PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find serial number on Mercury/Tohatsu 40HP 3cylinder 2-Stroke

BenAllen82
29-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Hey guys,
Got this Mercury (Tohatsu) 40HP 3 cylinder 2-Stroke motor off a bloke a little while back, finally found a hull I could put it on. As I went to register it i lifted the cowel to get the serial number off the sticker located on top of the block, the whole motor had been covered in a thing film of lanolin oil and the serial number was a little hard to read, as I wiped it it has taken the serial number and bar code right off. After a reasonable search of the rest of the outboard I cant find anything else, but have been advised that it should be stamped on the block somewhere.

Can anyone tell me exactly where this location might be, I'm not sure of the year but it is near identical to the 2008 40HP Lightning XR i have on my runabout except it is tiller and does not have the elec trim tilt.

We have looked at past rego details from the gentleman on his boat but were left with a dead end.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Fed
29-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Try this...
Serial Number Location
The Outboard serial number is located on the lower
starboard side of the engine block. A serial number
is also located on the starboard side of the swivel
bracket.

BenAllen82
29-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes I found a small welsh plug under the electrics box on the starboard side with a hand stamped number 61105 which im guessing is the tohatsu factory block number. Now to track forward from there. If anyone can point me in the right direction for a tracking site.

Thanks guys

Fed
30-06-2013, 06:08 PM
I think Mercury stopped equating serial numbers to build years back in '97 so if it's newer than that & Tohatsu followed their lead you probably won't find anything.