PDA

View Full Version : what is a better boat, v17L or the v17c

jesse123
21-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Hey guys looking to buy a boat for off shore fishing and reef, I have only been looking on the net as I am working away and I keep goin back to the Haines v17l and c. Which one of these would have the most room, as in the deck for when fishing, and having people aboard for long periods. I know the c has a bigger cab, but as far as that if got no idea. Thanks

Is any sellers out their that are selling around qld (Sunshinecoast) price range is. Roughly the $8500 to $9000 mark and I am looking for 17 to 20 foot half cab..

Cheers guys

JB sniper
22-07-2013, 07:02 AM
I'd go the v17l mate the 17r will give you more room again but not a lot of storage. Great riding boats for the size. You will loose to much space with the 17c IMO

ozynorts
22-07-2013, 07:06 AM
From what I have read and seen the 17L has more room in the cockpit than the C.

Jarrah Jack
22-07-2013, 08:54 AM
The L is the compromise between the R and the C. Trouble is that the L holds their value better so you would expect to pay more unless you're very lucky. Make sure there's no rot in the hull of any glass boat you get or your budget will take a big hit.

Inspect a few and see what you think of the size.

Shark Poker
22-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Which one of these would have the most room, as in the deck for when fishing, and having people aboard for long periods. I know the c has a bigger cab, but as far as that if got no idea.

Hi Jesse,
I had a 17C for several years.
Their cabin will sleep two x six foot plus blokes.
Plus the cab is high enough to sit on the bunks while waiting out bad weather.
And you can get thru to the front hatch and then out to the front deck easily.
Did many overnight and some 2 or 3 night trips.

Ride and seaworthiness is no compromise. But seriously they are a rather tender craft while drifting in the ocean.
First to get out there, but first to go back, I used to say.

The 17L is and has always been the more popular.
But if I was buying one I would go for the 17C for sure.
Pauly

jesse123
22-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Yer its a hard one, the L seems to look a lot nicer especially if u put some nice gear on it, mate of a mate has got this L for sale, just abit worried about the engine as it is in the 90,s, but the rest seems legit, might just have to from some cash at a marine surveyor to do a look over

http://m.gumtree.com.au/v17l-haines-hunter-or-swap-swaps/v?adId=1023190999#v17

He also has a c he is selling as well but he wants $11500 for as he put a 115hp 2004 4stoke on it.

Cheers for the replys aswell.... :-D

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Daintreediver
22-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Hey mate in the speafishing world these hulls are hugely popular most including myself use the v17r. Some guys spend big bucks doing up their old 17 hulls to make them even stronger than the original. The reason they are used by spearos is that in general spearos like to drive them fast and hard and this hull is designed for that in rough conditions as it is a very narrow boat with a very steep dead rise all the way thru. They rock at rest which is not important to us as we get in the water. If you want a boat to go fast through the rough you won't find a much better 17ft boat. I have a 115 4 stroke on mine some of the boys have up to 200 hp on the back of these boats.

deckie
22-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Yeah a lot of the 80's glass rigs are a bit more tender at rest, but its not much of a big deal really...guys that have been boating for a long time dont expect a 5m rig to be a plank. Everthing started getting fatter thru the boring 90's, boats included. Some of those 5m tinnies now are beamy as hell and stable, but then u get a teeth rattling ride when it isnt dead calm. These are classic glass hulls that just work.
I'd always sacrifice a bit of stability at rest for the ride...in a heartbeat.
Cuddy's always my favorites, but for these i'd prefer the 17C for the cabin and storage...not much sacrifice of anything to have that advantage. I reckon the 17L became a bit of a classic partly coz it has that same good all rounder hull but mainly coz the upper moulding gave that model great lines...looks sweet, looks kinda fast, nice freeboard..just looks like a cool fishin rig. Same for the 565L...looks great, but in reality not really any advantage (and plenty reckon a disadvantage) over having the cabin.

bay cruiser
22-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Moreton yesterday. Sweet ride over and back!

The V17L definetly looks better.

Haji-Baba
22-07-2013, 09:26 PM
The 17 C. Haines was first produced about 1970 ish.
I believe there were two different 17 c. Haines built about that time, one with slightly more beam than the other.

The 17 l. is a later version of one of these ????? hulls.

Maybe someone out there can verify this.

Early 70' Haines Models were 163 c. 15 foot 3 inches down the centre,
17 c. and later the 16 c. 16 foot down the centre.

All were, and still are excellent hulls in the rough stuff but did roll about a bit if stationary.

The 19 c. came out a little later and the Sea-Meter was a copy of the 19 c. but a little wider.
I don't think it was built by The Haines Bros.

The original boat that the early Haines were modelled off was a 19 r. Bertram
brought back from the States after an earlier America's Cup Race.
The old 19 "Bertram", copies of which are still around was an excellent sea boat, heavy and damm near bullet proof. From memory they had a full length 4 inch reverse chine all the way to the transome.

Other Aus Fish members may may be able to shed more accurate light on this subject.

Over to all you older "historians."

Have fun Haji-Baba

Haji-Baba
22-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Jesse 1213.

If I had the option I would go for the 17 c. even though I love the look of the 17 l.

At the moment I have a 445 c. Haines, yes it is small, but my wife and I can handle it at the ramp. More importantly, it fits in a 20 x 20 shed and is well secured.
I can easily push it into the shed by hand and it goes very well with a 60 4 stroke Yamaha.
We don't venture out much beyond the Northern parts of the Bay now and it is a great fishing platform. Very steady at rest and quite beamy.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Vitamin Sea
23-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Nice looking "L" you have there BC, is the Opti a 115?

Cheers

VS

bay cruiser
23-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Vitamin Sea the Opti is 115hp which is a perfect fit. Fuel economy between 2.2 to 2.7 klm per litre depending on your revs and trim. Top speed around 70 klm / 38 kn (18" Vengeance prop). I had a 2012 Yamaha F115 4 stroke for a brief period before the Opti which was so nice. Very even power, smooth and quite. Unfortunately I returned the motor after discovering it was an insurance write-off from being submerged. Thankfully, I got all my money back. The Opti is great but sounds like a tractor compared to the F115, and you have to feed it very expensive DFI oil.