PDA

View Full Version : OVERSIZE boats in QLD.

Muddy Toes
16-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Here's the latest and greatest for the glove box guys...............

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CEsQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tmr.qld.gov.au%2F~%2Fmedia%2F busind%2FHeavyvehicles%2Fguidepermits%2Fclasspermi t394th13.pdf&ei=ginlUfrbNsiyiAeYmIHoBA&usg=AFQjCNEEOsh78J2WA3qWLwDKvnRsuSboZA&bvm=bv.48705608,d.aGc

Spaniard_King
17-07-2013, 06:06 AM
MT do you have to do all that sh!t??

sid_fishes
17-07-2013, 07:26 AM
keeps his mind active,and not his hands

Muddy Toes
17-07-2013, 07:50 AM
MT do you have to do all that sh!t??

Sure do......it's quite the pain in the ass!!!!

netmaker
17-07-2013, 08:05 AM
thanks mate;D

ric
17-07-2013, 08:39 AM
"1 A vehicle or combination transporting an oversize boat is not permitted to travel throughout
Queensland from 24 December 2012 to 02 January 2013 inclusive."

Humdinger
17-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Your gonna need a bigger glove box

FisHard
17-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Ouch! Glad I've got a skinny boat!

thelump
17-07-2013, 12:36 PM
10.3 The maximum speed limit applying to a person driving a vehicle or combination transporting an oversize boat is 90km/h outside built up areas, except where official traffic signs indicate a lower speed limit.

Best put a limiter on the Patrol mate!

lucee81
17-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Being a Nissan do they get up to 90kmh??

bugman
17-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Muddy,
Just take all the signs, lights and flags off and stop attracting attention to yourself. I know a few others doing it.

Brett

ozynorts
17-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Muddy,
Just take all the signs, lights and flags off and stop attracting attention to yourself. I know a few others doing it.

Brett

Watch out bugman, satnav will be onto you for that comment....:)

fisho64
17-07-2013, 04:51 PM
"1 A vehicle or combination transporting an oversize boat is not permitted to travel throughout
Queensland from 24 December 2012 to 02 January 2013 inclusive."
what they actually mean is to take the signs off during that period.

Luckily WA oversize rules are a little less onerous-night time travel allowed to 2.7 meters, no freeways and no travel within 30km of CBD/Freo in rush hour.

bobbyb
17-07-2013, 07:19 PM
this is going to put a dampener on most of the yank imports.

Muddy Toes
18-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Muddy,

Brett

I have thought about going down that line a couple of times now Brett and for me the risk outweighs the rewards. The thing is will insurance cover me in the unfortunate event of an accident if I don't comply? If they won't then what's the point of insuring it all......too many variables out there. I do tens of thousands of K's a year with my boat up and down the coast and there is no way I would be happy doing it uninsured.
On the flip side to this I do tow it without the signage during the holiday ban periods but that's another risk vs reward thing.......I only tow it 800m from my house to the ramp at those times anyway.
Another thing for me is that if I'm picked up by QT and they do run a tape over my boat and find it is oversized I'm not too keen on paying for a 10m tilt tray to get it towed off the side of the road, I've had to put it on a tilt tray once when it first landed as it wasn't AUS compliant and let's just say I'm not keen to ever pay the fee for a big tilt tray, carrying an oversized load again.
So, the risk of being caught? Slim. But it does happen but all the cases I've heard of have been with cats (obviously no jibe intended there).
For me personally, I've never seen another car/boat setup dressed up like my fluro/flashing/flag abomination and to be honest if I didn't use it so much it wouldn't worry me but I do too many K's a year for it not to be a concern of mine.

Scott79
18-07-2013, 01:46 AM
I say as long as the tow vehicle is fit for purpose, tow weights are not exceeded etc they should forget about the boats that are 9 or 10cm overwidth, resources would be better spent applying some restrictions on caravanners.
I don't remember ever being stuck behind a guy towing an imported boat dawdling along gazing out the window with all the time in the world, insistant on doing 70km/hr on the highway with traffic banked up behind, with their only concern being what flavour jam is going on their next scone.

Apollo
18-07-2013, 06:51 AM
After talking to the assessor who looked at my boat after it was t-boned by another driver, i would take the same stance as Muddy. He told me that he checked that the trailer had brakes, the width of the boat, the capacity of the trailer and even the that the motor wasn't oversized. All part of his normal procedures. Now I was not at fault and couldn't avoid the accident.

Tickleish
18-07-2013, 09:04 AM
I have thought about going down that line a couple of times now Brett and for me the risk outweighs the rewards. The thing is will insurance cover me in the unfortunate event of an accident if I don't comply? If they won't then what's the point of insuring it all......too many variables out there. I do tens of thousands of K's a year with my boat up and down the coast and there is no way I would be happy doing it uninsured.
On the flip side to this I do tow it without the signage during the holiday ban periods but that's another risk vs reward thing.......I only tow it 800m from my house to the ramp at those times anyway.
Another thing for me is that if I'm picked up by QT and they do run a tape over my boat and find it is oversized I'm not too keen on paying for a 10m tilt tray to get it towed off the side of the road, I've had to put it on a tilt tray once when it first landed as it wasn't AUS compliant and let's just say I'm not keen to ever pay the fee for a big tilt tray, carrying an oversized load again.
So, the risk of being caught? Slim. But it does happen but all the cases I've heard of have been with cats (obviously no jibe intended there).
For me personally, I've never seen another car/boat setup dressed up like my fluro/flashing/flag abomination and to be honest if I didn't use it so much it wouldn't worry me but I do too many K's a year for it not to be a concern of mine.

I would stick to that way of thinking Muddy as a family member works for DOT and they know all these big boats are getting around without the proper regs.

With the Import thing a fairly new scene they are giving a kind of grace period where they are only pulling up the outrageous loads.

The big crack down is coming.

fishing111
18-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Don't know where I read it now, but it went along the lines that in the event of an accident with an oversize trailer the accident would have to be directly attributable to the boat being oversized, otherwise insurance would have to honour policy. Does anybody know if there is any truth to this or was it just bullshit?

myusernam
18-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Don't know where I read it now, but it went along the lines that in the event of an accident with an oversize trailer the accident would have to be directly attributable to the boat being oversized, otherwise insurance would have to honour policy. Does anybody know if there is any truth to this or was it just bullshit?

you could waste a lot of money in court arguing the point. If the insurance company doesn't have to pay, it's blind luck if they do. If it's big bucks though (personal liability) you;ll have no chance

fisho64
18-07-2013, 04:19 PM
its a well established principal that the "oversight" must relate directly, even written straight into my RACWA PDS book now.
However its only ever as good as the lawyer you hire to push it.
Rightly or wrongly they can say "it shouldn't have been on the road"

SatNav
19-07-2013, 04:05 PM
1. I don't see any issues with this permit, it provides the capability, means and outlines the requirements to allow the towing of an oversize boat within the wording of the permit. Those they don't like the requirements may best be advised to stay off the road if they have an oversize trailer boat that fits this permit.

2. Those that flaunt this permit with the wrong attitude may be putting this special permit at risk which in due course could be revoked which would no doubt not impress the majority of users who take this permit seriously.

3. And for the doubters you should note this permit has only been renewed for the 3 months ending 30 September 2013 and not for the full 12 month term as per past renewals. You may well ask why is this so!

Boat Hog
19-07-2013, 06:10 PM
3. And for the doubters you should note this permit has only been renewed for the 3 months ending 30 September 2013 and not for the full 12 month term as per past renewals. You may well ask why is this so!

I did notice the permit expiry date was end of September.

I would ask why is this so. But whom would I ask? You! SatNav?

I'm going to be positive and believe that a better solution is on its way ... Maybe uniform national road regulations?. :)

Cheers,

Boat Hog
19-07-2013, 06:14 PM
I ...... I only tow it 800m from my house to the ramp at those times anyway.

800 meters from the ramp. You miners get all the best houses! :P::)

Muddy Toes
19-07-2013, 06:21 PM
800 meters from the ramp. You miners get all the best houses! :P::)

You mine owners get all the good boats........yeah, like ALL of them.......

Vitamin Sea
21-07-2013, 04:40 PM
I say as long as the tow vehicle is fit for purpose, tow weights are not exceeded etc they should forget about the boats that are 9 or 10cm overwidth, resources would be better spent applying some restrictions on caravanners.
I don't remember ever being stuck behind a guy towing an imported boat dawdling along gazing out the window with all the time in the world, insistant on doing 70km/hr on the highway with traffic banked up behind, with their only concern being what flavour jam is going on their next scone.

Hang on there sunshine, i just bought a van!

When has an insurance company been known to overlook anything? If they can get out of paying a claim they will every time.

Your doing the right thing Mr Toes, risk outweighs benifit.

Cheers

VS

Scott79
21-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Ha! You'll be right mate, just stick to the speed limit if you don't mind. And no towing over Christmas or Easter. Or through the CBD.