PDA

View Full Version : Cheerio to Knobhead

tenzing
07-07-2013, 04:11 PM
I have had a day or so to settle down now, so I would just like to send a big raspberry out to the halfwit in the cruiser who nearly took the front off my boat at Scarborough yesterday about 5.30 am.
It may have been difficult for him to concentrate on his surroundings as he was so busy congratulating himself on owning a great big piece of sh*t , useful only for colliding into hardworking fisherfolk who are minding their own business while travelling at safe speed through the beacons , all lit up like a bloody Christmas tree to make it easier for complete knobs to give way to them.
This particular tool took it upon himself to fly ACROSS the beacons from my port side (obviously intent on applying the cruiser rulebook's little known "left of way" principle) at high speed and completely ignore the likelihood of a collision.
Luckily Tim and I had switched our "halfwit Detector" system to high alert as we watched the approaching nav lights, and cut the power , with his big White turd mobile missing us by no more than a couple of metres.
Anyway, its unlikely that the fine members of this site are likely to include such riff raff , so I guess its rant over.
Had a nice day out and got a little feed for tea.
Stay Safe and assume nobody else gives a flying fluff about you and your welfare.
Brendan

Duckfish
07-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Good on you Brendan. There a sure plenty of half wits in this world who only think of themselves. What goes around will come around till then be on a lookout for halfwits.
Duck

Spaniard_King
07-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Brendan,

If you got his rego you could report it as a "Near Miss" to Maritime Safety, they should follow it up??

I would have been tempted on a full broadside on the snappers :)

TopBhoy
07-07-2013, 07:47 PM
These need to be included in the next fitout!!

tenzing
07-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Brendan,

If you got his rego you could report it as a "Near Miss" to Maritime Safety, they should follow it up??

I would have been tempted on a full broadside on the snappers :)
Garry we didnt get time to get the no. He was really motoring and we just kind of sat back on our heels shocked.
He came across our bow then turned hard right as if to go into scarborough harbour.
You know we just wanted to go and and enjoy the day, and not waste time getting all chest out with this fool.
He'll misjudge a beacon one day (???)
Cheers
Brendan

tenzing
07-07-2013, 07:54 PM
These need to be included in the next fitout!!
I Like it
Mount one that can swivel ( or tracking missile?)
Cheers
Brendan

Shark Poker
07-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Hey Tenzing,
The above comments are fun but not really all that silly.
Get prepared for the next time that this will happen.

At Manly boat harbour we have several yacht (yot) races every week.
One Sunday morning I am coming back into the harbour and several yots are heading out, I approach 3 yots travelling side by side and taking up the entire channel - illegal as hell - and I am in a Bertram with twin shafts/no skegs - having to manoeuvre out of the channel up onto the sand.
Worst thing is that the yot closest to me has nobody above deck...! Moments later someone appears and gives me a friendly wave!
So I am sitting in the flybridge considering how to modify the bow of my vessel so that it can provide 'education' without expensive repair bills for myself.
Its them dude, not you, do not get upset, just get prepared.
Pauly

ozscott
07-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Its b ad when you have to consider a crash camera for your boat...

Cheers

wirlybird
08-07-2013, 07:41 AM
I remember sailing out of Hamilton island harbor one day "under sail no motor" and i waved a large motorboat out of the way from the only passage i could take through the leeds due to wind angle and draft. He ignored me and we collided violently so i proceeded to leave a big present all the way down the side of his boat with my shackle key :)

The knobs are everywhere Unfortunately

I like the idea of a crash camera you just need it on a swivel

fisho8
11-07-2013, 06:10 PM
There always doing this sort of stuff I was heading out in my 385 tinny Brendon and nearly got taken out. The bloke did not see me at all. You see the flying out of Newport harbour all the time and they either cut straight across the channel or come in through the top as you witnessed I see the all the time when I take my young bloke up there up there. 80% of those people who live on the canals should just stick to playing golf because most of them cannot drive a boat to save their life or should own one. Boils your blood but good to hear there was no collision.

SandStorm
11-07-2013, 07:13 PM
WAFI's are the biggest bunch of idiots over here, they love to use anchored angling boats as target practice, they're often the most obnoxious breed of human you'll ever find too.........8-) Due to the economy here, most cruisers/gin palaces rarely leave the marina these days, they can't afford the juice lol which is a blessing as the owners of those tend to be a bunch of semi hard ons too :)

Richo1
11-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Try around Peel Island on a sunday plenty of halfwits there as well!
Get a air horn and don't be afraid to use it. It's part of the colregs., if you are in doubt of the others intentions sound 5 one second blasts (or any length to get their attention)
Should they still end up hitting you or nearly., its one more bit of ammo you have should it end up in court. Might save your life as well.
You can get hand held ones from most boat shops.

Cheers

seren-y-mor
11-07-2013, 09:29 PM
I remember sailing out of Hamilton island harbor one day "under sail no motor" and i waved a large motorboat out of the way from the only passage i could take through the leeds due to wind angle and draft. He ignored me and we collided violently so i proceeded to leave a big present all the way down the side of his boat with my shackle key :)

The knobs are everywhere Unfortunately

I like the idea of a crash camera you just need it on a swivel

Sorry to inform you wirlybird but under rule 9 (b) if the large motorboat you tryed waving out of the way was over 20 metres and could only navigate within the channel at hammo he would have had right of way over you and would have been the stand on vessel, even if you were under sail...

wirlybird
13-07-2013, 04:48 PM
ha ha na he was 40 foot

FYI im a master mariner nice quote