If you have any samples to pick up or require any sampling kits the number is (07) 3255 4205 or email me on:robert.prosser@daff.qld.gov.au (robert.prosser@daff.qld.gov.au).
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/a26a9902-213c-431c-a8e0-3ea0d148087e
Robert and a bag of Rocky Reef fish frames

How to donate your frames
When you catch ANY of our target species, even if it’s only one fish, make sure you keep the frame.
It’s easy……

Fillet your catch

2. Place the frame (with head, guts and gonads) into one of the sample bags

3. Fill in the waterproof label with pencil

4. Contact our Keen Angler Program Co-ordinator to arrange collection of your samples, OR drop your bagged and labelled samples into one of our helpful drop-off locations (see end of email for list)

Need more sampling kits?
Got some frames in your freezer?
Know someone else interested in donating fish frames?

(Keen Angler Program Coordinator)
Ph: (07) 3255 4205
Or
Email: robert.prosser@daff.qld.gov.au (robert.prosser@daff.qld.gov.au)

Target species

The Keen Angler Program collects fish frames for the following species year round:

Inshore & Estuarine Species
Yellowfin bream Acanthopagrus australis
Sand/Summer whiting Sillago ciliata
Goldenline whiting Sillago analis
Dusky flathead Platycephalus fuscus
Tailor Pomatomus saltatrix
MullowayArgyrosomus japonicus
Barramundi (tidal waters) Lates calcarifer
Rocky Reef
Snapper Pagrus auratus
Pearl perch Glaucosoma scapulare
Teraglin jew Atractoscion aequidens
Cobia/black kingfish Rachycentron canadum
Yellowtail kingfish Seriola lalandi
Common amberjack Seriola dumerili
Grass emperor (sweetlip)Lethrinus laticaudis
Mackerel
Spotted mackerel Scomberomorus munroi
Spanish mackerel Scomberomorus commerson
Grey mackerel Scomberomorus semifasciatus
School mackerel Scomberomorus queenslandicus

Tailor on the Bite!

If you are tailor fishing this winter don’t forget to donate your fish frames! We are particularly keen for donations of tailor frames from Moreton Bay, Moreton and Stradbroke Islands and the Sunshine Coast.

For those of you heading to Fraser Island, look out for our scientific monitoring team who will be on the island measuring fish and collecting frames on the following dates:

11th to 17th of August
31st of August to 6th September
28th of September to 4th of October

We are also conducting surveys around the northern Gold Coast, so be sure to say hello and let us measure your fish if you see our team.

Monitoring Updates

Fisheries Queensland scientists collect vital length, sex and age information from your donated frames. To view the latest monitoring results visit the Fisheries Queensland website:
http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries/monitoring-our-fisheries (http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries/monitoring-our-fisheries)

Monitoring pearl perch
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/fef37c62-7a21-491b-ae89-be34a3f2daf1
Pearl perch, Glaucosoma scapulare, is a popular target species for both recreational and commercial fishers, with peak catch periods in Autumn and late Spring.
Fisheries Queensland has been routinely collecting biological samples for this species, including their otoliths (ear bones), since 2006. The Keen Angler Program makes an important contribution to this work. The otoliths contain growth rings, in pearl perch these are visible once the otolith is sectioned and can be counted to help estimate the fish’s age.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/12a8ea03-8871-4510-8512-b4c59cd66796

Figure 1: A) A pair of otoliths removed from a pearl perch. The white line indicates where a thin section will be taken. B) A thin section removed from the centre of a pearl perch otolith. The red dots indicate annual growth rings.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/b3f7c34e-dd17-4fbe-b2be-e8f56d5944d0
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/1ad96707-8588-4d51-9cb1-2795a4dc2054
Figure 2: The length and age frequencies of pearl perch sampled from the commercial and recreational catch in 2012 (excluding fish caught on charter boats)

The length and age information collected during the sampling program indicate that pearl perch have variable growth rates. For example, in 2012, the longest pearl perch measured was 71 cm and was aged at 16 years old; however, the oldest fish aged was 20 years old but was only 65 cm.

Both the oldest and longest fish sampled were caught by the commercial sector.
The longest fish donated through the keen angler program was 61 cm (6 years old) and the oldest fish was 10 years old (60 cm).

In 2012, most of the pearl perch kept by fishers were between 3 and 7 years old, with very few fish older than 10. Interestingly, because of their slow and variable growth rate, a significant number of the 3, 4 and 5 year old pearl perch in the population are less than 35 cm, and thus protected from being harvested by the minimum legal size limit. This is important in assessing the sustainability of the fishery, as a recent study showed that pearl perch start to become reproductively mature at 2 – 3 years of age.

Frame drop off locations

We have freezers available at the following locations where you can hand in your fresh or frozen fish frames (with heads and guts) of our target species. Please ensure your frames are bagged with a completed KAP label when you drop them off.

Location Name Address Ask for Phone
Gladstone-Yeppoon CapReef Staff in Gladstone, Yeppoon & Rockhampton Bill Sawynok 4928 6133
Bundaberg Salty's Tackle World 22 Quay Street Bundaberg, QLD 4670
Matt Costar 4153 4747 Rainbow Beach The Chilli Bin 1 Karoonda Rd Rainbow Beach, QLD 4581
Juanita 5486 3788 Tin Can Bay
Cooloola Coast Seafoods 69 Gympie Rd Tin Can Bay, QLD 4580
Warren Sullivan 5486 4990 Tewantin Hooked on Angling and Outdoors 27 Hilton Terrace Tewantin, QLD 4565
Ed Vandercruk 5449 7541 Maroochydore Maroochy Fishing World 22 First Avenue Maroochydore, QLD 4558
Wayne Nilsson 5443 2714 Nth Stradbroke Is. Residence 104 Sovereign Road, Amity Point, QLD 4183
Lois Or Greg 3409 7305 0416029305
Currumbin Boatshed Bait & Tackle 2 Thrower Drive, Currumbin, QLD 4223
Leo Hoffs 5525 0338

cheers LP

wayno60
02-08-2013, 12:30 AM
So phill, in this case size doesn't matter???

Almako
02-08-2013, 07:19 AM
The article mentioned placing the fish "into one of the sample bags", where do we obtain these bags from?

Lucky_Phill
03-08-2013, 07:23 PM
If you are in Brisbane, you can organise them to be dropped off to you by contacting Robert Prosser as above.

Other than that, contact the person in you local area from the list above.

If you are coming to 1770 for the M & G, I will have enough bags at my place for your Spanish frames. Details will be in email to you soon.

cheers Phill

BigE
10-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Looks like Pearlies are next on the list for a reduced bag limit, get into em this season boys. Reseach = screwing for rec's.

of course some may believe i'm being a bit unfair in my comments, if you think this perhaps you could enlighten me and others to any reseach has found a sustainable number of any fish and made a recommendation to increase a limit.

just my thoughts.

BigE

sleepygreg
11-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Hmmm....I suppose BigE you would be one of the same lot of rec fishers that complained about lack of "scientific research" being used to decide closures and bag limits???????

Richard
12-08-2013, 06:16 AM
Looks like Pearlies are next on the list for a reduced bag limit, get into em this season boys. Reseach = screwing for rec's.

And if the science does actually show that pearlies are at risk of being overfished/wiped out, your view of 'get into them this season' is a really responsible way of making sure the next generation is able to catch some as well :(

BigE
13-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Not at all greg, it is my opinion that not much scientific reseach is used in these decisions. Most political decisions are based on reseach and not so much on science. espically if it does not support the prefered option of the group conducting the "reseach". all I have consistantly asks of any of numerous reseach efforts that have been conducted is what the number that will increase a bag limit there is of no answer because the aim of all reseach is to minamise or reduce the take of ordinary citizens.

Unfortunately Richard you and I will never know the truth, however I do support your right to have your own opinion on this. My opinion is there not under threat and most fisherman can get a feed of pearlies in the season. please enjoy your judgement of me on this subject as your wisdom surely surpasses my mere mortal thoughts.

Regards BigE

Jono_SS
14-08-2013, 09:02 AM
ok, I'll have a nibble on the bait...

Hi BigE.

I see you are continuing your anti-research view - I guess that's no surprise. You must really be surprised that we've been collecting data for lots of species and yet we still think the stocks are ok...I know that you think all the work done by every fish researcher is designed to increase size limits and reduce bag limits, but to cut a long story short, you are wrong. End of story.

A big thank you to the many Ausfish members that clearly disagree with you, and help our monitoring program.

regards.

Jonathan.

WalrusLike
14-08-2013, 09:19 AM
It buggers me how scientists who spend their whole working day (and often lots of the 'own' time) trying to get to the real truth of whatever they are investigating, cop crap from those who don't like to risk any light being shone on the situation.

Many critics are happy to give something a few moments thought, then happily decide that their opinion is as good, or better, than the science that represents many many hundreds / thousands of hours of dedicated skilled research.

Admittedly the political misuse and cherry picking of science is a sad tale that muddies the waters a bit.

But to say: 'Research is always aimed at reducing my freedoms', or the like, is a demonstration of profound ignorance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BigE
14-08-2013, 07:45 PM
all I have consistantly asks of any of numerous reseach efforts that have been conducted is what the number that will increase a bag limit there is of no answer because the aim of all reseach is to minamise or reduce the take of ordinary citizens.

Jono and Wal
As above, let me know what the number is?

BigE

Jono_SS
14-08-2013, 08:00 PM
As above, let me know what the number is?

forty two.

Horse
14-08-2013, 08:12 PM
In some ways I agree with BigE as to some policy outcomes being influenced by which way the political wind is blowing but we do need a lot more data to help support the fishery management decision making process. If data is collected and then presented in peer reviewed research propositions that help us manage our fisheries then I am all for it.
If the government wants to stop us fishing for Pearlies then they can do it without resorting to any scientific support. In my opinion additional accurate data will hopefully steer the policy makers in the best direction for the long term viability of our fisheries

BigE
14-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Three and half dozen , sounds achieveable I look forward to increase in limits. In all honesty guys I didn't mean to offend. I guess my views are just not that green. I wont hijack Phill's thread anymore. Apoligies Phill.

BigE

youngy
15-08-2013, 08:46 AM
I have been involved in this program for some years now with the whiting fishery, i find having the correct info on age and numbers much better than being critical with out knowing the facts.

The guys i have met while doing this are top blokes as well and some very good fishermen amongst them, cheers wayne

Lucky_Phill
15-08-2013, 07:21 PM
From the general fishing population prospective, it may seem that the only tools being used to manage the fishery are rec angler restrictions. Size and bag limits, closed seasons, zonings etc.

These measures are put in place to attempt to attain a “ sustainable fishery “. These seem to be the only tools available to FQ, from an outsiders perspective.

Obviously with a people population increase, rec angling increases as does the need to supply seafoods to the non-fishing populas. So how do the Fishery managers provide equality and sustainability ?

There are some tools that don’t seem to utilised for various reasons and maybe it is time to re-visit them.

Habitat destruction… mainland. OK, so we can’t halt progress and the almighty dollar will always piss over the lowly environment… so let’s gets serious about water quality… fine the be-jesus out of polluters and place those funds directly back into the fishery management efforts.

Wild Stocking…. Apparently this option is not viable, but how about we give it a go because this way using brood stock bred fingerlings etc, we can use a “ dna marker “ that can be used by FQ for research upon re-capture. Let’s face it, even if .01 % of the stocked Snapper survived to legal size ( maturity ) and spawned twice, the extrapolated effect would be enormous, would it not ? The monetary return on the stocking costs would pale into comparison when the end result is calculated on the tourism dollar and health and well-being effects of a family day out catching fresh seafood to eat.

Artificial Reefs……….. these are necessary to replace or enhance the fishery habitat and environment. Providing shelter and suitable substrates for soft corals, ferns and marine growth as well as molluscs etc. The Arti’s also provide an essential service to the fishery in dispersing fishing pressures from popular places. Artificial Reefs are an amazingly cost effective fishery tool that is grossly under-utilized by Fisheries Queensland and associated departments.

All the FQ staff do a great job and are passionate about what they do, albeit under limited “terms of reference “ and budgets.

Cheers LP