PDA

View Full Version : coastguard safety app

hakuna
04-07-2013, 04:24 PM
http://www.coastguard.com.au/component/content/article/2-webcontent/57-safetrx (http://www.coastguard.com.au/component/content/article/2-webcontent/57-safetrx)

hope the link works

cheers ::)

WalrusLike
04-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Yes I highly recommend this app. It adds a extra layer of safety beyond even the normal logging of the VMR/Coastguard.

It may reveal your secret spots to authorised app administrators but yours will be buried amongst the aimless wanderings of amateurs like me. :)

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Midnight
04-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Excellent, thanks for the info

I will use it for sure.

Cheers

Midnight
04-07-2013, 10:11 PM
I just registered, you only get to log on 5 times for free, after that you have to pay.

I can't see much of an incentive when you can log on via VHF for free......

Great idea, but it needs to be free to log on at all times.

I will send them some feed back.

Cheers

WalrusLike
05-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Sorry. I would have mentioned the cost but its so insignificant that I forgot about it.

The cost is next to nothing. You can't surely begrudge a volunteer organisation the tiny trip charge??

It's less than 20 cents per trip. It's a brilliant idea actually. They get a trickle from a lot of people and it might help fund them. (Something our boat rego should do actually....). A whole days safety for 20c

So for $1 you get 6 'trips' or $2 gets 13

Now please tell me you didn't realise that it was so insignificant. :)

You do realise you are getting a fantastic safety addition for this tiny tiny tiny charge? And that they are willing to risk their lives in dangerous conditions to save you?

Midnight
05-07-2013, 09:11 AM
I log on for every trip via VHF anyway, so no increase in safety for me.
I already pay a yearly fee to VMR also.

Great idea, but I will stick to the VHF....

WalrusLike
05-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Midnight there actually is an increase in safety using the app.

Because it is updating your position regularly the search starts in the right neighbourhood.

If you just radio log a trip it may involve a few different spots and its a big water out there. They won't have much to go on other than a direct course plot estimate.

With the app they know where you were when you hit the whale and holed your boat.

Also it reduces radio traffic and staff needed to handle it. I also like the trickle funding idea.

Just thought I should point out some points in its favour.

Midnight
05-07-2013, 10:33 AM
30nm east of the coast here there is no reception, and I turn my phone off so it does t go flat searching for a signal.

I agree it is a good thing, just not for me...

lethal098
05-07-2013, 11:40 AM
it wont be for everyone Midnight,

It very much compliments to log on/off via Radio, but if your regularly fish out of mobile range it is probably not very practical for you.

If anyone wants more information on the App please dont hesitate to contact me about it,

thelump
05-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Going to try it tomorrow for the first time. Will be interesting how much battery will be consumed!

grumpysmurf
05-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Does anyone know how well this app applies to West Australian? Metro area? I heard that the Eastern States system of sea rescue is different to ours. We don't use coast guards (I think they only patrol for boat people and whalers), but rather we have a few Volunteer Marine Rescue groups. These are purely volunteers and they rely on donations etc

lethal098
05-07-2013, 03:42 PM
will still work in WA Grumpy no probs at all,

IF you dont log off at the end of the trip, The Coastguard People in Victoria that monitor SafeTrx will contact the local Search and Rescue Co Ordinators (WATER POLICE) and they will be the ones that coordinate the search from there.

WalrusLike
05-07-2013, 06:14 PM
I would reckon even if you are going out wide its useful.

At the very least it showed your course up till loss of signal.

That could be way different than what you had logged. Especially of you went bait catching first.

But yeah... not for everyone but most would get a real benefit I would think.

The app is cany about battery. If it senses that batt is going towards low it reduces its demands on the phone. Smart stuff.

SatNav
05-07-2013, 07:31 PM
1. Boaties need to review their own judgement on this one as after all the many years of qualified education re the use of mobile phones in a marine environment for essentially safety matters the CoastGuard (of all people) come out with a system reliant on mobile technology and worse a subscription system at that.

WalrusLike
05-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Satnav I take it you think this is a bad idea?

If so it can only be because you haven't thought it through.

Your simplistic idea appears to be mobile phone - marine environment - bad.

Instead of me explaining why the app is good... perhaps you would state what the problem with this is as far as your concerned?

Bros
05-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Satnav I take it you think this is a bad idea?

If so it can only be because you haven't thought it through.

Your simplistic idea appears to be mobile phone - marine environment - bad.

Instead of me explaining why the app is good... perhaps you would state what the problem with this is as far as your concerned?

He couldn't get past 1 on this.

ozscott
05-07-2013, 08:16 PM
I think its a good idea...as long as it is seen as a supplement to and not a substitute for VHF.

Cheers

tassjo
05-07-2013, 09:33 PM
As for battery consumption ,just keep you smart phone plugged in to a 12v socket.I think it is a good idea ,maybe some of us are still living in the dark ages

DaveNkelly
06-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Good Idea I think..
If it saves one life then its worth it..
I agree I shouldn't replace the current VHF log in but as a bit extra protection why not I say..

As for the price, at least its going to a great course, and $1 or what ever it is, it's nothing when you look at the cost of boating and even less if you weren't floating;D

One thing's for sure there is no shortage of D*#kheads with boat licences that need all the help they can get..hahaha

A few questions, what happens if you don't return on time and don't have phone range? IE crack onto a big school of fish and are an hour or two longer than expected? surely they try and contact you Via VHF first?

What if you drop your phone in the water and it takes a few extra hours before you can get home and log on on your PC < assuming you can log on remotely> can you cancel it by calling a number on a mates phone or on VHF?

When it says your trip is recorded via GPS who gets to view that info? < would be a great way to find fishing spots> ;D

Cheers Dave

MTAQ/BTAQ
07-07-2013, 07:35 AM
It is a good idea which i promote in my boat licence courses, especially appeals to the I phone generation who find the radio too complicated.

WalrusLike
07-07-2013, 10:25 PM
I used it today. Came back from Dunwich to Manly. Didn't expect any problems but without bothering the on duty guys I got safety coverage for the trip.

It's a no brainier for me.

I know how to use the radio, and would if I needed to, but this didn't require any radio chatter and still got the job done.

SatNav
08-07-2013, 07:41 AM
"especially appeals to the I phone generation who find the radio too complicated."

1. No wonder then the boating competence levels and standards are falling.

2. Maybe the I phone generation should stick to their texting and social mediore content.

"I phone generation who find the radio too complicated"

3. And I thought I had heard it all.

ozscott
08-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Ha Harrr me hearty...all I need is my Parrot, my sextant and the wind at my back....harrr....I dont need these modern things...VHF...VHF....when I was a boy there was no such things as an acronym....harrr!

lethal098
08-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Sat Nav,

Do you ever have anything good to say?

This APP has been used AROUND the world before being implemented by The Australian Volunteer Coastguard, Is has purely been looked at as and extra safety measure for those people that care about being watched over while on the water, as you may OR MAY NOT KNOW the vast majority of boaters do not log on with their local rescue group, HOPEFULLY with this app more and more people will start using at least the APP to log on for their trip, and then maybe they can be educated on logging on via radio also. As always when loggin on in any fashion It allows the boatie the peace of mind to know someone is watching over them.

To answer the other questions, The gps location is onyl monitored by the control room in Victoria, and i can tell you these guys are that busy that wont care about where you are, they only start getting concerned when the signal disapears (if you have plenty of battery and coverage at the time) all of this info they monitor. If your phone goes for a swim, i think someone may be starting to look for you, At least if you had logged on with local Coastguard then we can still try and contact you via Marine Radio, or you could radio us and tell us to stop the process happening.

and for 20 cents per trip, pretty cheap i reckon and at least u know the $$ are going to a worthy cause.

Cheers Lee

MTAQ/BTAQ
09-07-2013, 12:25 PM
The Times they are a changing - if you cant' lend a hand then get out of the way - The Times they are a changing!

WalrusLike
09-07-2013, 12:50 PM
I notice some believe the app should be used in addition to the standard radio or telephone log on.

I use it instead of the radio because its quicker and easier and doesn't trouble the on duty operator.

I don't quite understand why you would do both? Is that what is being suggested? Or have I misunderstood?

ozscott
09-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Mate - I understood it was two separate systems, therefore 2 coverages.

Cheers

lethal098
09-07-2013, 02:27 PM
thats right 2 separate systems,

I personally when going offshore log on using my safetrx and then log on via radio as well,

Reason being is that if i do lose phone coverage i can still have contact with The radio room so that if i decide to stay longer than i had put on Safetrx at least the Coast Guard Radio room can still monitor me and pass on information if needed,

cobiaman
09-07-2013, 02:33 PM
1.Sat Nav,

2.Do you ever have anything good to say?

3.This APP has been used AROUND the world before being implemented by The Australian Volunteer Coastguard, Is has purely been looked at as and extra safety measure for those people that care about being watched over while on the water, as you may OR MAY NOT KNOW the vast majority of boaters do not log on with their local rescue group, HOPEFULLY with this app more and more people will start using at least the APP to log on for their trip, and then maybe they can be educated on logging on via radio also. As always when loggin on in any fashion It allows the boatie the peace of mind to know someone is watching over them.

4.To answer the other questions, The gps location is onyl monitored by the control room in Victoria, and i can tell you these guys are that busy that wont care about where you are, they only start getting concerned when the signal disapears (if you have plenty of battery and coverage at the time) all of this info they monitor. If your phone goes for a swim, i think someone may be starting to look for you, At least if you had logged on with local Coastguard then we can still try and contact you via Marine Radio, or you could radio us and tell us to stop the process happening.

4a.and for 20 cents per trip, pretty cheap i reckon and at least u know the $$ are going to a worthy cause.

5.Cheers Lee

1.Edited so that SATNAV can understand you...

lethal098
09-07-2013, 03:26 PM
1.Ah,
2.Knew i forgot something,
3.Thanks Cobiaman

ozscott
09-07-2013, 03:58 PM
1. You 2. blokes 3. really 4. need 5. to 6. get 7. with 8. the 9. plan 10! 11 Cheers