PDA

View Full Version : Cobia in the bay

solemandownunder
01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
I will understand if I dont get any replies to this...will do my penance quietly...

But, I was told by a young bloke when I was putting in from Raby Bay last tuesday to go whiting fishing that there are cobia around.

He suggested between the rous channel markers and harries JUST on the dropoff as the water gets deeper...6 mtrs I think he said.

Thanks to some great people on here, I can now catch Snaps & whiting & would now like to have a go at the cobia as a new challenge.

From the young guy at the ramp, it would seem that live whiting will do the trick as well as the normal livies......and on that note, are there any livies around the hope beacon ? Looking to pick some up on the way out with bait jig ?

The suggested rig was 4/0 hooks snelled and about 4ft of 30lb mono leader with the lead at the swivel where the leader joins.....so as to give a free flowing motion.

I would imagine the hook-up for livies would be something like another Ausfisher explained to me....one hook under the chin and the second in the side of the live bait.

Anyhows, I think I might have a go at this maybe next Monday or Tuesday......go out early, try to bag on whiting, then come back for the cobia.

Thanks, Ray.

Shark Poker
01-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Why don't you put a livey out while you fish for whiting Ray?

cobiaman
01-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Id go heavier leader than 30lb, thats for sure

marto78
01-08-2013, 05:56 PM
There was none at Curtain Artificial on Saturday night, come to think of it there was not much of anything really.

Definitely would be going stronger then 30lb leader.

solemandownunder
01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Paul, we are usually fishing for whiting in around 3-4 mts of water.....would there be cobia in that shallow depth ?

And guys...30lb not good enough...what would you suggest ?

Shark Poker
01-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Wow. Some people just can not help giving their fishing spot away!

thelump
01-08-2013, 07:26 PM
60-80lb minimum. Cobia can get very large and have a grinding style mouth/teeth. This combined with their absolute doggedness will sometimes result in a leader wearing through. Get a big one be prepared for a long hard slog. They are AWESOME!

bugman
01-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Ray,
Go a bit further and try any of the beacons on the inside of Moreton from the old 4 beacons north.
Is it S1 or S4 - can't remember now but it still has my record for a landed cobia - 34kg.
Any livey's are fine but move them through the water column by winding them up or letting them down as you drift past. Much better than leaving them set.
Brett

Giffo65
01-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Paul, we are usually fishing for whiting in around 3-4 mts of water.....would there be cobia in that shallow depth ?

I got a 21kg Cobe off Bundy in 6m of water on a Pike,I was fishing for Mackeral. As Macca said, they are awesome to catch and great table fish.

cobiaman
01-08-2013, 07:50 PM
I wouldnt bother try to chase cobia mate, they are so overated! They are so easy to catch anybody could catch one!

Shark Poker
01-08-2013, 08:53 PM

Ray,
Do not listen to any of these guys.
Shallow Water Cobia are a well kept secret and anyone you ask will either say that they do not know, or try to steer you in the wrong direction.
Besides, 3-4m can quickly drift become deeper as you drift around.......
Baits out... the only way!

MacDougall
01-08-2013, 09:02 PM
I've heard of cobia being caught in the bloody xREALLYPOPULARNSWFISHINGTOWNx marina on the semi-regular but only a few blokes seem to talk about it ever. Those that do seem to be shooting fish in a barrell. We're talking under 4 metres for sure and not baby cobe either.

solemandownunder
02-08-2013, 05:57 AM
I wouldnt bother try to chase cobia mate, they are so overated! They are so easy to catch anybody could catch one!

BUT but but....I was told they are good eating fish.....just wanna try at least ONE for the experience. :-?

I suppose, given your name "cobiaman", they would just COME to you anyways :P;D

Cheers, Ray.

solemandownunder
02-08-2013, 06:01 AM
Ray,
Go a bit further and try any of the beacons on the inside of Moreton from the old 4 beacons north.
Is it S1 or S4 - can't remember now but it still has my record for a landed cobia - 34kg.
Any livey's are fine but move them through the water column by winding them up or letting them down as you drift past. Much better than leaving them set.
Brett

I havnt been up that far yet Brett...sandhills is as far north for me so far. Thanks for that info.

Do you mean to actually fish AROUND the beacons you mention ?

Thanks, Ray.

solemandownunder
02-08-2013, 06:05 AM
60-80lb minimum. Cobia can get very large and have a grinding style mouth/teeth. This combined with their absolute doggedness will sometimes result in a leader wearing through. Get a big one be prepared for a long hard slog. They are AWESOME!

Thanks for that...would wire trace be an option, you know, like the leaders they sell in tackle shops ?

Not looking for any great size, maybe just over legal to start with & see what the eating is like.

Cheers, Ray.

solemandownunder
02-08-2013, 06:08 AM
Wow. Some people just can not help giving their fishing spot away!

Yeah..SILLY me :D

and I spent ALL that time using a spray can to mark big "X"s on the water where the best fish are.....dumbo that I AM :-[;D

Oceanranger24
02-08-2013, 06:14 AM
And remember that when you finally see the beast it will look like a shark. Amall bay cobes are 28kg and my normals are 36kg.
Most people lose their first few fish at the boat.
Ise a soft rod and avoid aggressive pump and wind. The hooks are 9ften just resting up against their crushing plate and have not penetrated their mouth at all. I use 12 0 suicides. Often the tips are crushed amd broken. Mayb3 try circles but I have never. No real opinion

Scalem
02-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Ray they are good chewing - I found the flesh stays together when cooked in Recipes that other fish falls apart such as soups and Thai curries. You can throw a fillet on the BBQ and cook it like a steak too, doesn't fall apart like other fish. My only time, (like you when i wanted to add to my bucket list )that I targeted them in the bay was at the 4 beacons about 10 years ago. We picked up a pair with livies caught at the beacon. Double hook up which came in at 37 and 28kg cleaned ( look in my photo gallery)
When gaffed they roll like a crock as you wrestle them into the boat. I found if you allow the gaf to spin with the fish by loosening your grip on the gaf just a touch so they can't spin off the hook of the gaf. Anyway, that worked for me I don't know how others overcome the way they roll. I hope you do ok like we did when we targeted them. Others caught offshore went nuts on small jigs, but that's another story. Good luck!

Scalem

thelump
02-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Thanks for that...would wire trace be an option, you know, like the leaders they sell in tackle shops ?

Not looking for any great size, maybe just over legal to start with & see what the eating is like.

Cheers, Ray.

I have caught one at 24kg using a wire trace. 27lb single strand from memory. The only reason I used it was because we were getting snipped off by schoolies at the time. I only fish 30lb mono mainline so they take a bit of time. My PB @ 32kg was on 60lb Black Magic tough trace. I had a snelled rig with a live pike. When we got it in the boat we found that the line between the 2 hooks was worn through and it was only because the top hook was in its lip that we got it. As for eating they are as good at 40kg as they are just legal. Great eating fish.

brissyboy79
02-08-2013, 10:16 PM
i got one off cleveland point early last year on 8lb and a plastic!! it went 55cm just luck i think but how it pulled i can only imagine how the big guys would go!!

solemandownunder
03-08-2013, 07:50 AM
Ok, so after all the advice, this is where I am at...

30lb Mono mainline with 18" 80lb plastic covered steel trace from bcf (the pre-made ones)....

Now, how to I go about rigging the 2 hooks that will fit onto the trace clip....using 80lb mono.

Do I just use gangs....or is there a way to snell 2 hooks so that I can clip the top hook onto the trace...in other words, snell the 1st hook, then the second & then just cut the tag end leaving me with 2 hooks that will just clip onto the end of the trace ? Is this viable ?

Or is there some other method that I should be using...ALL comments welcome.

Thanks, Ray.

bugman
03-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Ray
Regarding the beacons. Where ever you find the live bait is the best place to fish. If you jig you bait while drifting past the beacon, make your next drift the same line but fishing with your livey. As I said, move it through the water column. Works best for me
Brett

lethal
03-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Find the bait find the fish. I like to rig a livey on an 8/0 with a metre of 80lb fluro trace and 50lb main line. I put a livey on the bottom with an 8 ball and metre trace then put a couple out the back under balloons in varied depths, I used to fish 12m of water for them so one was about 2 metres under the surface and the other 5m under the surface. Put the balloons about 50m behind the boat and burley hard. Good luck.

cobiaman
03-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Get rid of the wire trace and just go a single 8/0 with a livey

Horse
03-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Yea Cobialessman is on the money. Stick with a mono trace. I like large livebaits such as Pike or even whiptails etc. Cobia can be found in the shallows as they chase crabs and baitfish. Check out any Manta Rays on the flats as well as Cobes will hang off them. I tend to work areas of coffee rock or structure that consistently hold bait

rtp1984
03-08-2013, 09:49 AM
I have seen cobia come right into the beach at skirmish point getting into the whiting I was fishing for. So don't be afraid of shallow water.

solemandownunder
03-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Get rid of the wire trace and just go a single 8/0 with a livey

OK...cool, now one last bit, what is the method for presenting the livie....hooked through the snout maybe ?

Any particular 8/0 hook preferred ?...suicide style maybe ?

And, hey guys, if ur havin' a good laugh at me asking the all these questions....have a beer or 30 & I'll join yas...:P

Ray.

lethal
03-08-2013, 04:08 PM
8/0 circle, I use owner but what ever you prefer, I hook through the back on change of tide or through the nose with current running.

Oceanranger24
03-08-2013, 04:50 PM
As said before, skip the wire. They don't have any teeth, just crushing plates.

tinsanity
02-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Get a hold of a local fishing DVD called Moreton bay fishing secrets.It is quite an old DVD if you can find it and is made by local pro Paul smith many years ago.There is a segment on cobes in the shallows and he describes the location in detail,although I can't remember where exactly.The bay snapper segment will blow you away!

solemandownunder
02-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Get a hold of a local fishing DVD called Moreton bay fishing secrets.It is quite an old DVD if you can find it and is made by local pro Paul smith many years ago.There is a segment on cobes in the shallows and he describes the location in detail,although I can't remember where exactly.The bay snapper segment will blow you away!

Thanks fer that TS....I have only token fished cobes so far with nil result...
Would be good to get some inside info.

Cheers, Ray.

webby
02-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Most of the cobes around the rous and bank are small ones, especially during the winter months.
You have to head further nth from tangas and live bait the beacons up around bulwer and cowan
or there are a few wrecks around the 1mile beacons, if some one would give them to you.
otherwise western rocks from now on will see cobes turning up or the coffee rocks off moreton ocean side in the shallows..