PDA

View Full Version : Ric's 7.5m Plate Alloy Cat Build

ric
12-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Hi All,
Its about time I post up this thread for everyone’s thoughtsand for those budding boat builders out there. I’ve decided to do this thread for 2 reasons:
1 to show you guys what I am currently building
and 2, if someone is thinking about doing something similar,hopefully I can answer some of your questions.

We have taken over 500 photos so far, so if there is a photoof something you would like to see, post up and I will do my best to please.

OK……

What we were after:
After having a trip of a lifetime towing out 18ft alloy boatfrom Brisbane to Cooktown and getting the weather opportunity to get out to theribbon reefs, we decided it was time for an upgrade. My wife and I devised a list of essentials toget us going. (actually these are herrequirements…..remember: Happy wife, happy life.)

Trailerable
Towing weight 3.5t (wet or dry)
Soft riding + stable at rest for sleeping
Hardtop with full glass surround (I hate clears, but they dohave their purpose)
Twin engines (petrol as we both don’t like the smell ofdiesel fumes when trolling)
Minimum queen size bed + second double bed for friends etc.(4 berth)
Plenty of fresh water for hot shower
Kitchen sink + stove top + dedicated galley area
5-7 day capacity for live aboard
Toilet
Basic and maintenance free as possible

So with our list in mind we set off looking about boat yardswith all options open, glass, alloy, mono and cat! I looked through the secondhand range and found something around the KC2800 a nice size, but too difficultto tow and pricey. I narrowed down mysearch to a 8m+ mono which becomes quite big for a trailer or a 7-7.5m cat tofit all our requirements in. I wanderedthrough a number of marine dealers looking at their 685’s etc. Being treated asa tyre kicker continually I had just about had enough. I then approached a number of custom alloybuilders who were excellent with their service but all ended up coming up wellabove budget. A credit to those builderswho actually listen and take their customers seriously. (All shall remain nameless)

Cutting a long story short (well shorter) we decided to getas bigger boat we can afford and slowly build up the fitout items as we go,giving us a solid reliable platform for many years to come. As fate had it, I came across a website whodesigns your boat with a naval architect and cnc cuts out the boat foryou. After a number of conversationswith John Pontifex from Plate Alloy, I put down a deposit for a 7.5m Platealuminium cat kit. Finer details wereworked out and we were on our way, patiently waiting for our 1800kg of sheet toarrive. I did my sums and figured outthe deck space was huge, we were able to fit in all we wanted and had a decentreef boat with capabilities to do our up coming trips. (cairns to the cape andback via water)

This is what I ended up with, boat specs:
7.5m hull - 8.2m LOA
Twin 150hp Four Strokes (hopefully 45knts ish)
2x 250L fuel
200l fresh water
1 queen bed + 1 fold out double bed
Kill tank, bait board, live bait tank, deckwash, hot watersystem etc
Sink/stove/galley
2x Lowrance HDS7 with Airmar thru hull trans
Foam filled with 10 air tight compartments (no bilge pumpsor bungs)
Fully sealed deck and self draining – step-up from fishingarea to galley to keep those fishy juices out of the carpet….
Hardtop with full glass surround (we will get there fatbouy!!!!)
Boat will be bogged and wrapped on the sides, and painted onthe roof area. (no paint inside)

So the second part of this thread I wanted to share my boatbuilding experiences for anyone interested, or who is thinking of taking onsuch a demon…(if you don’t care about this scroll down for pics) I have brokenit down into sections.
Where to build:

You need to build under cover out of the wind (can't weld in the wind) and you willneed a minimum:
1m clearance around thebow, 3m at transom and 2m each side. So for me it was at least 12.2m long and6.5m width. So no worries there.
Tools:
If your doing something like I have, you will want around 5-6kto get you started and be comfortable for a while. I have created a list oftools which I use everyday.

4” air grinder with 5mm blade, 4” air grinder with 1.5mmmulti cutter blade, full face shield (you need this, I have undies to provewhen a blade breaks up!) 5” grinder with sanding pad and 80 grit pads, 4”grinder with 40 grit flap discs, die grinder with open fluke bur, 6x Irwin quickgrip clamps (sizes from 300-600mm) turn buckes and shackles(pull you distortedalloy around town) permanent marker pens, vodka for the bad times, cold beerfor the good times and an 18 year old for when its done (scotch that is…..yousickos) and a camera you can leave in the shed to take photos. You will need all of this guaranteed as aminimum. Welder: I purchased the 250 amp/15amp pulse mig from Plate aAloy andit is sufficient for welding my boat. Was able to weld the 25x40mm keel bar tothe 5mm sheet.

Experience needed:
If your not good at welding it doesn’t matter. If you can’t weld at all I would definitely suggesttaking some sort of lessons or purchasing the welder 6 months in advance andhaving someone give you some tutorials. Iwas able to weld steel, but had never welded alloy. I had a friend who is a professional welderfor the past 50 years weld all the below water line/transom/fuel tanks andlearnt from him as we went. Learn fromthe pro welder and you will soon be able to pickup the quality of your own work(this is important) My background is Finance/law education + owning a civilconstruction business. It’s a bit of amix but I gained a lot of knowledge of metal works and general knowledge, soanyone can build really. Your onlylimited by your dedication.

The time frame:
Interesting topic this one. Everyone said to me it would take double the amount of time and triplethe cost. Not true. Plan well and be realistic about your skillsand you can accurately predict the timeframe of your build. I have been building for 1 year and 12 days. I am behind by about 6 weeks but ahead ofbudget! (pending trailer and glass)

You need to be dedicated and allocate time each week for thebuild, otherwise you will never get it finished. I work every night for around 2-3 hours + aminimum Saturday and every second Sunday.

Budget realistically. It will be miserable times ahead if you are always short of money and continuallycausing financial strain on your family.

Spend some time getting your consumable costs down. I was purchasing G argon from BOC for280/bottle. I switched to SupaGas whowere 115 per bottle with free delivery! (I know!) I have used about 10 bottlesgas and over 100kg of 1.2mm wire so far.(state of the ARC at Capalaba have beenamazing with service) create a good relationship with your local welding shop and tell them what you are doing. If you act like you know what you are doing, no one will give you advice!! tell them you are learning and they will help you out!!!

Compressor: you will need a good one to cool your welds andrun your air tools. I have an air dryingunit (refrigeration unit) to keep moisture out of the work area. Worthyinvestment. Otherwise you end up cooling your work area with wet air and yourair tools with have water dripping from them in no time.

Get your family involved with your build. My mrs helped with the planning, grinding,sanding and everything else. It givesthem an understanding of why you’re never home and where all the money goes eachweek.

Most importantly: be happy with your own work! I am first totell you that I am not a pro welder. Iknow there are much better looking boats out there than mine, but I know I builtmine and I know its strong. If you can’tbe happy with what you built, then don’t even bother trying to build, it willbe a miserable experience for all involved.

So now that all that reading is out the way, onto the goodbits…. the pics

Feel free to post up, all questions are relevant some way.

Thanks for reading everyone,

Ric

ric
12-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Just seeing how this uploading works.

Horse
12-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Ric, the upload didn't work for me. I can't wait to see the build

ric
12-07-2013, 09:29 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=3600&d=1373628405

sorry, have chosen about 30 pics to upload so far, and trying to figure out how to upload so everyone can see the pics without having to click on the links. grrr

Mattya
12-07-2013, 09:42 PM
5-6 grand you say? For all the alloy jigsaw pieces of your 7.5m cat?
Well I know what my next boat will be. And I get to build it my self!
This is awesome! Can't wait to see the pics. Might see you out at the reef one day.
Good luck and happy days ahead getting it done :)

ric
12-07-2013, 09:52 PM
5-6 grand you say? For all the alloy jigsaw pieces of your 7.5m cat?
Well I know what my next boat will be. And I get to build it my self!
This is awesome! Can't wait to see the pics. Might see you out at the reef one day.
Good luck and happy days ahead getting it done :)
sorry to get you too excited....5-6k is for tools and sundries. kit cost is around 25-30k depending on what you get.

ozynorts
12-07-2013, 09:56 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=3600&d=1373628405

sorry, have chosen about 30 pics to upload so far, and trying to figure out how to upload so everyone can see the pics without having to click on the links. grrr

You need to use the go advanced button and then insert pics inline and then we can see them in your post.
Sounds like a great project mate.

ric
12-07-2013, 09:59 PM
getting the hang of this

Horse
12-07-2013, 10:01 PM
All good now

ric
12-07-2013, 10:05 PM
a few more photos

Muddy Toes
12-07-2013, 10:06 PM
sorry to get you too excited....5-6k is for tools and sundries. kit cost is around 25-30k depending on what you get.

Well that's awesome then Ric!!!!

I'll give you 25K and you can just let me know when It's built and I can pick it up.

Mattya
12-07-2013, 10:08 PM
I thought it sounded a bit cheap, still within my reach and being able to say that you put it together yourself is pretty cool.
What's your start to finish time frame? It's at a good stage now, where it's starting to take shape and you can do all the little innovative things that make it a sweet fit out later on.
Will you be building the trailer yourself also?

ric
12-07-2013, 10:12 PM
that's all I've got the energy for tonight. will upload more later on.

I'm currently waiting for the pro to welder to weld up the transom framing for me. I've added an additional framing to the 11/12th bulkhead for additional strength. will post up some pics.

got a few hours of sanding still and almost ready to fit the tanks and conduits for the wiring/plumbing. I can't start bogging the side sheets until the floor is seal welded as the seal welds will distort the side sheets still.

Mattya
12-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Reef boat? Lol. Where do you put the guns & drugs? That is going to be a sweet ride.
When you motor past a little yellow tub out at the reef and get a friendly mooning, that'll be me saying howdy...

ric
12-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Well that's awesome then Ric!!!!

I'll give you 25K and you can just let me know when It's built and I can pick it up.

come on muddy be serious!!!
I need to add 30-40%, paid in full up front.
but wait there's more........
i'll give you a number to call me on. but don't worry, that phone is never answered.
Oh no.. look what's happened, I accidentally went broke. sorry mate, maybe next time I open a company.

ric
12-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Will you be building the trailer yourself also?

Mate, I like your thinking.

Muddy Toes
12-07-2013, 10:25 PM
come on muddy be serious!!!
I need to add 30-40%, paid in full up front.
but wait there's more........
i'll give you a number to call me on. but don't worry, that phone is never answered.
Oh no.. look what's happened, I accidentally went broke. sorry mate, maybe next time I open a company.

Hope your not planning on going bankrupt.

Can I say 'bankrupt' on your thread or are we going down to the solicitors to sort it out?
Those pics look unreal mate!!! I think I'm like 99% of guys on here though,,,,,would love to do something like this,,,prob don't have the skills, room or patience but can somehow see ourselves in those pics. It's really the ultimate boys project in by the looks of it, the ultimate boys shed!!!

Andy H
12-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Yeah the shed's a cracker. Fit's a 7.5m cat AND an Isuzu truck...
Top job mate and I hope it all goes well for you.

ric
12-07-2013, 10:40 PM
thanks guys,

I was sceptical about the accuracy of the cnc cutting. But I have to admit, it has been perfect. the only gaps have been from my own error.

Pics are easier to upload than the work it shows! Its an emotional rollercoaster, some days I would love to sell it for scrap and other days when I read the saltwater reports, I get pumped up and push on.
I just thought its time I post something positive on this site. :)

Like is said, I have been going 1 year and 12 days. I started the clock on the day I started to prep the jig frame. (comes with the kit) aiming to be well and truly up and running by Christmas this year.

cobiaman
12-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Cant wait to see the finished product, looks awesome so far!

ric
12-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Cant wait to see the finished product, looks awesome so far!
its a bit further along than the pics I posted. I will get more pics up soon of the internals etc.

MrNanks
12-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Looks great mate.
My dad and mum built a 33 foot cabin cruiser when I was 12 years old and we had the best times away with mates and family.
It was an incredible effort , much like yours.

Thanks for posting the photos and story so far.
Cheers
Dave

Apollo
13-07-2013, 03:47 AM
She is a ripper Ric. Having built a yacht with my father, I have some idea of what it takes and the dogged attitude you need sometimes. Well done.

solemandownunder
13-07-2013, 04:14 AM
Awesome stuff Ric, good onya for havin' a go.

The price ranges you speak of are way out of OUR grasp, but this thread is a pleasure, in that we are seeing the birth of a new baby, built from the ground up.

Thanks for sharing the pics, makes it much easier to understand what you have been going through.

Cheers, Ray & Kerri.

Snapperscott
13-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Brave man. Keep it up!

fisho64
13-07-2013, 10:55 AM
top going mate! I have been looking at the mono hulls of their designs but they seem a little dated. The cats look to be a newer design.
One thing-no bungs? I have been involved in the commercial building of many 10-30 meters ally boats and its a rarity to have one that doesn't have a pinhole somewhere. Doesn't have to be below the waterline-rain on the deck can get in.
Point being though-no bung, how will you ever know until it gets too heavy

WalrusLike
13-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Truly awesome Ric. Thanks so much for sharing.

That is going to be heaven when it's done.... And you will know and love every inch of her.

Re bungs.... I assume you are planning on the hulls will be foam filled and therefore water can't ever be an issue? I am only a armchair amateur but I have seen over the years foam filled things where the foam has degraded a tad and is no longer a complete fill of the space, or worse has just gone away somehow.

Don't know if modern foams are different or if that just can't happen... but have you considered that type of event?

In any case your build is great to see and the rest of us just look on in envy.... but I for one would not be strong enough to plow on through the many obstacles that you must occasionally face. Wish I had your willpower. :)

Good onya mate.... great stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ranga7
13-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Good luck ric, hope it all goes well, you must be a pretty clever bloke to put something like this together, I'm hopeless at building stuff and often find myself looking at things like your boat and thinking, thats awesome how the bloody hell would u build that.

ps great idea getting the wife involved, should make the process a bit more peaceful.

ric
13-07-2013, 06:15 PM
top going mate! I have been looking at the mono hulls of their designs but they seem a little dated. The cats look to be a newer design.
One thing-no bungs? I have been involved in the commercial building of many 10-30 meters ally boats and its a rarity to have one that doesn't have a pinhole somewhere. Doesn't have to be below the waterline-rain on the deck can get in.
Point being though-no bung, how will you ever know until it gets too heavy
Hi Fisho
don't be deterred by what they have on their website. Have a chat with them.
Yeah, pins holes are well. something you just have to deal with and be diligent with your weld inspections.

ok no bungs: I will post up some more pics in a minute, but to explain why, basically between the transom frame and the rear bulkhead (where the scuppers are) is sealed off, if water were to get into that cavity, it can't travel any further. If I were to leave all bulkheads/frames 'open' I would run huge bilge pumps and then have bungs. the bungs would only service between the last frame and transom. hope that makes sense.

all the decks will be welded down apart from the cockpit area where the fuel soft patches will be bolted down for access. if water were to leak in, I am able to inspect these areas and rectify the leak. otherwise with the 10 sealed compartments, I would need 10 bulge pumps etc etc.

ric
13-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Re bungs.... I assume you are planning on the hulls will be foam filled and therefore water can't ever be an issue? I am only a armchair amateur but I have seen over the years foam filled things where the foam has degraded a tad and is no longer a complete fill of the space, or worse has just gone away somehow.

Don't know if modern foams are different or if that just can't happen... but have you considered that type of event?

In any case your build is great to see and the rest of us just look on in envy.... but I for one would not be strong enough to plow on through the many obstacles that you must occasionally face. Wish I had your willpower. :)

walrus, I purchased the foam from the plate alloy company which is survey approved buoyancy sheets. I won't be pouring in foam .fuel/oils doesn't worry it.
the sheets of foam will be cut to fit the cavities.
so I guess if I presumed water was entering, the sheets could easily be removed and inspected.

ric
13-07-2013, 06:28 PM
well there's nothing I hate more than a thread with hardly any pics...

if you get your mrs to come and help. she might as well do the overhead sanding;D

There is nothing like spending time together with the good old ear plugs in. you can still smile, 'but honey I can't hear you'

ric
13-07-2013, 06:41 PM
some more946239462294621946209461894619

ric
13-07-2013, 06:47 PM
and a few more

ric
13-07-2013, 07:00 PM
a few more specs:

rear fishing space (stepped down from helm/galley area) measures 1.8 long and 2.3m wide

galley/helm area (step up from fishing area) 2.1m long and 2.3m wide

Cabin - the actual bed2.1m long and 1.6 wide, the space beside the bed is 1.5m long and roughly 600mm wide(toilet will be in this space too) the only catch with the sleeping area is I don't have full head room to stand up. if I were to lower to the floor for full head room, then I would lose a lot of the floor space (because of the shape of the sponson) I guess you can't have your cake and eat it to now can we?

Roof height in cockpit area is 1.95m to the lowest point (grab rail)

5mm bottoms, the rest is basically 4mm with a few bits and pieces out of 3mm.

Now I not being negative towards mono hulls because every boat has is pos/neg but you just can't get that sort of space unless you go really big in a mono, and that was the main issue why I went for a cat.

Some that have seen pics (not ausfish) of the build have mentioned that the fishing space is a little small for the size of the boat. I do agree that the space isn't 'massive' for the size of the boat but I am not a charter boat and generally only fish my wife and I, and secondly, we wanted a much larger cabin and cockpit space for all other bits and pieces.

rocklobster
13-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Good on you Ric ,you have done very well

WalrusLike
13-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Bloody beautiful. That top looks like the kids could happily jump off the roof.

Dunno if you got kids or nephews or grand kids but at some stage a jump from the roof looks possible. :)

Thanks again for showing us all. When your missus is done there can she come and buff mine?

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Aussie123
13-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Awesome job Ric.
That is one hell of a project to take on.
What have you got arranged for the fit out gear wise as you are going to need a lot of equipment.

Spaniard_King
14-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Ric,

Is there provisions for the engine control cables to flow with as little bends as possible to the engines from front to back? Any extra or sharp bend will add friction to the cable movement. Just something that a lot of boat builders don't cater for?

Also water seperator mountings?

Great build and thread by the way :)

Still_Dreamin
14-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Awesome thread ric. I agree posts need pics and you certainly have lots of pics! Can't wait for the next installment

MEGA'bite
14-07-2013, 08:57 AM
well done Ric whats she going to be called, a lot of plessure and pain in that build , I am sure you can come up with something

ric
14-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Ric,

Is there provisions for the engine control cables to flow with as little bends as possible to the engines from front to back? Any extra or sharp bend will add friction to the cable movement. Just something that a lot of boat builders don't cater for?

Also water seperator mountings?

Great build and thread by the way :)

I want to run both sets of cables up the strb gunnel side under the upper guwale coaming. I originally had a grand pland to run everything under the decks, but servicing or problem solving issues would be a nightmare!

Fuel water filters are run on the aft side of the rear bulkhead, they will have a little 'roof' over their heads so they never see direct sunlight.

Quick question for you, since you install engines every day, wil i have any shifting issues because the cable are going to be about 1.2 ish meters different in size?

ric
14-07-2013, 09:21 AM
well done Ric whats she going to be called, a lot of plessure and pain in that build , I am sure you can come up with something

Funny question mega, as i always wanted to call it 'Wet Puss' but something in the back of my mind found it inappropriate.

She is going to be called 'Stress Less'

Ric

ric
14-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Awesome job Ric.
That is one hell of a project to take on.
What have you got arranged for the fit out gear wise as you are going to need a lot of equipment.

Im starting with the essentials and will build it up over time. I have a nice pair of fibre glass eskies that will be built it for keeping all things cool - i dont plan on having electric fridges. Keeps my electrical and charging system alot simpler. All lighting is LED.
Will run a gas stove and hot water system, anchor winch and a pair of hds 7's for the initial fitout.
I know its nothing too fancy, but the whole goal was to keep it sinple and as low maintenance as possible. Otherwise all that cleaning for a day trip, it just doesnt become worthwhile. :(
Things like radar and auto pilot will come at a much later date. The old boat has a firm grip on my teat, and is getting every last drop of money and energy!
There will be a fair few sq m of headliner and marine carpet going in too which is a big task.

The entire cabin area for sleeping will be lined with carpet and be foam filled. She will be overly noisy as rest for sleeping i will assume!

Does anyone have any suggestions to keep the noise down?

mutineer
14-07-2013, 09:48 AM
A bloke in our club has a 2800 kevlacat , when I went for my first run in it I said the bum sits low , after a trip months later we got curious and pulled the little grub screw bungs out , it drained for a couple hrs with a guess of close to 1000 litres between both sides .. fresh water ,was only 18 months old .
Awesome build lots of hard yakka good stuff

Schulzy
14-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Nice work mate it's a big job to take on something I look forward to in the future. I intend to make a 7 to 8m mono hull but I plan to cut everything by hand to save on costs

fisho64
14-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Hi Fisho
don't be deterred by what they have on their website. Have a chat with them.

yeah I did, the fee was $3000 to modify a design unfortunately (not including any material differences), so am looking either Adam Schwetz or one of the other WA designers instead

ric
14-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Transom pics.

The first one shows the extra bracing frame added forward of the rear bulkhead. it just helps to spread the load of the engine over a larger distance of the hull

Second pic is of the transom ready for welding, I have a some flat bar tacked onto the framing to help keep it from distorting.

Third pic shows some of the turn buck work required to get those frames up nice and snug against each other. especially with the transom, as soon as you have gaps, you start to compromise the weld strength.

ric
14-07-2013, 06:55 PM
For some reason I posted double pics of everything last night? these were the others I was going to post up.

ric
14-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Today I finished off orbital sanding the edge to edge welds on the cabin, gunwales and roof line.
The good thing about building a boat and having it at this point is if you don't feel like welding for the day, there are always lots of other things to do!

Spaniard_King
15-07-2013, 06:55 AM
I want to run both sets of cables up the strb gunnel side under the upper guwale coaming. I originally had a grand pland to run everything under the decks, but servicing or problem solving issues would be a nightmare!

Fuel water filters are run on the aft side of the rear bulkhead, they will have a little 'roof' over their heads so they never see direct sunlight.

Quick question for you, since you install engines every day, wil i have any shifting issues because the cable are going to be about 1.2 ish meters different in size?

No Ric you shouldn't have any issues with shifting as long as you use premium cables

mojoe1
15-07-2013, 09:42 PM
ric all i can say is love ya work. More pics please.

caravellerob
16-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Awesome project Ric, be good to see the finished product, looks the goods so far.

CruiserV8100
19-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Anymore updates on this build?

macmac
21-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Me too. Looking forward for the progress of ship building.

ric
28-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Me too. Looking forward for the progress of ship building.
Yep a fair bit has been happening, pushing about 25 hrs per week on this project over the last 2 months.
Both fuel tanks are in, the fishing area is all seal welded and underfloor compartments completed.
Completed the seal welding for the galley/helm area.
Transom area all finished,

Have started to finalise the underfloor conduits and have put in some of the main wiring loom prior to sealing up some of the last bits of flooring.
All flotation foam is in.
Plumbing for the 200l fresh w is done

Welding on the final handles(thanks fatbouy - you did a nice job on those) and roof rod holders. + the galley and seating area this weekend.
Still need to do mounting plates for the anchor winch, then all hot work is complete!

Picked up engines a couple of weeks ago.

The month of October will be for painting and finishing duties and then in the water November!

I will post up some pics this weekend.

ohh almost forgot to mention- i don't have a f---ing trailer!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Ric

solemandownunder
28-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Yep a fair bit has been happening, pushing about 25 hrs per week on this project over the last 2 months.
Both fuel tanks are in, the fishing area is all seal welded and underfloor compartments completed.
Completed the seal welding for the galley/helm area.
Transom area all finished,

Have started to finalise the underfloor conduits and have put in some of the main wiring loom prior to sealing up some of the last bits of flooring.
All flotation foam is in.
Plumbing for the 200l fresh w is done

Welding on the final handles(thanks fatbouy - you did a nice job on those) and roof rod holders. + the galley and seating area this weekend.
Still need to do mounting plates for the anchor winch, then all hot work is complete!

Picked up engines a couple of weeks ago.

The month of October will be for painting and finishing duties and then in the water November!

I will post up some pics this weekend.

ohh almost forgot to mention- i don't have a f---ing trailer!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Ric

Not surprised M8 after all that has happened.8-)

Talk soon, Ray.

FisHard
28-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Did the thread about the trailer get removed?? Curious to know what has happened??

Shark Poker
29-09-2013, 11:53 AM

Here are a couple of photos the Roof Hatch which we finished for Ric during this week.
Next week we are back on to making the frames for the sliding windows.
Pauly

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/misc/pencil.png

cobiaman
29-09-2013, 12:00 PM

Here are a couple of photos the Roof Hatch which we finished for Ric during this week.
Pauly

Do you build trailers as well pauly?

Shark Poker
29-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Hi Cobiaman,
No because I can only afford a 3 Metre tape measure.

ric
29-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Pauly

Top work there mate.

ric
29-09-2013, 06:11 PM
got a pair of these to push her along nicely!
Brisbane Marine supplied the goodies and even delivered to my door!
Troy, you ard your boys up there have a VERY clean workshop, no wonder you are so busy!

ric
29-09-2013, 06:19 PM
last pic of transom before foam went in. both sides are completely foam filled except for a little area to get the lower engine bolts through.

ric
29-09-2013, 06:21 PM
transom and duck board complete

ric
29-09-2013, 06:23 PM
2x 270L tanks with inspection holes.

ric
29-09-2013, 06:26 PM
welding in the framing for the underfloor battery compartment and killtank/storage.
the inspection hatch (white) gives me access to the airmar transducer

ric
29-09-2013, 06:28 PM
airmar thru hull transducer installed. I wanted to throw a set of castor wheels on the boat and sound around the shed for a test ;D

ric
29-09-2013, 06:31 PM
sealed up the rear deck space.

ric
29-09-2013, 06:34 PM
I spent the time making sure to get the flotation in as tight as possible - less room for a salty death. cutting and fitting the foam took a lot longer than I thought.

I used an offcut and placed it in a bucket with some old engine oil and petrol. Solvents did not effect the foam - as expected. it sat in the bucket for a week.

ric
29-09-2013, 06:38 PM
helm/galley area being seal welded.

conduits all in for cross over under deck + transducer cable, power, fresh water and the wiring for the pumps (deckwash and bait tank) all in conduits. spare rope in to incase I wish to add something later on.

ric
29-09-2013, 06:43 PM
onto the good bits now!!

Dummy fitting around the helm seat and bench seat (on port side).
Galley all tacked in place.
The pics show the 125L fibre glass esky, and the one under the helm seat is a 65l fibre glass.

Over the top of the 125l is a bench seat. the backing of the seat will come down to form a double bed. In total we can sleep 4 in comfort.

ric
29-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Last bit of todays work. Fitted the final 4 handles to the roof, plus the roof rod holders.

I ended up mounting the rod holders on the side of the roofline as I intend to carry kayaks, crab pots etc on the roof. If I put the rod holders at the back of the roofline, it would of made it hard as the kayak will overhang the both ends of the roofline.

ric
29-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Hope you all enjoy the pics.
Plans for the next month are as follows:

1. Finish the anchor well ready for the winch.
2. Prep final bits for internal sand blast.
3. then onto the absolute pleasure......bogging and fairing the sides. there's about 2 bloody acres to do!

thanks everyone,

Ric

ric
08-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Basically all welding is complete apart from the bow rail now.

Plan is, 180 grit orbital sand the sides, then bog, then etch prime, then paint primer then paint? Sound about right?

The unpainted bits will be very lightly sandblasted.

Pimp A Shrimp
08-10-2013, 12:57 PM
airmar thru hull transducer installed. I wanted to throw a set of castor wheels on the boat and sound around the shed for a test ;D

Ric - How do you manage / locate a thru hull transdcuer into one of the hulls when driving on / off your boat trailer? Concerns over damaging the unit.

Thanks Andrew

battleon
08-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Plans for the next month are as follows:

1. Finish the anchor well ready for the winch.
2. Prep final bits for internal sand blast.
3. then onto the absolute pleasure......bogging and fairing the sides. there's about 2 bloody acres to do!

thanks everyone,

Ric

Loving following the build and the pics Ric. Great effort.

ric
09-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Ric - How do you manage / locate a thru hull transdcuer into one of the hulls when driving on / off your boat trailer? Concerns over damaging the unit.

Thanks Andrew

i will be cutting down the bunk from the transducer to the back of the trailer. I'm planning on not having the bunk touch the transducer at all.

rexaway123
09-10-2013, 03:21 PM
I have my transducer mounted in the hull on port side of my NoosaCat....sits on outside curve up of the bottom of the hull so it does not/cannot touch the skid bunks that I sit on when driving up onto trailer
I can post a pic if u want

rexaway123
10-10-2013, 06:58 AM
like this...there is no issues hitting trailer skids with the in hull transducer mounted in port hull of Cat. kind of impossible when u driving on really.
this is a B164 unit where u can get the options of tilt angle of the unit contained inside so that it shoots straight down back to vertical depending on how steep the angle bottom of your sponsoon is

Back In Black
10-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Rexaway, that is the one thing I am kicking myself for, not getting a through hull transducer while building the Sailfish. I didn't know anything about them at the time.

Easy enough to retrofit??

Tony

Pimp A Shrimp
10-10-2013, 11:15 AM
i will be cutting down the bunk from the transducer to the back of the trailer. I'm planning on not having the bunk touch the transducer at all.

Righto. Thanks Ric

Pimp A Shrimp
10-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Rexaway, that is the one thing I am kicking myself for, not getting a through hull transducer while building the Sailfish. I didn't know anything about them at the time.

Easy enough to retrofit??

Tony

Rexaway - also interested in this. Same situation as B-I-B, i'm looking at retrofitting. Anyone know what the max tilt angle can be? Prob different from model to model! As you can see on the back on my boat the sponson rises sharply from the flat square bottom before it comes in contact with the outside edge of the hull. I currently run a transom mounted transducer, and not happy with the returns at anything more than trolling speed!

rexaway123
10-10-2013, 12:26 PM
The 1kw airmar B164 tranny I have comes in 0 ,12 or 20 degree option to suit your sponsoon angle depending on boat type so it can shoot straight down when mounted on angle

U can see in pic the inspection port in back corner floor in front of bait tank to be able to get to it if anything ever goes wrong.
So in theory easy to retrot fit the actual unit....drill a port hole for a stainless hatch and you can reach down thru to void to JUST get to the hull bottom (in the big cats its a long way down) ... then drill thru and fit again...
issue comes with the wiring then back up to helm... u need to think about where the conduit runs in your boat and can u get into that conduit since floor sealed now u can run it up.
I have water tight sealed bulk head chambers every 2 foot or so... u can see from build pic before floor went down and could not run cable under floor if I was retro fitting.... I have sealed conduit runs up both Port and starboard sides

Pimp A Shrimp
11-10-2013, 09:06 AM
The 1kw airmar B164 tranny I have comes in 0 ,12 or 20 degree option to suit your sponsoon angle depending on boat type so it can shoot straight down when mounted on angle

U can see in pic the inspection port in back corner floor in front of bait tank to be able to get to it if anything ever goes wrong.
So in theory easy to retrot fit the actual unit....drill a port hole for a stainless hatch and you can reach down thru to void to JUST get to the hull bottom (in the big cats its a long way down) ... then drill thru and fit again...
issue comes with the wiring then back up to helm... u need to think about where the conduit runs in your boat and can u get into that conduit since floor sealed now u can run it up.
I have water tight sealed bulk head chambers every 2 foot or so... u can see from build pic before floor went down and could not run cable under floor if I was retro fitting.... I have sealed conduit runs up both Port and starboard sides

Thanks Rex

Sorry to highjack your thread Ric.

ric
17-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Orbital sanding.....

ric
17-10-2013, 09:36 AM
I now understand why most factory built plate boats don't fully weld there framing!!! Its strong, but its going to take some effort to get a nice finish

ric
17-10-2013, 09:41 AM
The quality of finish for the paint work will be determined by my patience and enjoyment of sanding.......

CruiserV8100
17-10-2013, 06:17 PM
You've gone this far and put so much dedication into a great boat you might as well finish it off with a nice smooth lick of paint.

ric
13-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Port side fairing is nearly completed. (pics are a few days old)

ric
13-11-2013, 09:51 PM
nearly forgot to add the bow rail..
thanks to Paul for bending them up straight away too.

I am not usually a fan of big bow rails, but dam they are practical, this one sits mid thigh height so we can easily move around the bow area and always have somewhere to hold onto.

ric
13-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Pre-fitting the window frames before glass is done. Frames will be black annodised and the glass is 6mm toughened and smoked.

Fat bouy (sailfish marine windows) is doing all the sliding windows and has also sorted out the toughened glass for the windscreen too!

billpatt
15-11-2013, 07:25 AM
What a great project, have just read the thread from start to finish, and really appreciate the effort you have gone through to document the process. She is going to be a sweet ride when completed, just make sure you don't skimp on the champaign when she is christened :).

What was your main decision behind chosing the plate boat, over getting an older fibreglass boat and doing it up?

You will probably get more frustrated from here on in I guess, as you will be relying on other people more and more to finish the project.

Can't wait to see some more photos and then the finished product.

ric
15-11-2013, 06:24 PM
What was your main decision behind chosing the plate boat, over getting an older fibreglass boat and doing it up?

You will probably get more frustrated from here on in I guess, as you will be relying on other people more and more to finish the project.
thanks for your nice comments,

I just happen to be in a unique position where i have the time and money to complete the build. Excuses breed laziness, i know what i wanted and found a way to get it within a reasonable budget.

Alloy vs second hand fibreglass? I measured the boat today to make sure for the spray booth and i am at 8.3m LOA, i would dred to think what that would weight in glass. 4-4.5t depending on fitout.
Main items which made me go alloy were weight, space (alloy boats are always much bigger inside than glass for some reason) and its hardiness around beaches/trailers/ramps.

Out of all the people i have dealt with for the build, only one has left a foul taste in my mouth, the rest of them i will happily list at the end of the build - including items they supplied and the service they gave me.

hope this answers your q's
Ric

Jarrah Jack
15-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Out of all the people i have dealt with for the build, only one has left a foul taste in my mouth,

Ric

Best not to try and eat people you're dealing with....

ric
19-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Side window cutout

ric
19-11-2013, 09:29 PM
doing all final sanding prep for paint. tidying up some welds and making things look friendly.

ric
19-11-2013, 09:31 PM
bow area all sanded and windscreen frames all sanded down.

ric
19-11-2013, 09:40 PM

Boat will be moved on Sunday from the shed to the painter. I have created up a 'sh!t list' of items i have been putting off doing, but now they all need to be done before Sunday!

If all goes to plan I am hoping to video us lifting the boat onto the plant trailer :o and taking it down to the painter. If you guys are interested I will edit and upload a video on here. Probably just need to cut out the language and nudity.

Might have some final photos of prep on Friday/Saturday before the run on Sunday morning to the painter.

If you see me on the road Sunday - give us a wave!

Thanks all, Ric

WalrusLike
20-11-2013, 06:23 AM
I would love to see your vid. I don't know how you could possibly find the time to do it though.

Very nice job you've done and I am in awe of your 'stick-to-it-ivness' That's a huge job and its a credit to your drive and creativity.

Regarding the nudity... if your referring to a risk of seeing your plumbers crack... please edit it out or at least wear this T-shirt ....

Chris Tucker
20-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Ric,

Just had a client steer me towards your thread. You've done a great job and should be proud of your work. It is not unusual for home builder's to do a better job than commercial ones, but it is quite unusual for them to do a great job and build the boat in a reasonable time frame.

A couple of thoughts on the work you have left to do.
1. If you have any foam left glue it to the roof in between the stiffeners before covering, it will double as a great insulator in hot weather.
2. When you fit the engines start with the cav plate about 1" above the keel line.

For those of you following from home:
The roof is designed assuming people will walk on it. It is my policy that any structure on the boat that looks like it should support your weight will.
All the structure in this boat is designed to survey. If this boat was going into survey you'd just have to add a couple of large manual bilge pumps and either a life raft or some foam under the gunwales.
Ric bought his kit through Plate Alloy Australia. Doing so not only gets you the kit but also the jig, many of the fittings and the comfort of having an experienced boat builder on the other end of the phone if you have any question. If you're considering a project like this I can't recommend their boat building courses highly enough.

For those of you who like watching builds, Pelagic Boats in Leongatha have just started on an 8m Cat for survey and will be keeping updated photos on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/phamarine.pelagicboats .

I can't wait to see the finished photos.

Chris Tucker

ric
20-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Ric,

Just had a client steer me towards your thread. You've done a great job and should be proud of your work. It is not unusual for home builder's to do a better job than commercial ones, but it is quite unusual for them to do a great job and build the boat in a reasonable time frame.

A couple of thoughts on the work you have left to do.
1. If you have any foam left glue it to the roof in between the stiffeners before covering, it will double as a great insulator in hot weather.
2. When you fit the engines start with the cav plate about 1" above the keel line.

For those of you following from home:
The roof is designed assuming people will walk on it. It is my policy that any structure on the boat that looks like it should support your weight will.
All the structure in this boat is designed to survey. If this boat was going into survey you'd just have to add a couple of large manual bilge pumps and either a life raft or some foam under the gunwales.
Ric bought his kit through Plate Alloy Australia. Doing so not only gets you the kit but also the jig, many of the fittings and the comfort of having an experienced boat builder on the other end of the phone if you have any question. If you're considering a project like this I can't recommend their boat building courses highly enough.

For those of you who like watching builds, Pelagic Boats in Leongatha have just started on an 8m Cat for survey and will be keeping updated photos on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/phamarine.pelagicboats .

I can't wait to see the finished photos.

Chris Tucker

Thanks Chris for posting up, - some may not know but he designed the boat.

Chris - There are no aspects of the design or construction phases that I would want to change, Everything fits perfectly as described. I think your designs around the 6m mono would be a real winner for someone wanting to save some money,and not a big outlay on their time.

I fitted all the foam underfloor, but the roof and cabin will be lined with a PVC foam sheeting and then marine carpet headliner. I was actually really surprised that you were able to design such a boat that was 'easy' to build not being a physical builder yourself. Quiet an accomplishment. Well done.

Ric.

Chris Tucker
21-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Thanks Chris for posting up, - some may not know but he designed the boat.

Chris - There are no aspects of the design or construction phases that I would want to change, Everything fits perfectly as described. I think your designs around the 6m mono would be a real winner for someone wanting to save some money,and not a big outlay on their time.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback.

I was actually really surprised that you were able to design such a boat that was 'easy' to build not being a physical builder yourself. Quiet an accomplishment. Well done.

A lot of that praise has to be directed to John Pontifex and his team at Plate Alloy Australia. The build methodology for your boat and the other Powercats I've done for them is based upon their proven methodology for the home builder.

ric
22-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Lifted the boat out of the shed today with no issues. pics to come and then i will get up some video action (not tonight). a couple of drinks to celebrate are currently under way...

ric
22-11-2013, 08:55 PM
bit of a clean up prior to lifting.

ric
22-11-2013, 08:58 PM
everyone has their own ways of doing things.... this is mine.;D

ric
22-11-2013, 09:01 PM
getting some height under the keel to make sure we have clearance

ric
22-11-2013, 09:06 PM
had to lower the ramps on the trailer before backing under the boat.

The arm of the excavator hit on the shed door so we had to move the boat out of the shed a few meters for clearance. (shed door is 4.6m clearance)

ric
22-11-2013, 09:09 PM
the boat sat on some wooden pegs so we can get straps under it at the other end.

it had be be aligned perfectly as the duck board sits out past the ramps when they are put up. I spent some time with a measuring tape making sure it would actually fit on this trailer properly.

ric
22-11-2013, 09:12 PM
like baby bears porridge.... just right.....:)

ric
22-11-2013, 09:17 PM
yep, favourite pic of the lot. That's the Mrs and I having a pose. 16 months and 22 days after the first move on the jig frame.

I'm not usually one to take photos but i was told there was noway i was allowed to build this without a few snaps. - So i hope you all enjoy the pics.

I will try and sneak a few pics down at the painters as we go over the next week or so.

thanks everyone, Ric

Shark Poker
22-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Congratulations, Ric
Nothing can change the fact that you have made a great achievement.
Take a minute to indulge in how well you have done!

And Good on you for thinking to take a "Happy Snap" of such a significant moment.

Chimo
22-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Ric

Great job, enjoyed the build and your pics.

You better get the trailer galvanized while the boat is being painted or the rust could be a killer:P

Cheers
Chimo

MrNanks
22-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Sensational job all round. I know that most of us on here wish that was us having the guts, time and ability to tackle a job like that.
In reality very few of us would ever because we couldn't. Seeing you get it out of the shed reminds me when my old man launched his 33 foot boat he built . He was a nervous wreck. It took him 2 years and 2 months. Great achievement. Good on Mrs Ric for everything too. I can only imagine she did lots too and put up with you having ups and downs during the build. Enjoy it. Cheers

rat_catcher
23-11-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm not usually one to take photos but i was told there was noway i was allowed to build this without a few snaps. - So i hope you all enjoy the pics.

Yes definitely enjoying the pics. Keep them coming.

STUIE63
23-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks Ric for the build she truly is amazing. I am now going to read this thread from the front again

WalrusLike
23-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Looks fantastic... nice creative solutions to the move.

Hope you get some pics of the painting.

PB
23-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Ric Congratulations to yourself and everyone involved in the build, You have done a great job in a reasonable time frame and it is a credit to you and your better half. Cant wait to see it all painted and on the water.

Good job well done.

Cheers Dan from Pelagic boats.

solemandownunder
23-11-2013, 01:32 PM
I ENVY you Ric >:(...wish I was younger M8 8-)

You are doing what SO many peeps would LOVE to do....and in the GRANDEST style.

The kudos is yours' my friend.

Cheers, Ray.

ric
04-12-2013, 10:02 PM
On goes the primer.....

ric
04-12-2013, 10:03 PM
couple more

ric
04-12-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm glad i never did painting as a profession.. the smell of it makes you sick.

ric
04-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Last two photos

WalrusLike
04-12-2013, 10:10 PM
I know its probably cheaper... but I don't really like your choice of window material.

Sure you can see through paper when its wet but how you gonna see on the dry days??

ric
04-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Plan is for the primer to be rubbed down tomorrow.

Sides get painted Friday and Cab is painted saturday. (two different colours)

Planning a Sunday move again to its final home for engines and all the goodies to go in.

We have decided not to quickly rush and put it in the water for christmas, but rather take the extra few weeks and get everything right. + i am still waiting on my next trailer.......

thanks everyone

Chris Tucker
06-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Ric, if you get a chance run the boat over a weigh bridge on your way home and let me know the results. It would be good to double check the weights and balances before you launch into the final fitout.

ric
06-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Ric, if you get a chance run the boat over a weigh bridge on your way home and let me know the results. It would be good to double check the weights and balances before you launch into the final fitout.

I'm curious too - I won't have a weight bridge to run over as i am moving it on a sunday

ric
06-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Got some colour happening today, all the cab is painted.
Early start tomorrow and the sides should be all done by about 9-10am.

For some reason when i click manage attachments, the window doesn't load up? (just wanted to put up a pic of today's effort)

cormorant
06-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Council tip or waste transfer will be open on a Sunday wouldn't it? Seen quite a few vans and boats weighed and people just drooling in the hope they can scavenge it if it gets unhitched. Thats a grey nomads special deal for ya- a free weigh station. Well not totally free we drop off a chrissy cake for their morning tea. Quite a few stations are now automated as well for account card holders

ric
07-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Cab painted yesterday

ric
07-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Sides painted this morning. Should have some proper pics tomorrow when I remove all the masking and do the lift.

thanks everyone

vinvaite
08-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Looks sensational, congrats

Chris Tucker
09-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Very nice, can't wait to see the unwrapped pictures. In the event that you didn't manage to weigh the boat in transport I'd strongly advise you to do so at home. This can be done with three 1 tonne scales. One at each hull on the transom and one on a beam between the hulls at frame 4. Once that is done we can add the weights of each component of the fitout and work out exactly how the boat will float and if you need to adjust your preferred placement of the heavier items. I recommend doing this with all vessels whether it is a home build like yours or a new vessel being developed by a boat building company and I'm suggesting it here rather than by email because I would suggest other home builders do the same regardless of the designer.

Casey Ison
24-12-2013, 12:08 PM
mate it looks the goods! cant wait to see the end result and a few pics out on the water. I would love to get the info off you to get a kit myself when I put my new shed up im thinking about going down this path! looks awesome mate. Cheers and Merry Christmas! PS ill put it some coin for a joy ride sometime to see how it rides before I go building! haha

rat_catcher
28-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Any more pics?

Deiter
27-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Ditto. Cmon Ric, keen to see where you guys are at with the big girl :-)

Damo

Volvo
27-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Plurry nice:) n wishya well..

CruiserV8100
23-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Was there a new thread started with this or just hasn't updated the final product, anybody got any info. Be nice to see the end result after all that hard work.

Still_Dreamin
24-03-2014, 07:01 AM
Rid is probably to busy fishing (or working to pay for it;)) to post any more pics.

ric
26-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Was there a new thread started with this or just hasn't updated the final product, anybody got any info. Be nice to see the end result after all that hard work.
Sorry mate. I use a different forum now. But yes it is finished and has been used.,

jmwarner
26-03-2014, 11:13 AM
What forum?

Shark Poker
26-03-2014, 01:14 PM
We can't tell you because any posts that mention it on here are immediately deleted.

myusernam
26-03-2014, 06:11 PM
can someone pm me with name of forum and ill check it out

Shark Poker
26-03-2014, 06:50 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?197668-This-Boating-Life/page4&highlight=boating+life

FisHard
26-03-2014, 08:21 PM
It's a very "Special" place. Be careful... :p

Still_Dreamin
26-03-2014, 09:05 PM
A
u
s
cr
ab

on Facebook. Good luck. Careful what you wish for.......

myusernam
27-03-2014, 08:46 PM
dont know what your guys problem is withmy post regarding other forum. you might have to spell it out to me. You said there were photos on another forum or you used another forum, and that you coulodn't post the name, so I thought I would ask what it was so I could look. thought it was pretty simple really

Spaniard_King
27-03-2014, 09:17 PM
dont know what your guys problem is withmy post regarding other forum. you might have to spell it out to me. You said there were photos on another forum or you used another forum, and that you coulodn't post the name, so I thought I would ask what it was so I could look. thought it was pretty simple really

Bit like asking someone to commit hurry curry

Horse
27-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Myusernam, why don't you tell us who disagreed with your post? This hidden like and dislike promotes the keyboard hero's who hide behind the scenes. If you don't like something then man up and say something

myusernam
28-03-2014, 06:27 AM
Myusernam, why don't you tell us who disagreed with your post? This hidden like and dislike promotes the keyboard hero's who hide behind the scenes. If you don't like something then man up and say something

twas fatbouy, ric and ratman.
it seems like i should have some sort of assumed knowledge. Ric posts and mentions he uses another forum. It sounded like the photos might be on there. would have liked to see so asked the question where, as they said they can't post link. then he dislikes for me asking the question? fatbouy is mate that supplied some windows. must be some secret squirrel regular ausfish user thing or some sort of forum ettiquite that i dont get because I am not a regular

ric
28-03-2014, 08:20 AM
twas fatbouy, ric and ratman.
it seems like i should have some sort of assumed knowledge. Ric posts and mentions he uses another forum. It sounded like the photos might be on there. would have liked to see so asked the question where, as they said they can't post link. then he dislikes for me asking the question? fatbouy is mate that supplied some windows. must be some secret squirrel regular ausfish user thing or some sort of forum ettiquite that i dont get because I am not a regular
Fatbouy didn't just supply 'some windows'. He made me 6mm toughened tinted glass sliding windows with black annodised heavy duty alloy frames with double seals, frame-less tinted port windows, heavy duty tinted hatches with annodised alloy frame double seals and twin heavy duty adjustable struts, 8mm toughened windscreen panels with ceramic band and silicone work which looks like it came out of a factory. He also supplied me with materials for my roof lining and cabin lining, various rubber seals and the transom door. All items were custom made to size and strength requirements and he exceeded the quality of workmanship that i was trying to achieve with the build. All items were supplied and installed by him personally and his team.

The rego labels and naming of the boat was supplied by humdinger, he made me top quality vinyl stickers which were less than half the price of the local internet sticker makers.

ric
28-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Sorry to those who have been following the build. Here is a pic of the boat completed.

Total build time from when i received the kit at my doorstep to dropping the boat in: 20 months and 1 week.;D

Engine figures during run in. (8hrs)
WOT is 44 knots
Cruise is 28 knots 4000rpm
Avg. fuel is around 1.1km/L
Handling has been excellent and very responsive to trim. No sneezing or mist coming back in onto the screens yet either.

Anyone is more than welcome to come for a run at a M&G, just come say hello.

Ric.

jmwarner
28-03-2014, 10:46 AM
That is one absolute beast of a boat!!!

Zimkideo
28-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Absolutely beautiful - and no issues with the manufacturer either ;D

Well done
:)

Chimo
28-03-2014, 02:12 PM
Very nice Ric and Mrs Ric. Performance is close to your estimate too.

Enjoy it as you surely will!

Cheers
Chimo

Spaniard_King
28-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Well done Ric, many a good time to be had in her.

What props are you running ?

Ratman
28-03-2014, 06:40 PM
I actually wanted to see who gave you a dislike but ended up giving you one myself, sorry bloke. hahaha

ric
28-03-2014, 11:08 PM
What props are you running ? mercury ones, you wouldn't understand. Hehe.

deckie
29-03-2014, 06:40 AM
Congrats on a primo build. Looks fantastic and sounds like you're stoked with the result.
These are the sorts of things u can look back on and think "did i do that ?" ..hellova achievement and done in good time.
Time to enjoy.
Steve

Spaniard_King
29-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Engine figures during run in. (8hrs)

Cruise is

Yeh I would ^^^^

stevemid
29-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Ric, just read your thread from start to finish. Well done. Really well done. I especially liked your tools, ESP the shed, excavator back hoe etc :). Did you ever get a final weight of the boat, and the trailer?

Steve

Lovey80
30-12-2015, 09:49 PM
Hi Ric,

i know this is a resurrection but could you please post some photos of the inside of the rig in its finished state? It's hard to see how much fishing room there is from the build pics.

rosco1974
31-12-2015, 06:46 PM
nice to finally meet ya today mate,that cat sure is a beast.
lovey80 that thing would fit your little 5.2 kc in it bout 2.5 times

ric
05-01-2016, 07:27 AM
Hi Lovey80,

I'll find some and post them up for you.
Ric

Lovey80
05-01-2016, 08:00 AM
nice to finally meet ya today mate,that cat sure is a beast.
lovey80 that thing would fit your little 5.2 kc in it bout 2.5 times

Yeh that's why I'm interested ;D. If I can't find a Marlin Broadbill in the 750-800 size I may have to build one myself.

Ric, what were the standard fuel tank sizes? Also from the drawings it looked like it had a double bed and two singles each side of the cab. Is that correct?

Chris Tucker
05-01-2016, 04:29 PM
There are a few deck/cabin layout options for the ctmd 7.5m cat (like Ric built). Yes some of them have a double bed forward, 2 singles in the hulls and an enclosed bathroom. Others are more fishing oriented and just have a big double bed and room for a porta potty. Have a look at the hammerhead boats Facebook page for drawings of the one Gerard is building for a commercial fisherman.

from memory fuel tanks are 2x200l (out of the office for a couple of days.

some of the different versions (there are others) can be seen in my portfolio: http://www.ctmd.com.au/portfolio.php

ric
07-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Hi Lovey80

I managed 260L per tank.

We recently did 3 nights/4 days fishing off Breaksea spit with 3 on board and I took an extra 200L in a fuel bladder on the back deck as a safety margin - it was my first trip to that area. Doing the same length trip off 1770, i wouldn't bother with the additional fuel.

There is some video footage from our trip up there of a baby black marlin thrashing about the deck on top of the full fuel bladder... interesting few minutes that was!!! The marlin was quickly dispatched into the deep freezer, two days later it was nicely frozen ;D

Ric

Crunchy
07-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Hadn't seen this thread before and read it from start to end the other night, wish I hadn't as had fitful dreams all night about welding! Ususally I dream about more enjoyable things. Having had an opportunity for a short ride in Ric's cat on a rather lumpy day all I can say is the the ride is simply WOW! I remember we came alongside a big Haines, gave them a quick "hello" put the hammer down and zoomed off leaving them for dead, spectacular!

Lovey80
09-01-2016, 09:01 AM
Hi Lovey80

I managed 260L per tank.

We recently did 3 nights/4 days fishing off Breaksea spit with 3 on board and I took an extra 200L in a fuel bladder on the back deck as a safety margin - it was my first trip to that area. Doing the same length trip off 1770, i wouldn't bother with the additional fuel.

There is some video footage from our trip up there of a baby black marlin thrashing about the deck on top of the full fuel bladder... interesting few minutes that was!!! The marlin was quickly dispatched into the deep freezer, two days later it was nicely frozen ;D

Ric

Thanks Ric, and thanks for taking the time to update us on what was an epic build. Now that you have had her out a bit is there anything you wished you had done differently or changed with the layout?