PDA

View Full Version : Custom boat cover

Stansy
30-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Hey Guys, thought I would share good service story with you.
I have a 2250 centre cab boat which unfortunately has been sitting idle of late due to work commitments and unprotected from the weather.
Was going to install awning for boat but estimate costs excess $24000+, but decided to have custom made storage cover made.
I Obtained 3 quotes and ended going with Gary from Rowland St Boat Trimmers at spring wood.
They also replaced the top cover and extension, the front and side clears and modified the storm cover to fit over bait box.
Was all made from Sunbrella material, and ultra clears. They did a fantastic job, and looks great, the storage cover fits like a glove.
Was all completed in the week time frame that was promised, ( not so for the concreting job thats being done at home at the same time).
Due to a 2/3 week delay in having work completed at home, Gary has offered to leave and store my boat at his workshop till I can get it home.
What a great service and a great bunch of guys, will highly recommend them
Here is couple of pics
Mark

Captain Seaweed
01-07-2013, 05:28 AM
Garry is a good bloke, he did work on my old boat.

Shark Poker
01-07-2013, 05:39 AM
Great post, Mark.
Rowland Street did some side curtains on a mates' Signature a couple of weeks ago and the owner is really pleased.

WalrusLike
01-07-2013, 11:01 AM
I was shocked by a huge quote for something similar... Nearly $5000

Decided to buy one off shelf for $300 ish.

Feel feel to ignore if you prefer.... but I wonder could you say what yours cost?

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Stansy
01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
I was shocked by a huge quote for something similar... Nearly $5000

Decided to buy one off shelf for $300 ish.

Feel feel to ignore if you prefer.... but I wonder could you say what yours cost?

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Hey mate the cover cost $2000 custom made for this boat and fit like a glove. All made sunbrella material with 10 year guarantee, can tow with it on. For me good value.
Mark

Chimo
01-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Hi Mark

What did they do to protect the corners where the fabric rest / rubs on metal etc?

There is no doubt that if the boat is stored out of the sun and wind and the material is suspended in mid air as on a bimini etc it will last. My sunbrella bimini was about 15 yrs old when it was replaced with a FRP hardtop as it was starting to leak and you could see the sun thru it. But I have found in the past that even sunbrella is not so durable over time that it resists rubbing or being rubbed on corners and that IMHO is its downfall.

Cheers
Chimo

Stansy
01-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Hi Mark

What did they do to protect the corners where the fabric rest / rubs on metal etc?

There is no doubt that if the boat is stored out of the sun and wind and the material is suspended in mid air as on a bimini etc it will last. My sunbrella bimini was about 15 yrs old when it was replaced with a FRP hardtop as it was starting to leak and you could see the sun thru it. But I have found in the past that even sunbrella is not so durable over time that it resists rubbing or being rubbed on corners and that IMHO is its downfall.

Cheers
Chimo

Hey Chimo

They have made patches which have been stitched in all places where a rub point is found on boat. They have also made a top rod (visible in top image) which is fitted into the rocket launcher. Cover dose not appear to touch Bimini top at all, however Gary said if i find any point that looks to rub in the future, mark the point and bring it back to have patch stitched in.
Cheers Mark

stevemid
01-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Hi Stansy,
I'd keep a close watch on the chafe points, I used a German Sunbrella-like product from Bainbridge ("supposedly = to or better than) on a boom bag on the sail boat and where the tied-off halyards flopped against it, it chafed through in no time, on the mooring! Same on my spray dodger where the sunbrella touched the bows. Towing at speed could produce flapping which may chafe through quickly.

Stansy
01-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Hi Stansy,
I'd keep a close watch on the chafe points, I used a German Sunbrella-like product from Bainbridge ("supposedly = to or better than) on a boom bag on the sail boat and where the tied-off halyards flopped against it, it chafed through in no time, on the mooring! Same on my spray dodger where the sunbrella touched the bows. Towing at speed could produce flapping which may chafe through quickly.

Hey Steve
I take you point but I do not intend on towing boat with cover on it other than towing home from trimmers. Boat will be parked/ stored on concrete pad next to house in fairly protected area, when not on the water.
Mark

rtp1984
01-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Great post mate. I like seeing a good word spread round for a good job.

Thanks
Rob