PDA

View Full Version : what is ideal speed to drift over reef

Still_Dreamin
14-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Went out to Mud yesterday and was more windy than was forecast. My half cab fibreglass was acting like a sail and I was drifting 1-1.5 knots making it hard to get 1/4oz jigheads down. I was fishing 5-10m of water and decided to give the drogue a go. It slowed the drift to 0.2 - 0.5 knots. The slower speed allowed me to get lighter jig heads down but in that shallower water I think the drogue may have been scaring the fish away. Would I have been better drifting faster without drogue?
With drogue I appeared to be drifting about the same speed as the tinnies out there.

Horse
14-07-2013, 09:56 AM
I normally run a drogue in anything over 10knts. In 30' of water it will have little impact on the fish. Perhaps it will be an issue in the shallow stuff but you will be getting down a fair way with a 1/4 even in a 1.5knt drift so you may not need it. Keep the drogue line fairly short and it won't be as much of an issue.

thump-a
14-07-2013, 02:54 PM
I use a wind sock ; Picked it up from the airport here in Townsville.
Use it all the time to drift fish. I have a large canopy and it catchs the wind like a sail.
I use a float on the back of the sock which keeps it on the surface; You don't want to hook up to the reef out from here or any bottom for that matter
Just let more line out if you think your spooking the fish. The float helps when your retreaving the sock.

Cheers Graham

Lucky_Phill
14-07-2013, 03:01 PM
As slow as possible I would say.

Here is a bit of info for you, Graham.

http://109.203.107.60/~paraanau/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=117

cheers LP

Still_Dreamin
14-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks LP that is the one I have. Comes with second line with float on it for retrieval.