PDA

View Full Version : Shorncliff Boat Ramp - Local Knowledge

DigitalSI
08-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Thinking about launching from the Shorncliff Boat Ramp. Popped down this arvo & checked it out and it looks good but a sign said Seek Local Knowledge so here I am seeking local knowledge. I note that there is a drop off on the ramp at low tide but was wondering if there i anything else I should know about this ramp or channel especially at low tide. We have a 5.25 half cab fiberglass. Any comments regarding this ramp would be much appreciated.

Still_Dreamin
08-07-2013, 07:08 PM
I assume you mean cabbage tree creek near the yacht club. Are you talking about the large ramp with pontoon or the little one near the jetty at the mouth of creek? I launch a 5.45m fibreglass at the main ramp with pontoon regularly and never had a problem. Doesn't get busy like Scarborough. There is a rock bar opposite the ramp at the mouth of nundah creek so be careful if you are awaiting your turn at the ramp. It is a six knot zone until you pass the jetty at the mouth. Other than that I find it straight forward. On an incoming tide use the side closest to the yacht club and the tide holds you against the pontoon and vice versa for outgoing tide. I have seen people struggle if they don't do this as the tide and wind can be surprising as it seems a protected ramp. It will be interesting to see what else others say.

Si
08-07-2013, 07:42 PM
The one with the pontoon at Sinbad Street is a great ramp. Never had any dramas in my old 5.3 half cab. Plenty of parking. fish cleaning table and toilets. The ramp on Allpass Parade is smaller, does get a little shallow and is much more exposed to the wind but still generally ok for smaller boats. Your best bet would be the Sinbad ramp. The channel is fine with no navigational hazards but is quite narrow near and beyond the mouth. Just stay within markers until you are out past them and dont cut when coming in.

DigitalSI
08-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the info guys; I took a photo while I was there, hopefully it has displayed in this reply. Is this the boat ramp you are both commenting about?

Still_Dreamin
08-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Yep that is the one. Good ramp. One other thing I forgot was the mouth can get quite rough on an outgoing tide and NE wind. Also worthwhile getting some fish and chips and sit on the foreshore near mouth and watch how the banks emerge as the tide drops. Call it family time and score some brownie points while you are at it

DigitalSI
08-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Thank you for the local knowledge, I really appreciate your input.

jmwarner
09-07-2013, 09:00 AM
You shouldn't have any problems there I launch a 6m half cab and i have to sink the trailer but i have heard it has a big drop off so i would avoid a very low tide. As Still_dreamin said sometimes it can be a shit time going out sometimes but follow the markers till you hit a special marker on the edge of the green zone and you should be fine from there.

Cheech
09-07-2013, 09:06 AM
I think they must have fixed the dropoff around the time they did the pontoon. I remember years ago reaching the end of it, but a few months ago at a very low tide and sinking my tandem trailer, I did not go off the end. Just stay inside the beacons and you will be fine. If coming in at night, there are 2 white lights you line up to help keep you in the centre of the channel.

jmwarner
09-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Don't know if it still works but when i was younger we could cast for a feed of bananas in front of the marina wings. I think now you might struggle getting some for bait.

fat-buoy
10-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Also worthwhile getting some fish and chips and sit on the foreshore near mouth and watch how the banks emerge as the tide drops.

I remember sitting down there having lunch years ago watching the boats come in and out and there was this guy in a little punt coming in.. he was right down the back and the nose of it was sticking all but straight up in the air... I have no idea what he was doing and I don't think he did either as he crashed directly into a post maker pretty much directly in front of the fish and chip shop on the other side of the channel...

I nearly spat my chips out laughing so hard as he sort of fell over in his boat and did a few donuts in his boat until he could regain control.. funniest thing I have seen in years :)