PDA

View Full Version : Help with Downriggers

StoneNeedham
10-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Hey all. I have recently purchased two new downriggers. My question is which way to mount them. Do I have the boom arm pointing straight back or can they be mounted like two arms that run at right angles to the boat. Does it matter. Can it be done either way. Anyone with downrigger experience what orientation did you use and why do you like it that way. Any and all help would be appreciated.

capt
10-07-2013, 07:09 PM
I have put mine out the side on an angle , makes it easier to work the bomb and rig the baits

Hope this helps

cheers Jimmy

StoneNeedham
10-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Hey Jimmy. You say out the side on an angle. Do you mean like at 45 degrees pointing backwards and out to the side?

Charlie
10-07-2013, 07:32 PM
I have one on the side sticking out at ninety degrees for solo use and add another at the rear when we're fishing two up. I doesn't really matter which way you go but you want to mount to to a fairly sturdy part of the boat .

StoneNeedham
10-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Thanks Charlie. I am going to run mine like two boom arms running out at 90 degrees from the boat on both sides. I will first have to get some aluminium work done and get some sort of strengthened mounting plate or bracket so it is quite strong. It is on a 3.8 metre tinny and my troll speed is usually only 2 knots. What sized bomb weight would be appropriate?