PDA

View Full Version : Who stole my PROP...????????

solemandownunder
05-07-2013, 02:37 PM
5am.....in the water at Manly......

Ran the ole 1984 60hp Jonno last night.....as I always do before a trip the next day.
Gotta be noice to these old gals...prep em up......a bit like foreplay ya know ;)

Anyways, I digress......out to Mud...east side first for a bit of drifting with the EVER "maddening" crowd of uneducated anchor bangers...you all know the ones....drop anchor for 5 mins, scare all the fish then move on & wonder why they dont catch fish :-X

Thought F@#$%&^*& this, went to move over to North Mud......

Now, me old Jonno she started fine....put her into gear, revved nicely, but didnt want to move....hmmmmmmm

Pull the cowl off.....start engine and check shift lingages ok.....no probs.

Been over an unusually LARGE amount of crab pots on the way out....:idea: better check the prop for some tangles.

Press the little red button on the forward control....engine lifts ( GOOD sign )....and UP she comes in all her glory......but NO PROP :o

Lessee now......she ran beautifully last night....didnt spit a prop at me or in the yard for that matter.....hence this post....WHO STOLE MY DAMN PROP :-?

She was only about 6 months old....BRAND NEW.....the bloke we bought the boat from did it as a courtesy as the old old prop had seen better days.

When I run the old gal the night before, I ALWAYS check the prop as she is warming up, and before I try her in both Forward & Neutral gears....Good as GOLD. :-?

So......what I need to know is: did one of you guys sneak up on me while I wasnt looking and deflower my baby :o

IF you did....GOOD joke, no probs, but PLEASE can I have her back :'(

She is a good old gal, although a bit of an EXPENSIVE biatch when it comes to Prop replacement.....so, would the jokester please own up and bring my Prop back....PLEASE :'(

PRETTY PLEASE.......:-?

The journey home......well now THAT is another matter entirely....lets just say Leckie motors were a godsend.....

Bring my Prop back & I will explain further how I left East Mud @ 7.30am this morning and arrived back at Manly about 12 midday WITH the aid of the Water Police....who towed me in from the North West tip of Green Isl.

:'(Ray

honda900
05-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Geez mate sounds like an adventure..

Did it spin the prop off the hub or whole lot missing?

Regards
HOnda

lucee81
05-07-2013, 02:43 PM
I don't have your prop but maybe able to help you out with one i found at mud island. Pm your number if your interested
But seriously I may be able to help you out with a s/s prop. Second hand no damage. No scratches

thelump
05-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Do you know what size it is Ray? I have one sittin in the shed that came off a 115??? Yours if ya want it but it maybe a bit large???????

Still_Dreamin
05-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Do you have electric motors on the boat in your avatar

solemandownunder
05-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Geez mate sounds like an adventure..

Did it spin the prop off the hub or whole lot missing?

Regards
HOnda

Just the spline left, clean as.......no prop :-?

solemandownunder
05-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Do you know what size it is Ray? I have one sittin in the shed that came off a 115??? Yours if ya want it but it maybe a bit large???????

Thanks for the offer mate....I have the old dillapidated one here....has 11 2/4 x 17 scribbled on it ??????? The 2/4 is somewhat obscure....

This is ALL new to me.....NEVER lost a prop in 40 years (on & off) of boating.

Thanks, Ray.

solemandownunder
05-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Do you have electric motors on the boat in your avatar

No...sorry ST....this is on my 16ft deHavilland....will post some pics of her soon :)

The leckie that NEARLY bought her back to harbour is a Watersnake Transome mount 44lb......along with the help of 3 fully charged batteries.

Thanks, Ray.

solemandownunder
05-07-2013, 03:30 PM
I don't have your prop but maybe able to help you out with one i found at mud island. Pm your number if your interested
But seriously I may be able to help you out with a s/s prop. Second hand no damage. No scratches

PM graciously sent, Thanks, Ray.

tunaticer
05-07-2013, 03:50 PM
I did the same thing outside of Bribie Island about 6 yrs ago.......i re-used a split pin rather than replacing it $280 for the coastguard and 200 for a new prop and two nuts and 6 split pins......treat it like american express these days.....

netmaker
05-07-2013, 04:22 PM
that is quite a report ray. considering the prop got you to the eastern side of mud, it was obviously attached right up until you switched off. how on earth would it drop off when not in use? did you perhaps have a big snapper on that ran round your motor and took it with him?

SummerTrance
05-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Well that sucks. What a way to ruin a fishing trip in such glorious weather.

Mud to green on the electric is a bit of a mission. What happened then, did the battery run out, or were the WP just cruising past and saw you, or did you call for help ?

Muddy Toes
05-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Damn dirty spanner crabs........

kingcray
05-07-2013, 05:55 PM
bullshark ate it mate

WalrusLike
05-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Eco-Snapper-Saving-Scuba Diver?

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Humdinger
05-07-2013, 07:57 PM
I've got a s/s 4 blade off a 225 evinrude for sale if that helps ya

tunaticer
05-07-2013, 08:23 PM
that is quite a report ray. considering the prop got you to the eastern side of mud, it was obviously attached right up until you switched off. how on earth would it drop off when not in use? did you perhaps have a big snapper on that ran round your motor and took it with him?

Whilst driving the force on the prop keeps it nested to the gearbox, shut it down and anchor up in the current and the current will pull it off the spline within a blink of an eye.

burleygu
05-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Ray I have a prop in useable condition( not the best but useable ) that came off a 1980 something 60hp Johnson. If you would like it mate its yours let me know 0407989702
Im on brissie northside at morayfield

ericcs
05-07-2013, 10:42 PM
ray, i've also got a spare ss prop of a 60 evinrude you can have for nix. pm me if your interested, i live in birkdale. cheers eric

solemandownunder
06-07-2013, 03:49 AM
Dave.....no such luck M8....while I was deliberating my plight, I did get a grinner but :D

ST....I got from East Mud across to the SE tip of St Helena, then was heading for the NW channel marker on Green when the Leckie finally gave up.

The WP suddenly appeared out of nowhere down near that NW channel marker & pulled over a larger vessel that had just left Manly.

As soon as they finished, I stood up in the boat with my arms crossed over my head and they responded quickly. They still did a safety check, but were gracious in that they towed me back in, seeing I was that close. They could have had the CG come & get me, at cost, but they were VERY obliging & took me in instead. Great Guy & Lovely lady officers.
They could have pinged me for wet flares, athough still in date & discoloured/faded V sheet....but suggested VERY strongly that I replace them BEFORE coming back out on the water ;)

Tried the radio from Mud on both 88 & 94....either the 27meg is not good enough out there or they weren't paying attention at that time. ::)
Found out later Manly CG monitor 90 & 91 as well as 88.
I will do some radio checks next time....

All I really wanted them to do was shadow me in & be ready to come & get me if I could not make it myself...didn't see the need to use them if I could have got in with the Leckie....I new I was up for at least a 4 hour trip minimum, but time was no issue.

Trolled ALL the way from Mud to that point.....not ONE hit :'( Biggest troll I have EVER done :D

Cheers, Ray.

solemandownunder
06-07-2013, 03:56 AM
I've got a s/s 4 blade off a 225 evinrude for sale if that helps ya

Thanks for the offer HD, but I also have a 175 Jonno here & the 60 horse prop looks like a baby in comparison.

It was the first thing I noticed when we bought it....even said to Kerri...."that is one HUGE ass M%$#&^ F&^#$"...my exact words ;D

Cheers, Ray.

solemandownunder
06-07-2013, 04:06 AM
burleygu & ericcs.....PMs' sent.

I will ALWAYS carry a spare prop from this moment on......oh & nuts and split pins. 8-)

Cheers, Ray.