PDA

View Full Version : Teleflex steering problem

captain red beard
30-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Hi guys, I have another steering question.
I have a yalta craft triple 5 with a 2stroke 130 yamaha. The steering helm broke the other week while out fishing and I have just bought a replacement helm but have just found that the original one I had was the non feed back type. The replacement one I have now is the normal safety steer 3.0, so my question is should I still fit it so I can go fishing this weekend or should I just wait and get the nfb like I had originally.
Will the same cable still fit?
Will my boat be hard to steer with the normal helm?

Thanks red beard

no chicken tonight
30-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Im no expert, but from my past experiences, you will always have a boat thats unpleasant to steer, espesially with the helm youve got.
I know its a lot more coin, but a hydraulic setup will be the best improvemnt you can do to a boat with that horse power. And you will probly never have another steering issue again. Or, just fit the helm youve got and get out there, but you will spend more down the track.

honda900
30-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Captain red beard,

From experience changing from NFB to Hydraulic on a Yalta, really didn't make that much difference the NFB was as good if not sharper than (less turns) than the hydraulic. NFB will break again though that being the down side.

Regards
Honda.

Shark Poker
30-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Up to you whether you change the helm or not, but the biggest difference is that without NFB helm, if you let go the wheel you could find yourself in a hard lock turn seconds later.
You do not need hydraulic steering.
Pauly

captain red beard
30-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the replies guys,
I had decided against the hydraulic steering when I first started looking for a replacement steering setup and decided to stick with the cable. The problem now is I will just have to wait and get the nfb helm. My boat was awesome to steer with the original setup so anything less would just upset me.
Worse case is if the weather comes good and I don't have the New helm yet, I could fit the other one I bought for one fishing trip and then try and sell it 2nd hand.

One upside to the cable setup (on my boat anyway) is that when it broke I was 70km off mackay and was able to get home with no dramas at all. Would have been different with a broken cable but.

Cheers
Red Beard

Shark Poker
30-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Another short term option involves a paddle, a PFD (life jacket) and some rope.
What you do is lash the paddle on to the side of the outboard, using the PFD as a fender so you will not scratch the paint on the cowling.
Then you have a nicely improvised tiller handle which can give you hours of fun.
Full stern ahead!
Pauly

captain red beard
30-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Hey fatbuoy, it was real close to that but using a gaff instead of a paddle. Real close to calling vmr as well but thought we would try and get in a bit closer before calling them up when we realised we could still steer, kind of. When we realised that we turned the boat around and got a few more fish before heading home q

Shark Poker
30-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Hey now that's the Spirit!!! Well done. Love your work.