PDA

View Full Version : Storing Green Weed in the fridge without angering the missus

Hawker
09-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Hey guys and gals

if anyone can offer me tips on how to store green weed in the fridge without the smell of it permeating all throughout i would be eternally grateful ;D

Cheers
H

sleepygreg
10-07-2013, 01:10 AM
I used to spread mine out on layers of damp newspaper, then roll it up and put it in a plastic bag. it only gets really smelly if you try to keep it too long (as in time). But I also like blue cheese, so there is always some of that permeating the fridge, and they complain more about that than the weed.....lol.

sparkyice
10-07-2013, 02:50 AM
"greenweed"? where i come from that is a euphimism for homegrown canibis. it does have a distinct, permeating aroma. never thought of hiding it in the fridge.
not the same stuff, i suppose?

Noelm
10-07-2013, 09:55 AM
I have frozen green weed before, it seems to be OK when thawed, at least the Blackfish don't seem to know the difference.

RayLamp
10-07-2013, 02:32 PM
I had visions of catching fish on ganja!

You'd think the fish would come up without much of a fight. Wouldn't it be pretty mellow?

WalrusLike
10-07-2013, 02:45 PM
It would be hungry......

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Hawker
10-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Lol guys i was referring to the stuff that grows on the intertidal zone used for bait on luderick :) never knew this post would have suggested anything other than fishing related stuff.

I tried plastic bags before but the smell still wafts through. It is actually quite potent.

Noelm are you sure the blackfish dont mind the frozen weed? Does it work on cabbage too? I will give it a try next time...

thanks
H

sleepygreg
11-07-2013, 12:56 AM
Don't freeze cabbage weed...it goes to mush when thawed.

sleepygreg
11-07-2013, 12:59 AM
maybe im just immune to the smell of the green weed (and consequently the family just got used to it as well.....cos they loved eating the end result of fishing with it). It is heaps better than the smell of the ab gut I used to use for Drummer :D

Noelm
11-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Noelm are you sure the blackfish dont mind the frozen weed? Does it work on cabbage too? I will give it a try next time...

thanks
H
Never tried freezing Cabbage, but according to Greg it is a no go, weed however is fine, I guess it is not as good as just "picked" but sure better than none, and I have caught fish on it lots of times, and believe me, I am not an expert in Blackfishing at all.

Noelm
11-07-2013, 08:15 AM
It is heaps better than the smell of the ab gut I used to use for Drummer :D

Abb gut is pretty scarce now, I think most is exported alive and so not a lot of gut is available like it used to be, I find peeled Royal Red Prawns to be pretty good for Drummer, but I do save a bit of gut when my son catches them, mind you, with the bag limit these days, it takes about a year to get enough gut for a trip.

Gordie
11-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Fellas when you are referring to the weed I am a little confused as the one I gather is the bright green one. It looks like miniature lettuce and some times referred to as Lettuce or Cabbage.

You are talking the other stringy weed I guess. Can someone put me right on the names please ?

Gordon

Short Fuse
12-07-2013, 09:49 AM
The best way to keep green weed is to place it in shallow plastic trays of salt water. Keep the trays in a shady cool area outside. As the water evaporates, top up with tank water, not more saltwater. We have kept both stringy weed and cabbage alive and growing for months in this manner. That way, you have a supply of weed ready for any trips throughout the season.

cheers

Jeff