PDA

View Full Version : What gets serviced in a service?

Cheech
23-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Wondering what actually gets done during a service. With my optimax, apart from checking the plugs and cylinder pressures, is there anything else that gets done on the top end, or does a standard service primarily focus on the leg?

myusernam
23-07-2013, 09:59 AM
every 100 hours take leg off, grease bolts with marine grease. check impellor and usually replace (esp if paying someone). inspect and change gear oil. new gear oil sump washers. new plugs. splash some grease around. Decarbonise (spray) down throats of carbies and engine tuner in tank. (omc decarboniser best) job done for 2 stroke. piece of pxss
change engine fuel filters.
If you have had no error codes then there is no point checking the puter (which u cant anyway)
(p.s. can replace whole impellor housing if worn. If gearbox oil stinks or is milky it is getting water in it. Get pressure tested and repaired by dealer)

Noelm
23-07-2013, 10:05 AM
There is quite a bit to do it properly, a home service usually entails all the easy stuff, the tricky things done include timing pick ups and throttle synchronisation, (this is old 2 stroke) plugs, ignition check, compression test and report, possible carby clean, oil system check and filters replaced/cleaned, oil alarms checked, then onto the lower leg, water pump, oils and seals checked, pressure test gearbox, remove propeller and check shaft seal and so on, a home service is cheaper, but you do NOT do everything that a trained reputable dealer would. An Optimax is MUCH more complicated, and requires laptop and dealer software to do it properly.

myusernam
23-07-2013, 10:05 AM
should add unaware of any optimax specific stuff. On an OMC injected 2 stroke it is important to index the plugs (service bulletin available online) - which just means the back of the electrode cant face the injector nozzle and obstruct the spray. to get around this you just have a few extra plugs and mark them with a pen. there are two threads. SB available by google search for plug indexing. youtube videos also. Dont know if important on opti. Plugs available online for $7.60 each.
Boats.net have hell cheap spares but you cant import mercury directly. you would have to use a freight forwarding service (worth it)

Noelm
23-07-2013, 10:08 AM
a knowing dealer doing your Opti will also be aware of possible compressor bolt failure, and a hot of other things to check, along with the "normal" service items.

myusernam
23-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Really noelm? I reckon half that stuff doesnt get checked at a dealer if it is running sweet. I guess experienced mechanics can just tell if something is up and then check that stuff. If there was anything wrong id take to dealer but I am happy servicing my omc. I disagree witht he computer. My omc never shows any alarms in all the years I have owned except for water in filter etc. If you havn't heard an alarm, then there will be nothing saved in the logs. If you have but know what tiwas (water alarm etc) all good. tI dont think they are more complicated either (my engine anywahey) just the same as a normal 2 banger witha puter and four injectors.

myusernam
23-07-2013, 10:13 AM
yeah have heard of compressor bolts.

Cheech
23-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. A bit more info behind my question,,,,

I have had this second hand opti for just under a year, and it was serviced just before I got it, so about due. But due to trailer problems I have only done about 20 hours. So thinking that the leg is all that needs doing. (I was told that bolt issue had been fixed on this motor)

A friend of mine and deckie works part time at a jetski shop in the redlands that also does outboard servicing at work, so he has taken the leg off and taken it to work where he is servicing it. Initially I wanted to take it in for a full service, but he is adamant just the leg is needed. At least this time. So was interested to see what you thought may be needed in addition.

Interesting discussion on backyard versus professional. The previous service was done at a very reputable bayside dealer. I received a call last night telling me how the service is going. Apparently the magnet was installed around the wrong way. Top instead of bottom, or something like that. And it had been ground down due to the incorrect installation. Something else was not right as well, but I don't recall what he said that was. Bits of fine magnet particles in the oil. So this was at a professional service! Obviously now a lot of checking and cleaning to make sure there is no other damage, and a few extra replacement parts needed. Looks like my trailer problems were a godsend otherwise I would have probably racked up 100 hours with this crap in my gear oil doing who knows what damage.

bobbyb
23-07-2013, 12:48 PM
hi cheech, have a look on this site. http://www.airinjectors.com/aircompressors.html a lot more to the opti's then you think............. I wonder if all mercury mechanics know about these small inline filters??

Noelm
23-07-2013, 01:15 PM
I would think a trained Mercury dealer technician will know about it, BUT whether they get serviced or not will depend on your dealer, the GOOD ones will, the slack ones (and the home mechanics) will not. A good dealer is a good person to have on your side, there is lots of "mechanics" around, some can turn spanners with the best of them, BUT it is the inside knowledge and integrity that sets them apart, as mentioned, one dealer very close to me is excellent, I don't say to not do routine service yourself, it is reasonably easy, and I do lots myself, but a good guy will do lots of things you may not even know about (or be charged for)

tassjo
23-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Really myusernam? Being in the auto industry(merchanic) since 1986 I was a bit skeptical,i went to the trouble of marking 2 spark plugs and disconnecting the wiring to the port light, (connection looks like it is connected but is not you know what I mean).Sorry to mention this was a new boat.Well they did a compression test(plugs not in the same place, they also adjusted the cables ie throttle & gear cable,they also re routed some of the wirring and blower duct,i also had some abrasion marks on the lower leg which they painted looks like new again and fixed the port light.

I believe most do a great job and do what is in the manual,i couldn't off been more impressed
As for the error codes in the auto industry even a slightly flat battery symptom can log multiple error codes without the engine check light on .The old days are over ,people in the industry keep going back to learn how to repaire this late model stuff and spend our hard earned on the gear to test it. If not in the know send it to the people who do,lets get real do u rewire your house cause you know how to fit a power point,go on youtube seach how to do something I don't think so .

Do the minimal to keep it safe ie as a car is concerned tyre pressures , fluid levels & a coat off wax leave the rest to some 1 who knows,its not only your life its also passengers.

tassjo
23-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Forgot to mention working in the industry we get bullitens all the time off problems and also recall notices eg fuel line rubbing on firewall or wirring rubbing on chassis.