PDA

View Full Version : Auxillary Outboard- support

londee
05-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of having to replace my 2 stroke Yamaha 8 Hp outboard motor support bracket. It has been pounded over the years and has finally given up. I normally have the outboard tilted up out of the water, the banging of waves when rough has cracked the support bracket . Does anyone have a way the outboard can be supported better. The outboard is mounted onto a genuine Quintrex welded outboard mount.

JulianDeMarchi
05-07-2013, 10:13 AM
I'll get pics when I get home, but on my alloy boat I have a mount welded at the bottom of the hull that takes an engine support bracket like the ones you mount on the ass end of your trailer to support the engine. hope this gives you an idea....

Noelm
05-07-2013, 01:50 PM
that is a common "feature" of Yamaha of all HP's, most Surf Clubs don't use them now, (unless they have too) they prefer Merc, Tohatsu (same thing) or old OMC's

londee
05-07-2013, 02:10 PM
ll get pics when I get home, but on my alloy boat I have a mount welded at the bottom of the hull that takes an engine support bracket like the ones you mount on the ass end of your trailer to support the engine. hope this gives you an idea.... Thanks, I would be interested to see

that is a common "feature" of Yamaha of all HP's, most Surf Clubs don't use them now, (unless they have too) they prefer Merc, Tohatsu (same thing) or old OMC's Bugger, I suppose I could be up for a replacement one if the cost of the repair is high. It looks like I will have to remove the head to get the selector shaft out to be able to replace the broken stuff... $ might add up

Noelm
05-07-2013, 02:44 PM
not that hard to change yourself, bugger of a job, but not tricky, some basic tools and a bit of ability will see you right.

solemandownunder
05-07-2013, 03:34 PM
I'll get pics when I get home, but on my alloy boat I have a mount welded at the bottom of the hull that takes an engine support bracket like the ones you mount on the ass end of your trailer to support the engine. hope this gives you an idea....

That is a GREAT idea Julian...thanks for sharing :)

Ray.