PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Boats

thelump
03-07-2013, 01:35 PM
I have just been talking to a boat dealership in NSW and he informed me that the Haines Group have bought out Tournament Pleasure Boats!. Will be interesting to see if they retain their designs or do what they did with Seafarer?? Either way it is another good little boat builder gone!

ozynorts
03-07-2013, 02:32 PM
I knew that Tournament were for sale but didn't hear who bought them. Will be interesting to see.

FisHard
03-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Very interesting! Gosh if the Haines group keep buying up competitors, there will be no one left!

Still_Dreamin
03-07-2013, 05:38 PM
What happens to my warranty? Only bought it last year!

WalrusLike
03-07-2013, 05:47 PM
You'll be right SD. In the first case you won't need to claim. In the second it will be honoured by Haines group or their name would be mud.

Shouldn't affect you is my bet.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Shark Poker
03-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Yes it is official according to the MQ site as well.
But Tournament Boats has been kind of quietly for sale for a little while as the owners wanted to focus on Australian Marine Centre instead of running Tournament as well.
Changes in Springwood have been dramatic.
Springwood Marines service centre is now independently owned and located. And named Mikes Service Centre. (Go Mike!)
Springwood are now an E-tec dealer thanks to some deal between E-tec and Qunitrex.
And Suzuki outboards are not available thru Springwood Marine (!) but thru Australian Marine Centre (AMC)

Possibly The Haines Group who sell Suzuki, has traded the Tournament business for a shitload of Suzuki outboards, who knows?
The big question is will the Haines Group accomplish much with another bunch of brands and models. They already have so many with Haines Signature, Haines Traveller, Seafarer, certain old classics plus now the Tournament range. Are there enough dealers left in Oz to represent the brands?
Or will their moulds go ... mouldy?
Pauly

Noelm
03-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Very interesting! Gosh if the Haines group keep buying up competitors, there will be no one left!
Kind of like what Telwater have with Stacer etc!

Shark Poker
03-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Yes Noelm, but Stacer was only their second brand,
Apparently purchased just after Mercury Marine bought Savage. (Yes the same Savage later and now owned by Telwater)
Some saw it as a move to block further outboard ownership of the industry. Part of our fear is that when a motor company buys a boat builder, they do it to buy transoms to put their own motors on, rather than develop the boats.
In any case Telwater developed Stacer like anything and took on more dealerships. Huge success story.
But when Telwater bough Ally Craft later, well..... not much or maybe nothing happened of that except gaining their diminishing dealer network.
I suspect the acquisition of Tournament Boats appears more like the last examples....

lampuki
03-07-2013, 06:13 PM
have known about this for a little while. Its a shame. Rod was the best customer service person I have dealt with. All the best for the future. I will b writing up a thread on the worked I have done with them recently.

ozynorts
03-07-2013, 06:26 PM
There used to be Johnston outboards before they got bought out by Suzuki (Haines group) and they are now gone too.

Shark Poker
03-07-2013, 06:33 PM
How did you work that out? Wasn't Johnson and Evinrude, previously owned by OMC, sold after bankruptcy to BRP who turned the whole exciting bunch into Evinrude E-Tech, and let the Johnson name just drift away into the night?

Greg P
03-07-2013, 06:43 PM
There used to be Johnston outboards before they got bought out by Suzuki (Haines group) and they are now gone too.

Think you have some crossed wires there mate ??

thelump
03-07-2013, 07:29 PM
What happens to my warranty? Only bought it last year!

There is a member on here who will probably chime in on this that has a second hand tournament and was told by the director that the warranty (10yrs) doesn't carry over from the original owner to him!!!! I find this strange as I thought the boat was under warranty not the owner. Will be interesting to see what Haines will do or not do!

oldie
03-07-2013, 08:23 PM
too off topic

ozynorts
04-07-2013, 07:33 AM

Changing feet now.......

Noelm
04-07-2013, 11:19 AM
I see some "interesting" times for the whole marine industry coming up, lots of operators will go belly up (in my opinion) the bigger movers and shakers will perhaps buy some of the "little guys" and simply close the doors, thus diminishing competition (like Telwater in a way) I an also see (again in my opinion) that we might see a couple of manufacturer boat, motor trailer packages, kind of like buying a car, you will simply wander in, have a look around at complete packages, and decide you want the white one, and you will pick it up tomorrow. Whether that happens or not, I am not 100% sure, but I do see a kind of trend like that now, the days of picking a brand X, and wanting a 150HP brand Y will be over, there will be only a dozen dealers around in each state and you will buy a complete ready to go rig from them. (I think)

liltuffy
04-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks Macca, bought my 2010 1900 Bluewater in January this year. I looked at imports but decided instead to support the local blokes and help keep some choice in the marketplace for us all.

Anyway took it to Rod at Tournament for some "customisation" work and to have some extra bling work done. Anyway after hearing the news the other day I mailed Rod yesterday on a couple of issues, part of his response "Yes, Haines have purchased, we have never had a structural claim & like any other fibreglass manufacturer, warranty for subsequent owners does not carry over, however your peace of mind should be fine with the quality of the product we put out!"

Shame really because I had a Seafarer for 20 years, now a Tournament - both been sucked up by the Haines group.

I'm very happy with the boat, Rod's service and the work they have done, just a shame another good quality Aussie boat builder has gone - for whatever reason.

Craig

lampuki
04-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Hi Craig.

I thought of you when i found this out but was asked to keep it quiet. Out of interest, how does the 1900 ride?

liltuffy
04-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Hi Steve, no worries mate. Very happy with the ride, it's got a 125 Opti on it and happily gets along burning 1.8 to 1.9 km per litre at about 45-50km/h. You should come for a ride some time and check it for youself, I'm still at the same address if you want to come take a look.

fisho8
04-07-2013, 05:19 PM
I found out the other day also I was sad to hear this my mate has a 2000 Bluewater and was worried about the same thing as far as warranty went. He was told to take it back to the dealer he purchased it from and things should be fine as warranty goes with the hull. He bought the boat from Aussie Marine Centre. They are a great Aussie fibreglass boat I hope the Haines group keeps making them.

lampuki
04-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Hi Craig. I really want to do some crabbin down our way, also chase some Spaniards this year. I'll send u a pm next week when I get my boat back, I look forward to catching up.

Jakers 69
04-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Bought my boat as a Haines Traveller TC200, next it was a Seafarer, and just saw it last week under a new name.
?

Chimo
04-07-2013, 07:41 PM
So cobber, what is it called now?

Has it gone up in value as its now 3 boats?

Sorry couldn't help it!

tangles2000
08-07-2013, 09:13 AM
thanks for the kind words Steve & Craig & for all that have supported the brand over the years, I am sure that THG will look after TPB & take it to the next level!

FYI, we will be having a factory sale next Sunday, 14 July. There are many fittings, deck, plumbing, stainless bolts, nuts, screws, a complete stainless targa with bimini cover, a new 5m open boat, carpet, pallet racking, boat trolleys, benches & more. All this at cost or below, must sell the lot, will start at 7am till 3pm at 2/13 Octal St Yatala, exit 41 off M1
PM me if you want to get in early!
cheers all, regards Rod

Beatsworkin2
08-07-2013, 03:31 PM
How much for a 2100 walk around cabin door tangles

tangles2000
08-07-2013, 04:49 PM
for you Mick, nothing! :)

Still_Dreamin
08-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Hey tangles2000 what happens to warranties. Will the Haines group honour it? Will AMC honour it?

outta line
13-07-2013, 07:41 AM
thanks for the kind words Steve & Craig & for all that have supported the brand over the years, I am sure that THG will look after TPB & take it to the next level!

FYI, we will be having a factory sale next Sunday, 14 July. There are many fittings, deck, plumbing, stainless bolts, nuts, screws, a complete stainless targa with bimini cover, a new 5m open boat, carpet, pallet racking, boat trolleys, benches & more. All this at cost or below, must sell the lot, will start at 7am till 3pm at 2/13 Octal St Yatala, exit 41 off M1
PM me if you want to get in early!
cheers all, regards Rod

Hi rod ..is this sale still happening tomorrow ? Will there be any dash panels for sale mate? Iam at Ormeau so will come have a look cheers mick

tangles2000
13-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Hi mick
Yep sale on, I have dash panel inserts for 2000 blue water if that's what u require? U may be able to adapt to suit other boats?
All other glass fab bits are gone, :(
Might c u in the morning
Cheers

outta line
13-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Hi mick
Yep sale on, I have dash panel inserts for 2000 blue water if that's what u require? U may be able to adapt to suit other boats?
All other glass fab bits are gone, :(
Might c u in the morning
Cheers
That sound good .. can you hold one for me ill be there fist thing in the morning ...hopefully it will be what I am after ill have a look at pics of dash online tonite .. Cheers mick

Glass shark
16-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Well I just possibly took one of the last boats out of the yard from tournament. Got my 1900 centre console from AMC only 6 weeks ago. Magic boat it's a shame if they Haines don't keep making them. I'm not concerned just looking at the quality but if something major was to happen And warranty wasn't honored im pretty sure I'd have a case against Haines or directors of tournament considering that an acquisition was already probably taking place.

Argle
17-08-2013, 12:45 PM
I don't think you guys will have to worry too much about warranty claims on your quality glass boats - its not like they're aluminium or anything! ;)

rainbow runner
17-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Hi Tangles2000

Do you still have any of the dash inserts left for the 2000 blue water ??

Regards
Mark

Lancair
18-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Damn I missed the post about the sale going on. Id love some cockpit side padding for my Tournament 1800.
Guess Ill just have to make em myself now!