PDA

View Full Version : Tiller steer to side console conversion

dazyz1
30-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm about to start the process of converting my tinny (Quintrex 440 Dory) from a tiller steer to a side console. There are a couple of other modifications I'll make along with the side console such as an underfloor fuel tank, removal of the front spray deck and addition of a casting deck, modification of the gunnels to run right around the new front deck, a motor well and the removal of the rear seat.

I've got a question for those of you that may have had something to do with boat building or modifications. I am wondering whether to position the underfloor tank just behind the front seat or directly under it? I get the idea from most people that the best place for the tank is closest to middle of the boat but I am inclined to position the tank a bit further forward in the boat as I've got an ETEC 40 with power trim and tilt on the back which weighs quite a bit and in its current configuration the boat seems a bit heavy in ass. I'm thinking a bit more weight up the front might make the boat better balanced and improve the ride in a bit of chop. I should mention that I'm thinking of around a 50l tank. I intend on removing the front seat when I build the casting deck and replacing it with an ally frame sheeted with an ally or ply deck. This will make it easy to fit (and access at a later date) the tank if it ends up under the current front seat position.

Some of you may be inclined to advise me that I'll be better off buying something that's
set up the way I want it but I intend on building a 6.2m plate alloy boat kit next year and I think this project will be a good 'warm up' for me before I tackle a full build.

Having said that any advice is appreciated.

Shark Poker
30-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Sounds like sensible planning.
The fwd/aft balance has to be optimised before you can position a side console, otherwise it can not work with just person on situated on one side.
I would look at moving the batteries and fuel tank around.
Yes, IMO, this project would be a great step in prep of a new build.
Pauly

mad matt
30-06-2013, 07:03 PM
I have a stessco kakadu karrier 4.6 and I did the change from tiller to side console,all went well did it myself no real dramas .Had a few issues with the console to make my own out of ally or buy a ready made from bias.I had one made up a cut done centre console in fibreglass worked with the guy to get it right very happy with the result.Loaded in all new electrics and refited out the casting decks ect.It still has lots of potential but I am buying a 4.5 fisher centre console.If you look on eBay under side console the guy is selling the console we made for $600 that includes windscreen the photos are of it in my boat.Good luck with it mad matt

craigk1
30-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Hi mate if I was going to deck a boat out like yours I would look at other quintrex like renagade an use the same set up as that boat would be well balanced takes the risk of having unbalanced boat and redoing work