PDA

View Full Version : Hydrastar Brake Noise.

The Shafter
30-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Hi Guys,

I've got a new alloy trailer - Dunbier AS7.0M-14THE (http://www.dunbier.com/trailers/trailers-for-aluminium-boats/aluminium-trailers-2/aluminium-suparoller-series/as7-0m-14the/) which is set-up with the Hydrastar electric/hydraulic brakes system. My tow vehicle has just been fitted with a tekonsha brakecontoller.

Has anyone had experience with this setup? My concern is the amount of noise coming from the hydrastar actuator.

Upon connecting trailer and adjusting the brake controller to the manuals specs there was a small amount of noise coming from the hydrastar actuator when brakes are applied.
I suspect this to be normal when in use.

Now after the long trip home and sitting in shed for several months the hydrastar actuator has a loud noise coming from it. You can clearly hear it from inside the vehicle. I didn't notice any difference in braking but it had been four months and my memories not that good.

Rang the salesman, he seems to think that they do make a lot of noise when activated.

My last Dunbier trailer with electric/hydraulic brakes made no noise, so I'm not sure if they are working properly or there is a problem.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
Cheers
Steve.

Mattya
30-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Describe the noise for us please, buzzing? Ticking?

tenzing
30-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Yep they are pretty loud. If you sit in the driveway you can turn the manual lever on the tekonsha to activate the brakes, we normally do this on hookup as part of our checks, and the pump makes a very audible whining type noise.
I reckon it helps remind you not to sit at the lights with your foot on the brakes. I normally use neutral ( auto) and handbrake when I have to sit for a while.
Try pulling out the black override plug while you are at it( on the side of the hydrastar unit), you get to hear it up close and personal then. You will want to do that from time to time as well to make sure your battery is up to the task.
Cheers
Brendan

Muddy Toes
30-07-2013, 11:45 PM
I've got a Hydrastar brake actuator and a Tekonsha P3 controller and I can hear it from inside my car.

There was actually a time I hooked it up at home and realised I couldn't hear it when I did my first brake application down my street and that in itself lead me to use the override lever to test the unit and it had actually stopped working due to a lose wire.

I think because I tow with it so often when ever I don't hear it working when I apply the brakes it sparks my brain enough to realise something may be wrong.

wags on the water
31-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Try pulling out the black override plug while you are at it( on the side of the hydrastar unit), you get to hear it up close and personal then. You will want to do that from time to time as well to make sure your battery is up to the task.
Cheers
Brendan

If you do this more than three times you WILL be up for a new circuit board ($280) - the override plug is for emergencies only - hence why it is your emergency brake if your trailer should ever leave your hitch whilst driving. And the activated brakes can be heard from inside the car as others have noted. If you only have the Teckonsha Prodigy controller, then you will hear a continuing ticking noise. P3 for me.

Good luck with it.

Wags

Spaniard_King
31-07-2013, 04:39 AM
Check the brake fluid level??

tenzing
31-07-2013, 06:27 AM
If you do this more than three times you WILL be up for a new circuit board ($280) - the override plug is for emergencies only - hence why it is your emergency brake if your trailer should ever leave your hitch whilst driving. And the activated brakes can be heard from inside the car as others have noted. If you only have the Teckonsha Prodigy controller, then you will hear a continuing ticking noise. P3 for me.

Good luck with it.

Wags

Gee Wags
That is certainly news to me .
A quick check of my manual shows the description of the testing of the tearaway unit by removing the plug. I didnt see where it says there is a maximum number of times this can be done
I am certainly no mechanical expert , and have probably done this only a handful of times in the 6 years I have owned this unit ( the last time by tripping over the cable in the dark - would have looked funny as I scrambled around trying to find the plug!)and certainly wouldnt think it is a regular test to perform.
Where does this information come from Wags? I am happy to go with it if it is the case.
The manual also describes the Variable pitch of the "hum" from the actuator with increased braking force, and the need to use the handbrake when stopped for longer periods.
Cheers
Brendan

wags on the water
31-07-2013, 01:05 PM
This information comes from my experience - maybe I should have written that down. My manual states the same procedure, but I'm certainly not going to do it again. After driving to the other side of the world (Lawnton) to get my trailer fixed I also had an in-depth conversation with these guys - http://www.hydrastar.com.au/ about the maximum usage of the breakaway system.
I can tell you that to replace the circuit board you need to remove your unit from the trailer, empty fluid, remove back cover - or fluid will go everywhere - replace said unit then put the lot back together and bleed your system. Very hard to do it all by yourself.

honda900
31-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Steve,

I have the same trailer and brake setup, tekonsha P3, as others have said, buzzing noise can be heard.

Regards
HOnda.

The Shafter
31-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Yes the pump makes a loud whining/squealing noise, the pitch changes.
It sounded that stressed I thought something may have been wrong.
I'll check it again once the rig gets back from the factory.

Steve