PDA

View Full Version : split pins

tenzing
12-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Doing some prop testing ( still )
Getting through split pins like theres no tomorrow.
Using 5/32 x 1 3/4 stainless that I had a few spares from the wobble rollers.
The Suzuki prop come with 5/32 x 2" which is probably preferable.
Tried the usual suspects this afternoon for no result . got some short ones from my local marine shop.
Anyone got a secret supplier?
Would like to keep a few of the 1 3/4 for the wobble rollers in case of an urgent change at the ramp.
Cheers Brendan

PS tomorrows time to shine goes to Solas 3x16x19. It certainly looks like a big piece of metal on my floor!

mowerman
12-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Try one of the bolt places.
They seem to have everything.

I got my last lot of roller pins from the guy in Smith st at Capalaba.
The one on Redland Bay rd is open Saturdays.

Redland Bay Rd on a Saturday.::)

Rod

Oceanranger24
12-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Hey Tenzing,
Don't bend them so much and you can reuse them several times. Not the best but good enough.
Phil

Oceanranger24
12-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Looks like the one on my boat and it is sweeeet!

tenzing
12-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys.
Will try bolt place at virginia or somewhere.
Phil I am not terribly mechanically minded and do not relish the thought of going propless or even changing one out wide.
Mind you identifying removing and putting new thrust washers and spacers etc is something I should have learnt long ago.
Cheers
Brendan

tunaticer
12-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Bolts and Industrial Pritchard Road Geebung/Virginia Right behind the BP servo.
KJ Bolts 312 Newman Road Geebung

Both will have them in stock.

Why are you going through split pins?
Split pins should not ever take any load, if they are you have overtightened the castleated nut. Once you remove the freeplay with the nut, back it off to the next available slot. If you remove the freeplay and the hole lines up, back it off to the next slot. Leaving the nut tight can cause the nut to shear the pin esp if you hit reverse in sand or mud.

PixieAU
12-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Bias boat supplies in Virginia stocks a range

tenzing
12-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Bolts and Industrial Pritchard Road Geebung/Virginia Right behind the BP servo.
KJ Bolts 312 Newman Road Geebung

Both will have them in stock.

Why are you going through split pins?
Split pins should not ever take any load, if they are you have overtightened the castleated nut. Once you remove the freeplay with the nut, back it off to the next available slot. If you remove the freeplay and the hole lines up, back it off to the next slot. Leaving the nut tight can cause the nut to shear the pin esp if you hit reverse in sand or mud.
Thanks Jack
The manual states that the nut should be tightened to 55-60 foot pounds. so definitely not hand tight as I had done previously.
I cant really see how having the nut looser is an advantage in reverse into mud or sand . Isn't that more likely to allow the prop to pull aft and thus move the nut and shear the pin?
In any case the pins retail at 60 cents so I would rather use a new one than work harden the stainless and fracture it at the bend when offshore.
There is considerable space between the thrust washer when cinched up on the taper of the shaft , and the rear seal(???), so even tightening to the prescribed torque cant put any more stress on the box than having it hand tight can it?
Dont worry about correcting me if this is all rubbish, I am learning as I go.

On another note , my 20yo son took the victory out without me for the first time today ( took his 6 foot 7 mate with him for support) and gave it a kick in the guts on the river so that we could compare apples with apples on the last prop( 3x25x21 + half cup). -last test done fully loaded offshore
It was funny letting the boat go up the road without me, and head off to work.They sent me videos of the fun they were having, washed the boat and bought me a carton! (then told me I had paid for the fuel!)
Fine young man getting experiences I never did.Love it
Cheers
Brendan

tenzing
12-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Bias boat supplies in Virginia stocks a range
Not in 5/32 .
Neither do whitworths or BCF. I did the lap this afternoon!
Cheers
Brendan

johncar
12-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Replacing it each time is probably good practice but I must admit I have never replaced one that I can remember. I cut them short and only bend one leg very slightly just enough so it doesn't fall out really. So with a pair of pliers I can just pull it straight out any time with out too much stress and reinsert it just as easily. Been lucky so far not to have lost one.
I think Probar at Caboolture has 4mm x 50mm SS split pins..

Apollo
13-07-2013, 04:14 AM
I usually get mine from a SS fasteners retailer.

Had to do a prop removal and replace in the deep blue once on a mates boat with no spare split pin aboard. Highly recommend not doing it!

gofishin
13-07-2013, 06:22 AM
Brendan, I have previously bought them (all different sizes) from Boltmasters at Morningside, just inbound from Reece on Lytton Rd & opposite the hockey grounds, open Saturday mornings. Give them a call. Also Boltbiz, at Hemmant, but not open Sat.

While you are testing props (and doing a lot of swaps etc) I would only be using a bit of Gal fence wire, or better - SS mono trace wire if it will be a few weeks between swaps etc - whatever you have lying around! And yes, nut should always be tight, & the split pin should never really come into play! When testing multiple props/back-to-back etc I don't even use a pin!

And good on you for letting your son use your boat. My old man started to let me take the big boat at 15. By that stage I was the skipper anyway, especially on return trips...boat always had too many beers, so he had to drink them to err... lighten the load... ;D. I will be forever grateful he did this! (no not drink all the beers, let me take the boat ;D)

Cheers
Brendon
PS. I use a prop-lock which does not work with split pins. Have used a 'precisely bent/shaped' bit of HT SS mono trace wire for the last two boats & 9 yrs.

tenzing
13-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Just FYI did the test this am and the 16x19 is a Massive prop that literally threw the boat out of the hole.
There was minimal loss of top end ( the slip calculator shows less than 3% at WOT which makes me suspect it is actually a tiny bit more than 19")
Only half fuel and 100kg Son but reach rev limiter with a little left to go.
Will try fully loaded in a bit of swell then decide if to try 20" or not.
Cheers
Brendan

tenzing
16-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks Jack
The manual states that the nut should be tightened to 55-60 foot pounds. so definitely not hand tight as I had done previously.
I cant really see how having the nut looser is an advantage in reverse into mud or sand . Isn't that more likely to allow the prop to pull aft and thus move the nut and shear the pin?
In any case the pins retail at 60 cents so I would rather use a new one than work harden the stainless and fracture it at the bend when offshore.
There is considerable space between the thrust washer when cinched up on the taper of the shaft , and the rear seal(???), so even tightening to the prescribed torque cant put any more stress on the box than having it hand tight can it?
Dont worry about correcting me if this is all rubbish, I am learning as I go.

On another note , my 20yo son took the victory out without me for the first time today ( took his 6 foot 7 mate with him for support) and gave it a kick in the guts on the river so that we could compare apples with apples on the last prop( 3x25x21 + half cup). -last test done fully loaded offshore
It was funny letting the boat go up the road without me, and head off to work.They sent me videos of the fun they were having, washed the boat and bought me a carton! (then told me I had paid for the fuel!)
Fine young man getting experiences I never did.Love it
Cheers
Brendan

Please let me correct my mistake:
The manual suggests tightening the prop nut to 50 to 60 Nm (36-43 ft lbs)
Apologies for the Boo Boo

Having just put the NEXT prop on, I can state categorically that you cant follow the Torque guideline as within the 60 degrees from one slot in the castellated nu to the next it goes from " only just" to "Geez do I really want to go there!"

Next prop is solas 4x15 1/4 x20.
The 3x16x19 wasnt too bad but hit the limiter easily with light load and still got 6050 rpm fully loaded. loved the acceleration but it still grabbed some air and took its time climbing up when full of fuel and water and fat arsed mates. At least I didnt scratch it so its a swap and go job!
Thanks to Steve at Solas for his patience and lightning speed. I am going to have to start sending boxes back soon though.
Cheers
Brendan

Grand_Marlin
17-07-2013, 04:43 AM
G'day Brendan,

Brisbane fasteners on south pine road at Brendale would be close for you.
Always err on the looser side of tight with your castle nut.

Cheers

Pete

tenzing
17-07-2013, 05:31 AM
Thanks Pete
How the hell are you
Beer any time soon?

Rooky25
17-07-2013, 07:29 AM
Most of the Bearing Service Centres stock split pins in stainless and cheaper than BCF.

Mr__Bean
17-07-2013, 09:03 PM
If you are stuck and you need to re-use a pin you can always "normalise" it so that it doesn't break from work hardening.

If you clean the pin, hold it on the round end with pliers over a blue flame on your kitchen gas cooker jet, and heat it above the upper critical temperature (get it at least dog cock red) and then remove it slowly from the heat upwards to allow slowest cooling.

The slower the cooling the better.

Then you will be able to use it again.

Darren

jahunt
18-07-2013, 01:32 PM
A really good source for Stainless Split Pins (http://www.anzor.com.au/retainers/split-pins/product) is Anzor Fasteners (http://www.anzor.com.au/) in Acacia Ridge, Brisbane. they have 304 stainless split pins (http://www.anzor.com.au/retainers/split-pins/product) but also Marine grade 316 Split Pins (http://www.anzor.com.au/retainers/split-pins/product) which you would want on your boat but most places don't have. if you don't want to go in, you can send them an enquiry online, pay by credit card and they'l send it out to you.

tenzing
18-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Also noticed I had a pack of "Dans Skippers Kit" 316 stainless s/pins from Bunnings sitting in the boat toolbox.
Just want to get out and give the 4 blade a workout- bloody work!

tenzing
18-07-2013, 04:40 PM
A really good source for Stainless Split Pins (http://www.anzor.com.au/retainers/split-pins/product) is Anzor Fasteners (http://www.anzor.com.au/) in Acacia Ridge, Brisbane. they have 304 stainless split pins (http://www.anzor.com.au/retainers/split-pins/product) but also Marine grade 316 Split Pins (http://www.anzor.com.au/retainers/split-pins/product) which you would want on your boat but most places don't have. if you don't want to go in, you can send them an enquiry online, pay by credit card and they'l send it out to you.
Hey thats a great website
Love all those stainless bits and bobs
Cheers
Brendan