PDA

View Full Version : Advise on electric motor please

rotachoc
18-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Hi all,
I'm contemplating an Minn Kota Riptide ST with i-Pilot to put onto my Quintrex 475 Coastrunner.
Basically I want to use it as an electric anchor when I'm snapper fishing and to troll when trout fishing at Jinndy.
Will it hold position in open water???
What other options are their???
Would I need 12V or 24V???
How much thrust, 55 or 80 for nearly a 5 meter boat??

Thanks rotachoc::)

RayLamp
18-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Ive got a 455 coast runner and I use a 54lb iPilot mounted on the bow. It's 12 volts. I think the 80lb is a 24 volt motor.

I often use it as an anchor and I find it pretty good. The boat might move around a 2 metre circumference but it never strays outside that.

I can then use it to do as you say, troll around, move, run with the drift when throwing lures. And with the IPilot, you can record a track and just get the motor to constantly follow and repeat that track.

I love it!

rotachoc
19-07-2013, 09:49 AM
"Ive got a 455 coast runner and I use a 54lb iPilot mounted on the bow".

RayLamp How do you mount it on the bow with the hand rail there????

myusernam
19-07-2013, 10:30 AM
dont go 24. 12 is enough for that size boat (55lb)
if u plan on heavy use or demanding conditions just upsize battery

Apollo
19-07-2013, 10:38 AM
The answer to your question is related to the conditions you intend to use it. If the current isn't fast and the wind is calmish, then the 55 would be OK, but if not, go the extra grunt. Also consider the shaft length to match your boat. I run a 54lb on my 4m boat and an 80 on the bigger boat (5.5-6m). IPilot = good bit of kit.

myusernam
19-07-2013, 11:40 AM
my mate has a 55lb on a 5.5m galeforece (bowmount) goes fine

RayLamp
19-07-2013, 03:03 PM
"Ive got a 455 coast runner and I use a 54lb iPilot mounted on the bow".

RayLamp How do you mount it on the bow with the hand rail there????

Check out my photos. Link is under my avatar.

Its a dodgy mount I made myself using the minn kota quick release bracket and some dodginess from bunnings... it works!

Seahuff
19-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Hey Apollo,
I want to put an electric (80lb Minn kota I pilot) on around 5.8 to 6.0m plate centre console/walkaround and just wanted to know how it performs on your boat?
Is it asking too much on a platey that size?

NAGG
20-07-2013, 07:26 AM
If you can afford an 80lb (24 volt) go for it ........ The 55lb is fine for holding your boat on spot lock (but in windy conditions or strong tidal flow you will struggle) - It will be fine for trout trolling ....... As was mentioned previously though fit the biggest battery you can .
I had a 24volt 74lb on my 480 Hornet & it was perfect - I then changed to a 55lb & it did the job but only when I fitted a 200amp AGM .
I now have a 55lb on my 5M seajay but it is also matched to a 200amp battery...... It's only effective because I can run it flat out & not be worried about flattening the battery in a couple hours.

Chris

Apollo
20-07-2013, 07:40 AM
Hey Apollo,
I want to put an electric (80lb Minn kota I pilot) on around 5.8 to 6.0m plate centre console/walkaround and just wanted to know how it performs on your boat?

I have my 80lb MK Ipilot on my 6m glass centre console and it handles it well, so I can't see why it wouldn't on yours. Just make sure you get the appropriate shaft length to suit your boat. Windage/current are usually the biggest issue, so if you are expecting lots of both and you have significant superstructure on your boat, you may want to go up a size.

Dantren
20-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Hey Apollo,
Some info which may help - the bow mounts don't work if the chop/swell is making the prop come out of the water. I use a 60" on a 5.2 centre console. Let me know if you want some measurements for comparison.

Seahuff
20-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Dantren
The boat I am looking at: distance from bow to waterline is 1050mm.
Do they measure the 60'' as shaft only, not including the propeller hub and unit head, suppose you have to allow a bit for the height of mounting bracket as well
Far as I could see 60'' and 24 v 80lb thrust is maximum size they make?