PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude Outboard

Rhys_Mav
22-07-2013, 07:09 PM
HI guys ive got and older evinrude 30hp outboard 1992, its a great motor runs awesome just a bit of a bugger to start. I can't find the "start position" on my throttle. The outboard is faded from the sun and I can't see any indicators on the twist-grip. Just wondering if anyone can help me out as to where it is.

thanks rhys

Gon Fishun
22-07-2013, 09:51 PM
If the guys can't help you out, I will have a look in the manual tomorrow to see if it has any info. Its in the shed, and I ain't going out there in the cold.

Rhys_Mav
22-07-2013, 10:29 PM
If the guys can't help you out, I will have a look in the manual tomorrow to see if it has any info. Its in the shed, and I ain't going out there in the cold.

Haha I dont blame you mate thanks for that.

cgibbo308
22-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Take the engine cover off and follow the control mechanism. have a look at all the arm and or plates that connect to that. there maybe a marking in there with start stamped into it, that you would line up with another component or marking.

I would only be guessing tho. but thats what they did with the older engines. This allows for, i guess "timing" or setting up of the control system.

Noelm
23-07-2013, 09:42 AM
as a general rule, the 'start" position is just before the start in gear lockout comes into play (it is pull start right?) turn the throttle and watch the lockout pawl come up to prevent the cord being pulled. Start procedure should be, prime bulb until hard, pull choke right out, set throttle to start position, and pull rope, after a pull or two, it will "splutter", in with the choke, one more pull and away you go.

Gon Fishun
23-07-2013, 04:21 PM
AS Noelm said. Also look under the cowl for a neutral safety switch. If there is one, it will probably need adjusting.

Spaniard_King
23-07-2013, 09:10 PM
as a general rule, the 'start" position is just before the start in gear lockout comes into play (it is pull start right?) turn the throttle and watch the lockout pawl come up to prevent the cord being pulled. Start procedure should be, prime bulb until hard, pull choke right out, set throttle to start position, and pull rope, after a pull or two, it will "splutter", in with the choke, one more pull and away you go.

Pretty sure this model has the pump primer and not a choke lever, the primer pump should be activated 2-3 times and left extended until engine is running.

This engine is also a UFI model:o:o:o

Gon Fishun
23-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Pretty sure this model has the pump primer and not a choke lever, the primer pump should be activated 2-3 times and left extended until engine is running.

This engine is also a UFI model:o:o:o

UFI ? unidentified fish interceptor?

Rhys_Mav
23-07-2013, 10:30 PM
yeah mate it does have a primer and is an ufi model. why is that a problem?

Muddy Toes
23-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Sorry to break it to you but that's probably the worse case scenario we were all secretly hoping it wasn't.

A primer/UFI model.........I'll let Spaniard King explain it to you as he first brought it up but a primer/UFI Evinrude with a throttle position issue is just about as bad as it gets.

thelump
24-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Sorry to break it to you but that's probably the worse case scenario we were all secretly hoping it wasn't.

A primer/UFI model.........I'll let Spaniard King explain it to you as he first brought it up but a primer/UFI Evinrude with a throttle position issue is just about as bad as it gets.

Yep. Straight to the Yamaha shop you go!

Spaniard_King
24-07-2013, 11:01 AM
UFI, IS under flywheel ignition.

Just read the posts above once again you will soon see who has no idea :)

UFI came out from 1990-1992-3 Johnson soon realised they had made a mistake and went back to the old ignition system (black box for the uneducated). These were known for ignition system problems.