PDA

View Full Version : How much does sandblasting cost?

oldie
30-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Hi crew just wondering if anyone knows how much sandblasting usually cost? say on a 6.1m plate alloy boat a good all over blast to remove paint? and where on the gold coast tweed area may offer the service

also how do they remove from trailer to do under neath? ad is there a machine i could hire from say Coats hire and do it myself?

any info is always appreciated

fandtm666
30-06-2013, 03:56 PM
there are 2 on the tweed

chindra = $4 per minute

murbah = $5 + gst per minute

the one at murbah may be best for your boat due to size because i dont
think that the chindra fella has a booth big enough.

So looking at those prices could cost a fair bit , have you thought about using
paint stripper and water blasting.

oldie
30-06-2013, 04:34 PM
just figured sandblasting would give best result

$4 per minute how long would it take 2 hours? thats $440 which i be prepared to pay for the right result

fandtm666
30-06-2013, 04:44 PM
i can pop down tomorrow and grab his number for you
and you can give him a buzz.

oldie
30-06-2013, 04:56 PM
i know where it is at Chinderah i actually did a search and hes near the old sleekline marine so can drop in there and get an idea price wise but appreciate the offer mate

Casey Ison
30-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Hi mate I have had cars sand blasted cost a $1000 so im guessing the boat will be quiet a bit more then that. But that's only my experience with them.

cheers !

MEGA'bite
30-06-2013, 05:23 PM
your better off with soda blasting better finish, just don't get it done on the grass takes 12 months to grow back

Birdy
30-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Oldie ,

Beware sandblasting will tear any bog off the hull too .Most plate boats have two pack bog under the paint to achieve a smooth finish to hide welds, grinds ,welding heat creases and scratches.
It may not be as easy as painting the hull once sand blasted.

Birdy

oldie
30-06-2013, 05:30 PM
I wasn't sure if soda blasting was bad for alloy boats? its an older plate boat an old Yellowfin style

MEGA'bite
30-06-2013, 05:43 PM
soda is not as harsh as sand on any surface, check it out oldie, I had it done on a glass boat to remove the antifoul

oldie
30-06-2013, 05:46 PM
did it remove the full anti foul back to gel coat or still remnants of it?

Moonlighter
30-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Mega is right, soda is the better option on alloy boats too. Sand is far too harsh. You can bank on quite extensive prep work, bogging, fairing and sanding, etch primer, undercoats etc if you want to get a really good finish. Best to get someone who has done lots of boats to do it.

I know a bloke who does boats and has the skills, equipment etc over at Tingalpa on Brisbane's bayside. Pm me if youd like his details.

oldie
30-06-2013, 05:56 PM
thanks moonlighter ill let you know just weighing up the costings at this stage on a potential project

Schulzy
30-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Wat about dry ice blasting?

oldie
30-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Never heard of it?!?

Schulzy
30-06-2013, 07:30 PM
A bloke use to come to my old work and blast the under side of the trains so they could be ndt'd he was mobile

tunaticer
30-06-2013, 07:59 PM
There are a few blasters around that use garnet instead of ilmenite to blast boats and cars with. Finer grain size with less penetration and less heat for a less destructive finish to standard sand blasting.

SunnyCoastMark
01-07-2013, 10:46 PM
I had the inside of my hull done (about 2/3rds of the bottom) on my 6.4m platey. Cost me $300.

They used Garnet - came up a treat. Only way I was going to be satisfied that the corrosion/pitting I found wasn't going to progress any further.
Due to the cost (of sandblasting the whole boat)- I used wire buffs, paint stripper and a gerni on the rest of the boat. Lot of hard work though........

My advice?? - If you have the spare coin - have it sand blasted. If you don't have the coin - better buy a carton or three and invite some mates over for a working bee.;)

Mark

lee8sec
29-12-2013, 08:16 PM
I had the inside of my hull done (about 2/3rds of the bottom) on my 6.4m platey. Cost me $300.

They used Garnet - came up a treat. Only way I was going to be satisfied that the corrosion/pitting I found wasn't going to progress any further.
Due to the cost (of sandblasting the whole boat)- I used wire buffs, paint stripper and a gerni on the rest of the boat. Lot of hard work though........

My advice?? - If you have the spare coin - have it sand blasted. If you don't have the coin - better buy a carton or three and invite some mates over for a working bee.;)

Mark

Mark, did you have alloy welding done after the blasting? If so any problems with contamination? I will need the inside done, for the same reason.
Who did you use? Thanks Leigh

SunnyCoastMark
30-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Mark, did you have alloy welding done after the blasting? If so any problems with contamination? I will need the inside done, for the same reason.
Who did you use? Thanks Leigh

Yes, Leigh, I did some welding on the hull, Sandblasting will get most of the external stuff and a bit of heat from the oxy will draw out any remaining contaminates. You have to know what you are doing though.
For the sandblasting I used Noosa Crane hire. Should be someone up your way though.
Mark.

lee8sec
31-12-2013, 06:24 AM
Thanks Mark. I will ring around after they all go back to work & see what there quoting. Leigh

Danstu
01-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Hi
just had 14 foot tinny done at a cost of 100 an hour and it took 5 hours. That was soda blasting though. A mob called Sandvick from memory at Brendale. Found them on the net.