PDA

View Full Version : Setting up boat for home repairs?

Mattya
25-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Hello All.
So I've done a few little glass repairs to my transom, splash well and gun whales with paint and all and so far it's turned out ok, so I think I'm ready to have a go at repairing a few scratches in the bottom and repair a small crack I have found which looks like it's hit the ramp a few times. Then maybe give the bottom side a new coat of paint.

What's the best way to tackle this? I've searched the forum, but as far as I can tell people are removing the boat from the trailer at home for repairs to the trailer and not the hull itself.
Can I just lay it on its side propped up on tyres and do a side at a time or should I make a jig and work directly underneath it? (I don't think my arms could handle the sanding)
I don't want to flip it upside down for various reasons or have to pay someone else to do it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Ps, it's a mustang 1700 half cab :)

Spiderpig
26-07-2013, 06:11 AM
I'm no expert mate, but have been doing some reading.

This is quite interesting:

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/HowTo-Publications/Fiberglass-Boat-Repair-and-Maintenance.pdf

Apollo
26-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Side at a time would be my best solution, but make sure it is well propped and anchored. Much more comfortable doing it this way than upside down. Also make sure all fuel is drained prior.

Mattya
26-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Cheers for the replies. What's the best way of putting it on its side on the grass?

thelump
26-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Cheers for the replies. What's the best way of putting it on its side on the grass?

Yeah you could try grass but from previous experience it slows you down a bit. Maybe try some Rum!

Apollo
26-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Launch it onto tyres and ratchetted it up using straps with tyres under the chines and gunnel. Cover the tyre with a tarp or rags to avoid marking of your hull. Once up, prop very well and don't just rely on the straps.

Mattya
26-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks Apollo, will this be ok with the motor on?

Apollo
26-07-2013, 07:16 PM
My thoughts are yes. You will obviously have the motor trimmed all the way up but as you will in reality only be tilting the boat over 45-50 degrees the power plant will always be above the leg so oil issues should not be a problem.