PDA

View Full Version : safe boating for whales

beaglebasher
10-07-2013, 07:03 PM
i have already asked this question in another forum and 1143 people read the question but i got no replies. i would like to know of a good boat ramp near wollongong where we can launch and hopefully see some whales, Jervis bay to the south and Sydney harbour to the north are the limits. fairly big range really. any help would be appreciated . cheers

ozynorts
10-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Mate it has been a while since I was there but what about Kiama. It is a good safe ramp from memory. Just did a search and there is a place advertising that you can watch the whales from your room so I guess they must get close to the coast there.

Justin Rossiter
10-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Not sure what the PFD requirements are for whales or what your whale carrying capacity is on your rig ;)

WalrusLike
10-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Good luck with it BB. I too would love to see more of them close up.

Just please be aware of your safety and the law concerning their right of way over you and the clearance distances.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

thelump
11-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Not sure what the PFD requirements are for whales or what your whale carrying capacity is on your rig ;)

Come on Cobiaman you are slipping. Look at this golden opportunity!

Back In Black
11-07-2013, 09:02 AM
A mate of mine had one come up under his boat on Friday off Sunshine Reef, sending his fish finder into apoplexy, & broached about 8m from his boat. He let a salvo go from his blow hole, & my mate got satched, he was that close!!

He pulled anchor, crossed the bar & put new undies on.

Tony

crikey macca
11-07-2013, 09:22 AM

One time I was paddling my surf ski from Moreton Island to Stradbroke Island and I came across a boat in distress. They had found a lost baby Lump back Whale stranded on the sand bar. They had attached at least 5 life jackets around the beasts massive girth and were in the process of pulling the floundering hapless calf on board.
The guys did a fantastic job saving the baby Lump back and released it into deeper water only to be attacked and killed by a pod of killer whales.
Cheers Crikey Macca

Noelm
11-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Plenty of Whales around here at the moment, Shellharbour is a good ramp for any size boat, as is Kiama, Wollongong is a shit of a ramp (if you could call it a ramp) Port Kembla is also OK.

Noelm
11-07-2013, 09:48 AM
I guess I should add (I am not too sure where you are from) Jervis Bay to Sydney is a loooong way to go by trailer boat! But there is lots of Whales right along the coast now, how about a Whale Watching charter? there is a few of them around.

cobiaman
11-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Come on Cobiaman you are slipping. Look at this golden opportunity!

Tell me about it, i do an honest days work for once and this happens!!!!

beaglebasher
11-07-2013, 05:29 PM
thanks for the info folks. i am in the gong noelm and it looks like we will try either shellharbour or kiama, maybe port kembla. i have a 500 freedom sport with a 90 yamaha on it, all in good nick, my only real worry is how far offshore will we need to go to find the big lumps of blubber? while i am here i might as well ask another question, who are the best people to phone for weather reports before we go out? thanks again

Noelm
11-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Most times the Whales are quite close, sometimes less than a K from shore, but at times they can be a few ks out, I guess as far as weather goes, just use the TV reports or buoy weather or the BOM site, any of them are as good (or bad) as each other. Most times Whale sightings are on the local radio stations.

beaglebasher
11-07-2013, 05:47 PM
hey justin, my boat is licenced to carry 5 people and only 4 of us will be going out. i have 6 lifejackets (2 of them for children) do you want to come out with us? if your a fat bloke you can just wear them on your arms. cheers

thelump
11-07-2013, 09:03 PM
hey justin, my boat is licenced to carry 5 people and only 4 of us will be going out. i have 6 lifejackets (2 of them for children) do you want to come out with us? if your a fat bloke you can just wear them on your arms. cheers

Come on Cobiaman. What are you doing!!!!!!

cobiaman
11-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Come on Cobiaman. What are you doing!!!!!!

No comparison, you were wearing 5 childrens lifejackets and it only covered half your body....