PDA

View Full Version : This sunday

Seahorse
19-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Hopfully the weather holds for Sunday. Going to head back to the Rous to chase some more whiting.
A mate of mine bagged out there today with monster whiting.

macka12
19-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Hey Seahorse, any tips on whiting? I see a fair few people use squid strips - what type of hooks to use and do you use running sinkers and drift or anchor up? Keen to try chase some whiting but only ever used yabbies and been unsuccessful down at the pin etc. Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Seahorse
19-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Hey macka.
I only ever use sqid strips for winter whiting. I usually have them about size of 2 match sticks together. Just hook through bottom of bait, let it dangle.
I only use a patanoster rig with a tear drop sinker, big enough to sit on the bottom.Many times u can get a double hook up. I use true turn hooks only in either size 4 or 6. I find that the true turn hooks are the best, i very rarely ever get a whiting that swallows the hook. With normal hooks i found this happened a lot more and its a pain in the neck.
I got 50 last week and only had 1 fish swallow the hook.

Hope this helps. May see u out at the Rous on sunday, wrather permitting.

Cheets
Greg

macka12
19-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Thanks heaps for that, am going to try and get out next week sometime. What sort of gear do you run e.g. line, rod, leader etc? Ive got a luvias 2000 with 6 or 8lb main line on a 7" odd 2-5lb rod will that suit with 10lb kind of leader or go lighter? Thats my flathead rod for the pin but have got smaller bass rods or heavier bay stuff but as I said pretty new to whiting. My usual trip near the rous is harrys for snapper so havent tried whiting yet but really keen. Cheers!

Seahorse
19-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Macka

I take couple rods. Noting special. 7 ft, 2000 diawa and 2000 shimano. I run 6 lb mono with 10 lb leader. I like the bit stronger leader. I think some guys go lighter, but doesnt really matter.

The whiting lately have to be played a bit. I always leave the spool open and just kep feeding out a little line. I find u get more bites that way. Keep drifting.

Where we fish is only few minutes south east of Harrys.

Good luck next week

macka12
19-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks mate, will give it a try. Think I've got a few days off next week so might spend one trying it out if I can find some good spots.

Appreciate your advice it's always good hearing ideas from people that know what they're doing!

Good luck if you get out Sunday.

Cheers,

Dan

kingcray
19-07-2013, 10:26 PM
good luck greg. weather looking ok from mid morning. I will be back looking for another feed of tailor.

Seahorse
20-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Hope u get a good feed dean . There has been few reports about tailor in the pine.

Cheers

robsue
20-07-2013, 11:24 AM
hi Greg
I took soleman {Ray} out there last Monday, pick up a few lose them find them etc etc, we ended up with about 60

got the grandkids overnight, hope to get out there about midday, and also Monday if forecast stays the same

im now using the n0 6 truturn hooks as well

cheers
Robsue

Seahorse
20-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Well , hopefully we will be coming home by then. Rob may pass u . Lol

A mate and his mate bagged out yesterday. All 28-32cm .

Cheers
Greg

Shark Poker
20-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Well if it is any consolation, the weather here was crap yesterday morning, but later I went out from Manly,
and it was flat as glass all arvo.
Pauly

robsue
20-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Pauly...hope its the same sunday arvo....did you go to rouse area?

Shark Poker
20-07-2013, 02:16 PM
No I was around the outer Brisbane River.
Good luck tomorrow!

Seahorse
20-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Yes certainly hope the weather plays the game.