PDA

View Full Version : Trailer roller tools

Justin Rossiter
01-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Going to drop the boat in the water and replace 2 keel rollers in the ramp carpark. Only 2 minutes from home but was trying to think of what tools I will need to take with me as this is my first time. Any suggestions welcome.

J

Casey Ison
01-07-2013, 05:56 PM
normally just a set of pliers some grease and new split pins would be all u should need. possibly a wire brush or cordless grinder if your rollers pins are rusty?

cheers.

solemandownunder
01-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Going to drop the boat in the water and replace 2 keel rollers in the ramp carpark. Only 2 minutes from home but was trying to think of what tools I will need to take with me as this is my first time. Any suggestions welcome.

J

All depends on any rust prevelant on the bolts & shafts I would imagine. A good dose of Penetrol on all rusty bolts beforehand would be adviseable.

We are about to do this with our boat trailer very shortly.

I notice that the drop bars for the rollers on 2 of our replacements have been bent a little, so I will use an angle grinder & cut these off flush before I begin.

Tools.....and TWO people would be good.....

Correct fitting spanners & strong shifter & GOOD vicegrips
Hammer/s.
HUGE flat screwdriver for leverage & maybe pinch bar.
STRONG Tape measure to line up all bottom rollers for correct hight....alternately a strait-edge of the desired length.

This is what I am taking so far.....I am sure others will think of things I haven't thought of as well ::)

Cheers, Ray.

Casey Ison
01-07-2013, 06:17 PM
if your only replacing your keel rollers you should not need to alter any of your heights etc, unless of course (as solemandownunder said) your drop bars are buggered otherwise u just need to cut the split pins push the roller pin out brush it up grease and and put the new roller in place and new split pin.

Justin Rossiter
01-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the repliesNot a lot of rust and everything is aligned.
J

Gon Fishun
01-07-2013, 08:47 PM
A pin punch, in case split pins have a build up in side and are stuck.

Chimo
01-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Hammer, drift, pliers, grease, rags, screwdivers and the replacement bits.

tunaticer
01-07-2013, 09:11 PM
The drift will be your best friend if an axle has rusted inside a roller, if that doesn't work an angle grinder to shorten the shaft so the roller and axle come out as one.

PixieAU
02-07-2013, 07:24 AM
take a very big hammer with all the other tools. I did mine with the boat on the trailer in the driveway. glad I did too because it took ages to bash the pins out which had been put in wrong (along with the wrong roller material - black rubber for an aluminium boat). ended up having to cut into the rollers to get them out. replaced the drop bars while at it - so cheap to do whole you're there.

no need to take the boat off for the few I did. drop bars just slipped out between the hull and trailer once the roller was off.

STUIE63
02-07-2013, 07:32 AM
I find that a battery drill and the right size bit for the split pin holes is handy to have if the split pins are rusted in and break

Giffo65
02-07-2013, 08:31 AM
I did this job a few weeks ago myself. Dropped the boat off at the ramp and forgot to bring the pliers, oh well I thought I will use the stainless buggers in the boat, I broke them trying to do the job and now have a shiny new set in the boat. I replaced my roller pins with 16 mm stainless rod. The old stainless split pins had rusted into the mild steel roller pins, a pin punch, Lump Hammer and vice grips would of been handy. The trailer is flasher than a Rat with a gold tooth now though !