PDA

View Full Version : ALVEY GRBC and Noise?

MrMullet
03-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Hi guys,

i have managed to pick up an Alvey GRBC and im having fun with the high speed retrieve but i have noticed that the reel sure is noisy! I understand that the gears would generate some sort of noise as opposed to my 1:1 alveys but this is a grindy/zippy type noise thats fairly audible when the reel is kicked in.

Do these reels normally sound this noisy or has the previous owner done some DIY repairs and this has resulted in a noisy reel? :(

thanks!

MrMullet
06-07-2013, 01:01 PM
im guessing no one here has an Alvey GRBC (or a GRC for that matter) that they can comment on?

banshee
06-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Twelve years in a tackle shop selling and servicing reels and I've only ever seen one......and that was a special order for a customer.I'm guessing that they are pretty light on the ground which is probably why your not getting a response to your question.

theoldlegend
07-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Did you buy it new? You could take it back and ask them to look at it for you.

Failing that, you could ring Alvey Reels and speak to somebody there. They are very helpful and may be aware of any issues. They would probably help out with some advice.

TOL

I've seen them on the shelves, but never seen anybody using them.

MrMullet
09-07-2013, 08:35 AM
In light of the lack of responses on here (due to the rarity of these reels in fisherman's hands) i decided to give Alvey a call.

So i ring the number and a nice lady answers, i tell her im having problems with a reel and she tells me to hold on... the next thing i hear is "Alvey reels, this is Bruce Alvey, how can i help you" WHAAAT!! at this point i kinda started stumbling all over the place, i didnt expect Bruce to be helping me out! Long story short, he explained what was wrong (the previous owner must havetaken it apart and when he placed the gears back in he didnt pay attention to how well they meshed). Bruce also offered to send out some brass shims which an be used to adjust a gear free of charge, im glad i use the Alvey reels almost exclusively (this is my 6th Alvey)!

I guess this post serves to highlight 2 things,

1. The amazing service you get when you buy an Alvey reel.
2. The remedy for a noisy Alvey GRBC should anyone come across the same issue.

theoldlegend
09-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Bruce is very good. Their customer service is second to none.

TOL

BigE
13-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Outstanding. Bruce was probably chuffed he could help some with there alvey ...... not much call for trouble shooting on alveys, simple and bullet proof.

BigE